Weird pizza toppings

Been meaning to try pineapple and anchovy.

meta: tldw. Sent me down a rabbit hole, looking for software to download the automatically-generated transcripts so I can just read the thing.

Code:
./youtube-dl --all-subs --skip-download "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Hw42Xqpn2Y"

You're welcome.

I've had clam pizza a bunch of times, very nice.

We had a lot of zucchini this year, so I put zucchini ribbons on a pizza recently.

Put gyro meat, feta, black olives, and peppers on it and you have a Greek pizza.

I've heard of the "jewish" pizza, with cream cheese and lox, but I've never had one.

We make "Reuben" pizzas.... Russian dressing as the sauce, sauerkraut, corned beef (smoked, preferably), and swiss cheese. Absolutely delicious. Even better with pizza dough with some rye flour in it.

There must be something about slathering things on a flat piece of dough and baking it that makes anything taste wonderful. I have had some weird combinations in a half dozen different countries and I never had a pizza I didn't like, except one time in Italy, It tasted like bland ketchup on a burnt saltine cracker. Of course though, that was when I learned that the Italian word for "pepperoncini" is not the same thing as pepperoni.

I spent some time in Trinidad and they put mayonnaise on pizza, I did not try it. The mayo was in pump containers and added after the pizza was cooked.

Weirdest pizza toppings I've ever seen were at Pizzeria Lola in Minneapolis, https://www.pizzerialola.com/. This was a Triple D spot some years ago.

Some of the stuff is normal, but then they start adding things like homemade kimchi and soy chili-glaze. Feta, olives and ...almonds?

Seared Ahi tuna on an Asian inspired pizza would be great!

It's a thing in Southeast Asia, as well as shrimp and kimchi. Pizza Hut makes some odd ones down there.

Don't get me started with pineapple on pizza. It's like putting chocolate on a hamburger.

BTW I love tuna salad, but I detest tuna cooked in casseroles, so I doubt if I would like it on a pizza.

Don't get me started with pineapple on pizza. It's like putting chocolate on a hamburger.

I don’t know. Cocoa powder and chili powder mixed in with the ground beef sounds like it could be pretty tasty.

Wish they would get on board with American pepperoni instead of their salami. Kinda close. They also don't know what Italian sausage is.

Generally agree. Normally you can get scharf salami and that's as close as you get to pepperoni.

There's a fair number of Italians in Bavaria, but still rarely see Italian sausage outside of the butcher shop.

3rau0o.jpg

Living in Italy, tuna and onions was popular, and my wife’s favorite. I liked frutti di mare.

One of the strange (to me) conglomerations was egg and French fries. Another was pumpkin and prosciutto.

For fun I decided to go back and look at the menu from our local pizza joint outside of Mannheim. Besides the tuna mentioned earlier, here are the two other combos I find odd:

Ham, peas and egg
Spaghetti (and the regular pizza tomato sauce is replaced with bolognese)

The Mannheim/Heidelberg area is huge on Spargel....I mean asparagus. It is grown (and sold) EVERYWHERE in that area. I am surprised the local joint didn't have an asparagus pizza.

It looks like Godfather's Mexican pizza is still a menu item, but renamed as a 'Taco Pie.' The enlisted club in my kaserne in Germany had the same identical pizza. I used to order it all the time.

[rant] A PIZZA IS NOT A PIE! Yes, I'm screaming. A pie is a round confectionary dessert. If you make a dessert pizza, you may call it a pie. [/rant]

When I lived in Baltimore, we had Harley's sub shops. They sold pizza, but also a thing called a San Antonio Pie... "Something like a pizza, only better." It had chili on it rather than tomato sauce.

I've had Mac&Cheese pizza. It was good, but I like Mac&Cheese. Could have used a little more spice, but it was for kids (like me). ;)

I've had Mac&Cheese pizza. It was good, but I like Mac&Cheese. Could have used a little more spice, but it was for kids (like me). ;)

That sounds like it would be like a round lasagna. Mix in some Italian sausage, and I might be down with that.

