What are some Common Problems of older Planes

Which war? :D
I or II. Both have the same problems. After awhile you don't need ailerons, just warp the wings. :yes:
I'm trying to think of a post Korea aircraft that used glue to hold it together. (other than home built)
Bellanca?

Missing log books. Some say they are worth up 25% of aircraft value
Antiquated Panel
Depending on make and model AD's

If your airplane is older than you are, you better be a good wrench. If your airplane is older than your A&P, you really better be a good wrench.

After reading all the posts, the best advice is a thorough pre-purchase inspection by an A&P familiar with the type. Even after taking every precaution, you will still have issues along the way. It's just part of aircraft ownership.

I or II. Both have the same problems. After awhile you don't need ailerons, just warp the wings. :yes:
I'm trying to think of a post Korea aircraft that used glue to hold it together. (other than home built)
Bellanca?
Older Mooneys had wooden wings.

The Beech Duchess had its wing skins glued on. Glue was also used in some tail surfaces. Grumman glued much of its aluminum airplane skins onto the structure. I believe there were others.

The Bell 47 helicopter started out with laminated wooden rotor blades that had no fatigue life limits. IIRC.

If you're looking at an older plane, a wealth of info can often be had at the type clubs.

The Bell 47 helicopter started out with laminated wooden rotor blades that had no fatigue life limits. IIRC.
I flew an Army OH-13 at Ft. Eustis VA in 1968. It was a 1949 model with wood blades. Nice and smooth, no vibrations to speak of.

Assuming well maintained and in non-corrosive environment:
Metal fatigue causes cracks.
Life limited parts, some parts are illegal to operate after a certain number of hours, cycles etc..
Old plastics become fragile and brittle after plasticizer evaporates.
Plexiglass crazes.
Wiring chafes, and insulation crackes.
Seat cushion foam and upholstery gets flat.
Old records get lost.
Parts obsolescence.
Heat and age cause electrical values on electronic components to drift.
Part 91 operational requirements change driving upgrades.
O-rings take a set or harden and crack.
Parts wear, inside the engine, in flight control linkages, in retractable landing gear parts.
Control cables stretch.
Rubber tires, and engine mounts dry out and start to crack.

If I had a time machine I'd like to go back to the Piper factory at Lockhaven Pennsylvania in 1946 and tell the guys building the J3 Cub that it'll still be flying in 2020 and somebody would pay fifty thousand dollars for it. I bet they'd get a kick out of that.

Back