How did you decide how much plane to afford?

Very simple. I found the plane I wanted, 1964 C-182, and paid $12,000 cash in 1971. I have never borrowed a cent in my life. Fortunately it was wrecked by a runaway C-180 pm the ground, and I added $500 to the insurance money and bought a 1964 C-210D which I still have. Doing essentially all my maintenance and having my own hangar on my own airstrip these were not much concern.

I do not like owning an airplane when I do not have the ability to overhaul its engine(s) using liquid cash on hand. Sadly this rule probably keeps me out of turbines forever. :D

Oh I follow and agree with that philosophy.

I just wanted to add that there are some instances (pariah position admittedly) in which the whole airplane is a throwaway. I'd never put a fresh overhaul on my Arrow. It's not cosmetically mated to float the expense on the back end, since I'll never fly it for 2000 hours. Nobody will pay the engine premium staring at a paint job expense, so no sense in giving the next guy a free engine. To be clear, and this is often misunderstood, I can afford both the paint job and the engine; the value just isn't there for me. But that's me, the transactional owner; I'm not an emotionally invested orphan-type cultist.

I suppose when and if I dabble in a sample with more regulatory relief, I might be inclined to gamble more with my play money, but that's not germane to the point at hand. Cheers!

Preface: I spend a lot of time on financial forums. What this means is that we are inherently cheap or prudent but have reached a nice point of comfort such that work is no longer required. Yet, I am not sure how much I'd want to spend on a plane. I renewed my medical last week, hope to get in the sky this week. Doing Sporty's ground online.

I think I get the idea of paying attention to "the mission" to determine what plane folks buy.

What I don't get, is where the individualized sweet spot is for plane price, capability, comfort. Even considering the right plane for the mission there seems to be great variability from a high total time 1960's plane to a gently used or even new model.

How did you decide for yourself?
Anyone have a spouse not comfortable flying? I expect mine would prefer smoother flight in a more modern larger flight.
A partnership seems like a good way to move up market, has this worked for you?
It looks like a lot of first planes I'd consider now, were someone else's first planes 15-30 years ago.
Is there an aviation $$$ rule of thumb compared to income or networth?
In the perfect world you would just buy your last plane first. But you have a ways to go to figure out what that is.

Re: Spouses. Given what I see at the airports, if your wife is not a pilot you probably have a 2% chance she will enjoy pattern work and training, 10% chance she will want to tag along on 1hr burger runs and 60% chance she will tolerate it if these are longer trips in fairly comfortable planes that save a ton of driving to visit kids or you getting away as a couple. So in your first 100hrs, especially renting older slower planes you will mostly be in the 2%...10% range.

You make quickly find being cheap and owning a plane may not always mix nicely. Mainly because the repairs are 100% out of your control. To counter that - plan/budget ahead for the surprises. Have an a certain amount of cash set aside just for this stuff. If you don't you will get extremely frustrated.

I like @RudyP's response regarding toys vs Net Worth.

If you have access to more money than most of us, after you fly the first 100...200hrs and you have the urge for faster trips and dispatch in more challenging wx, I suspect you will find a 2, 3 or 4 way partnership in a SR22T. Many times I wish I was in a 50/50 partnership in a Cessna TTx. Just too much to take on the full brundt of the mx at 100% ownership.

Don't underestimate hangar costs either. Depending on where you are at this could easily be another $800/month you will never see back unless there is some business write off angle to reduce it.

You talk about the "sweet spot". That is tough because as you fly more you learn more and the target moves. When I started I knew a 182 was a good all around plane, fixed gear, great parts availability and just about anyone can work on them. Still absolutely love it. Fast forward 3 years and if I could afford a Cessna 400/TTx that is what I would own and fly. So even if I had access to more cash I would have missed it during that learning phase.

Things you can do right now to save money w/r to plane purchase is get the PPL and fly. Be realistic about how often its just you vs you and wife vs others. Once you exceed two people you start to want a 4 seater with more HP and room. Once you reach (4) you really need a (6) seater if you want room and performance margins.

To assist I suggest you provide answers to these questions:

- Absolute maximum $$$$ you want tied up in the plane purchase?
- How many people you plan on taking with for the majority of flights?
- What location will you be based out of?
- What are your top (3) trips that you think you would do often?
- Would you want to fly them year round?

