Aztec - Twin Engine Training - Question from a Newbie

Brieg H

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Brieg H
Hi Pilots,

My name is Brieg and I recently started training on a Piper Aztec C. My instructor and I can't find the book that shows the recommended settings for simulated single-engine work (when doing maneuvers below 3,000 ft. AGL). Any experts out there no where I could find this?

Thanks,
Brieg

What do you mean recommended settings?

I found this in the Aztec C manual in less than 5 minutes on the web.

'Pilots of this airplane should remain reasonably proficient
in single engine flight. In many cases, "simulated" single
engine operation (zero thrust condition, approximately 10 inches
of manifold pressure and 2200 RPM) will be preferable, but
actual single engine operation should be practiced occasionally".

I got my multi rating in an Aztec, but that was more than a few months ago.
I remember threading through thunderstorms at night looking for a soft spot with radar, cinching up my belt and hanging on to that tubing in the windshield.
Listening to the banging against the side of the fuselage from the props slinging ice off, that'll keep you awake.
Not the fastest or the sexiest plane, but what an honest pickup truck of a plane.

I found this in the Aztec C manual in less than 5 minutes on the web.

'Pilots of this airplane should remain reasonably proficient
in single engine flight. In many cases, "simulated" single
engine operation (zero thrust condition, approximately 10 inches
of manifold pressure and 2200 RPM) will be preferable, but
actual single engine operation should be practiced occasionally".

I got my multi rating in an Aztec, but that was more than a few months ago.
I remember threading through thunderstorms at night looking for a soft spot with radar, cinching up my belt and hanging on to that tubing in the windshield.
Listening to the banging against the side of the fuselage from the props slinging ice off, that'll keep you awake.
Not the fastest or the sexiest plane, but what an honest pickup truck of a plane.
Thanks so much! Really appreciate it! I certainly don't know much yet, but we've also been really impressed by the Aztec!

How does the CFI not know that?

May not be terribly familiar with the aircraft. Not uncommon in CFIs. I've flown so many different models I don't recall every detail of every type I've flown.

Reactions: smv
Zero thrust setting is pretty easy to determine in flight, if there is any question as to whether the book is right.

May not be terribly familiar with the aircraft. Not uncommon in CFIs. I've flown so many different models I don't recall every detail of every type I've flown.
Except that the FAA does require a certain amount of familiarity when giving instruction for a multiengine rating.

granted, that familiarity is measured in flight hours, which, as always, means next to nothing.

Except that the FAA does require a certain amount of familiarity when giving instruction for a multiengine rating.

granted, that familiarity is measured in flight hours, which, as always, means next to nothing.

Yep. Technically I'm qualified to teach in quite a few different multis but I'd really only consider giving dual in a Baron or an Aztec.

I can't help but wonder how good the instruction is going to be that the OP receives, when the instructor doesn't even have knowledge of and can't find the zero thrust power settings.

Zero thrust in level flight is usually pretty close to 10" in most NA light twins. I tweak it on final as the airspeed decays.

Thanks for the background. This Aztec seems to be running a little bit hot (compared to what we've heard from other Aztec owners). Even with the cowl flaps open, its not uncommon to consistently needing to drop the nose to get the oil temp to come back down as it rises quickly up to 220F or so (currently 100 weight oil in the plane). What has your experience been with the oil temp in Aztecs? Also, the right engine seems to be running 10-15F hotter than the left, have you ever seen that?

Thanks for the background. This Aztec seems to be running a little bit hot (compared to what we've heard from other Aztec owners). Even with the cowl flaps open, its not uncommon to consistently needing to drop the nose to get the oil temp to come back down as it rises quickly up to 220F or so (currently 100 weight oil in the plane). What has your experience been with the oil temp in Aztecs? Also, the right engine seems to be running 10-15F hotter than the left, have you ever seen that?

The Aztec cowls are quite poorly designed. They are actually quite a tightly cowled engine for that vintage, however, there is insufficient outlet area with the cowl flaps closed, so mine are almost always 1/2 open in cruise unless it is winter or I am up high. It's a known issue with Aztecs, and amplified for the turbocharged versions.

As for oil temps and differences between left and tight, the usual culprit is poor baffles that aren't sealing properly.

Back