Fat Germans sunbathe nude and wear black socks with sandals. I'm not at all interested in what they do with their pizza.
I've used just about all the things in that video on Pizza at one point or another, except pineapple (yuuch), egg, and kale. I've made a white pizza with alfredo sauce, shrimp and capers that was to die for. I've put both spinach and broccoli on pizza with a pesto sauce, I use feta cheese on those. Again yummy. However, most of the pizzas made in the kitchens of the Steinholme have a home made red sauce with anchovies, cheese, and little else. I bake them in my over as hot as I can get it. I wish I had pizza stone, but I broke my old one and I'm too cheap to replace it. There was a deep dish place that made an awesome broccoli and spinach pie, I've bog to try and replicate it one of these days. Used to be right next door to my airport.

I don't understand why people get so upset over pineapple pizza? It's not my favorite, but it's not near as bad as popular opinion would have you believe. I guess some people are just suckers for "popular opinion".

There was one pizza that thoroughly disgusted me. I was in a pizza joint in Gainesville Florida. It was full of college kids so I thought it would be good. They sold pizza by the slice (big slices) and they had this big, really good looking pizza on the warming rack. The cheese was dripping and it was covered with a bunch of big chunks of sausage. Or so I thought. I bit down on the first bite and tasted what I thought was paste. It was a tofu pizza and apparently there were NO seasonings in the tofu. Even the "cheese" was somehow made out of tofu. That was the ONLY pizza I was ever served and didn't eat.

Fat Germans sunbathe nude and wear black socks with sandals.

So you’re saying they’re smarter than most?

No point in tan lines if you’re already shooting for a nice melanoma, and why be debt-driven consumers and buy more than one kind of socks?

Spend the fashion sock money on Avgas and pizza.

I don't understand why people get so upset over pineapple pizza? It's not my favorite, but it's not near as bad as popular opinion would have you believe. I guess some people are just suckers for "popular opinion".

There was one pizza that thoroughly disgusted me. I was in a pizza joint in Gainesville Florida. It was full of college kids so I thought it would be good. They sold pizza by the slice (big slices) and they had this big, really good looking pizza on the warming rack. The cheese was dripping and it was covered with a bunch of big chunks of sausage. Or so I thought. I bit down on the first bite and tasted what I thought was paste. It was a tofu pizza and apparently there were NO seasonings in the tofu. Even the "cheese" was somehow made out of tofu. That was the ONLY pizza I was ever served and didn't eat.

I don't care if it's apples, grapes, mangos, or whatever. I do not like sweet things on my pizza, hamburger, steak, or salad. Period. If it is a fruit salad, then fine. But a fruit salad is a dessert. Now you put your pineapple in a Danish filling, and I'll happily woof it down. Maybe once or twice a year, which is about how often I allow myself a party or a donut.

Right there with you on the tofu pizza. It sounds like it belongs in a bad movie plot.

I don't care if it's apples, grapes, mangos, or whatever. I do not like sweet things on my pizza, hamburger, steak, or salad.

Funny thing is, I say the same thing to my wife all the time; NO SWEET stuff on my meat. Salads I can bend a little, but pizza is a culinary delight that I can enjoy with almost anything, unless I just happen to be in the mood for a spicy, savory pizza with cheese, pepperoni and a bunch of other good greasy meats.

[rant] A PIZZA IS NOT A PIE! Yes, I'm screaming. A pie is a round confectionary dessert. If you make a dessert pizza, you may call it a pie. [/rant]
Um... pizza literally means "pie."

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/pizza#Etymology

That's why most people where I'm from (NJ) don't say "pizza pie." It's redundant. You are either getting a "slice of pizza" or just getting "a pie" (or maybe "tomato pie" if there might be confusion). The default for "pie" in NJ is pizza. If you want some sort of filled fruit thing you have to specify "apple pie," "peach pie," etc. Otherwise if you just say "pie," you are talking about pizza.

http://www.cc.com/video-playlists/k...me-to-the-opposition-w--jordan-klepper/48vp8f

For you guys who don't like pineapple on your pizza - thanks, more for me. ;)

Pizza is pizza
Pie is torte

To the OP - cuttlefish

Saw it in Japan.

I have seen unidentifiable and unpronounceable things on Filipino and Japanese pizza....

Back