...you will be surprised how quickly just those answers narrow down the available list of options.

Seriously though, I am really wanting to know how folks chose the specific price point they did. Is it just buy for what cash one has?

I set retirement goals and ensured my current investments and savings rate would meet those goals. Then I set aside assets for upcoming major expenses, which in my case includes college tuition for my kids. Then I set aside 3 months of income as an emergency fund, and set aside money for other wants of equal or greater priority, which in my case includes a down payment on a ski condo. The money remaining was my price point. I just put a deposit on a plane that was 75% of my price point.

I only finance two purchases: necessities such as reliable and safe cars, or appreciating assets such as real estate. Hard to go wrong with real estate as long as you don't overpay.

IMO financing a depreciating luxury lifestyle item such as a plane, boat, RV, or luxury car is madness. I would only finance an aircraft if it were a business requirement, or if I had substantial assets beyond my retirement requirements and did not want to disturb those investments.

My current flight instructor, the guy who did my most recent flight review, owns three planes. He was a CPA and was my personal accountant and my company's accountant before he sold his firm and retired several years ago. I'm hoping for some useful advice on plane purchasing strategies. For advice, I'd rather pay him CFI rates than CPA rates.

My wife has horses and rides/competes in dressage. I get absolutely NO flak about monthly expenses for my hobbies.

I can identify being married to a woman with horses.
My wife breeds, raises and trains horses for dressage. I tell our friends it's a contest to see which bankrupts the family first, her horses or my airplanes.

...Seriously though, I am really wanting to know how folks chose the specific price point they did...
Looked at how fat the wallet was. Asked if I could let myself thin it out that much, then keep doing that routinely and still live with myself.

Started looking at partnerships and clubs.

Still renting because the right thing has yet to come along, but since the 310 hasn’t been on the line to rent in forever, that’s kind of making we want to find the right partnership in one.

I crossed my fingers, closed my eyes and wrote a bunch of checks, hoping that they would clear.

I found out that my first wife did not like flying at all after we were married. That did not end well.

As for my second wife (30 years and counting), I took her flying on our second date, and did lazy 8s and chandelles. She had a blast, and I knew she was a “keeper”.

My wife has horses and rides/competes in dressage. I get absolutely NO flak about monthly expenses for my hobbies.

Ha! Ditto, plus daughter too. Total free pass on scrutiny.

OP - here's my thought process: Purchase price, whatever you feel comfortable writing a check for x 1.5 (because your gonna want/need stuff year 1). Comfortable means you wont care much looking at your bank account and it's not there. Monthly, plan on 1k out of pocket for a basic fixed gear in a hangar in a major metro. This doesnt include reserves or annuals, inspections, etc.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Ha! Ditto, plus daughter too. Total free pass on scrutiny.

You bet! For a guy with expensive hobbies, a wife who is an equestrienne is a great blessing. Plus...it's like..."honey, I'd be able to fly to watch all your horse shows...!!". Win/win/win.

You bet! For a guy with expensive hobbies, a wife who is an equestrienne is a great blessing. Plus...it's like..."honey, I'd be able to fly to watch all your horse shows...!!". Win/win/win.
Or in our case, the eventing venue is next door to the home airport!

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Hard question to answer, but one idea would be to do a reasonable analysis of the plane you want to buy to estimate your all-in monthly cost, and then set aside that amount of money for a few months to try the expense on for size. If it feels right, go for it. This is a little trick we have used because looking at a bill on paper and actually committing to it for 30 years (in the case of a house, for instance) are often very different things.

A couple points:

1) I have overshot and undershot my financial capability when buying planes. Undershooting is way better.

2) Buy a plane you can afford to fly as much as you want without much concern about the cost of fuel. That’s when it’s really fun.

3) Unless your budget is pretty substantial, I wouldn’t even consider newer planes. You can spend $80k on an older 182 and $500,000 on a newer one, and the difference in the actual plane is minor. The old one might actually appreciate in value, the new one will definitely depreciate.

Finally - my favorite saying about expenses and aviation:

Yes, I have spent and incredible amount of money on flying! The rest was just purely wasted.

I really like that first bit, that’s a solid way to do it.

Ideally you buy the cheapest airplane you can afford to maintain.

I initially bought a nearly-run-out, well maintained flight school 172M right after 9/11/ I think I paid 30ish, and it had Narco radios and a GX50.

Later on, I was looking for a J model Mooney. Price at the time was in the 150'sh, I was looking to spend about 70k. I ended up finding a Turbo Mooney M20k that was in Probate also selling for 160k, which I walked away with for a little over 80k.

Having both airplanes paid off certainly helps.

The 172 has been trusty and reliable. She's actually getting a new engine soon. I pay $2 a horsepower for my annuals.

The Mooney is a different story. I certainly poured money into a new Avionics Panel 10 years ago. Would not again.
The idea of Panel Mounted Latest and Greatest expense confounds me with all the new technology. Awesome to have a 650, 750, G1000, but...why?????

An Ipad, a 695 with a GDL or stratus do perfectly fine. Battery operated just in case. Plenty of USB batteries to boot.

I don't want to give Garmin a single spare penny of my money for their inflated, monopolistic predatory pricing.

Ideally you buy the cheapest airplane you can afford to maintain.

The Mooney is a different story. I certainly poured money into a new Avionics Panel 10 years ago. Would not again.
The idea of Panel Mounted Latest and Greatest expense confounds me with all the new technology. Awesome to have a 650, 750, G1000, but...why?????

I’ll never understand this attitude from a pilot.

What if someone said to you:
“The idea of spending all that money learning to fly and buying and maintaining an airplane. Awesome to have but why???? My car carries more weight, is more fuel efficient, and doesn’t destroy the environment with leaded fuel. Plus once I get somewhere I don’t need a courtesy car or rental.”

Personally I don’t judge. Buy what you want. If it’s your forever plane, buy the best you can afford, buy what will make you happy. If that’s a 40 year old Mooney or a brand new Cirrus or a TBM...I say go for it, you only live once.

I don't want to give Garmin a single spare penny of my money for their inflated, monopolistic predatory pricing.

They’re only a monopoly because Trio, Trutrak, Dynon, Avidyne....don’t seem to be investing the same amount of effort and money that Garmin does. Probably is a correlation.

To maximize flying time, and minimize down for maintenance time: Buy new.

\with a factory warranty
\\and dealer support
\\\and a parachute

Yes to most posted already.

Don’t know if it’s been posted, but you really only need to prorate your $$ then enter aviation where comfortable. Even just local flying with one extra seat can be doing well, then you have the other end of the spectrum.

Recently we went to a funeral for a mid 20’s individual, tragic accident. Just a reminder, no guarantee on tomorrow. There are times to let the wind carry caution away & act, my M.O. anyway.

Same stance I took when buying my house. I bought one for 1/3 to 1/4 of what I qualified for. Using The Rule of @RudyP I'm well less than 10% on toy cost vs net worth.

Take your initial calculation as to what you think you can afford monthly, then multiply that by 0.25. Then, take what your initial calculations as to what monthly fixed and operating costs will be and multiply by at least 2. If you take the results of your first calculation, deduct the results of your second calculation, and end up with a positive number, you should be OK.

I don't understand why you have hookers and blow listed AFTER bills are paid. Aren't they supposed to be clumped in there with your monthly expenses?

good point, except I don't have 'bill pay' set up for those expenses.........

good point, except I don't have 'bill pay' set up for those expenses.........

I can show you how to automate that so it's untraceable and at the same time you don't have to budget for it.

There's been some bad-mouthing of partnerships so I'd like to offer a contrary opinion. The keys to a good partnership are to know your partner(s) in terms of finanacial capability, intended use of the plane, and temperament (no my way or the highway personality, for example). Also, a good written agreement that offers a way to escape the partnership if things don't work out. I fly an older but very capable BE36 for about $12k/yr for 60 hrs/yr flying, with three partners. Availability of the plane is rarely an issue and conflicts are resolved amicably, without recourse so far to the written agreement's provisions to scheduling conflicts. This is an 18 year partnership with some turnover in membership over the years.

I do not own a plane because it makes financial sense. I own a plane because it affords me the ability to do what I want to do when I want to do it.

If I tried to apply common sense to any aviation equation I would not fly.

With regard to partnerships, DoubleD is correct. I just bought out my partner. Not because I wanted to, or that he needed to get out, but out of respect that he knew he was not going to fly ever again.

I did not want to him or me to be pressured into finding a new one. If i find a new one that I can get a long with then good. If not... oh well.

Reactions: JEB
Back