Which Cessna to buy

Rick The Magic Guy

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Rick The Magic Guy
Good Afternoon,

My name is Rick and I am searching for the best plane to purchase for flight training up to IFR.

I will keep it after training to use for my entertainment business. I need something that can carry 200 pounds of cargo plus 800 pounds for four passengers total.

I also want the plane to be worth upgrading to a glass cockpit.

Respectfully,
Rick The Magic Guy

You are in 206 territory but that isn’t really a good plane for training. A 182 MIGHT suit your mission if your leg lengths aren’t too long.

If your doing your training the 182 would make a good choice.

the requirement for 200 pounds of luggage ??
I will be flying with me and my girlfriend. We both weigh 200 each. Between luggage and my show props another 200lbs.

We will have people occasionally fly with us so add another 400lbs.

Depends on the range you need. Perhaps a Cherokee 6. You could train in a Cherokee 160 or something and then go for the six once you're past solo

Four people about half the time. 200 lbs of cargo most of the time.

Range 5 hours one way Max 50% of the time.

Not sure how much overlap there is there, but if you're looking to carry 4 people and 200 lbs of cargo AND fly for 5 hours much of the time, that's eliminating a whole lot from consideration.

5 hours even at a Cessna 182-ish 12 gallons per hour means you are looking for a useful load of around 1400 pounds with all those people and cargo. That's a lot!

Also, why did you specify the range in hours? 5 hours in a 172 is a lot different distance than 5 hours in a Bonanza. Miles is what's important to get somewhere, not duration.

Honestly, for your needs you may consider training at the local flight school in whatever they have, then go out and buy the more advanced airplane that it seems you may need. A 206 (mentioned above) is a good hauler, but would not be a great trainer. Same for a PA-32. And depending on how much overlap there is in your requirements, you're getting into twin engine territory there.

206. Plus what Russ said.

But again, not something you want to do primary training in. Get a 182 to do primary in and trade up later. That would also give you a good idea if you really need something bigger.

Not sure how much overlap there is there, but if you're looking to carry 4 people and 200 lbs of cargo AND fly for 5 hours much of the time, that's eliminating a whole lot from consideration.

5 hours even at a Cessna 182-ish 12 gallons per hour means you are looking for a useful load of around 1400 pounds with all those people and cargo. That's a lot!

Also, why did you specify the range in hours? 5 hours in a 172 is a lot different distance than 5 hours in a Bonanza. Miles is what's important to get somewhere, not duration.

Honestly, for your needs you may consider training at the local flight school in whatever they have, then go out and buy the more advanced airplane that it seems you may need. A 206 (mentioned above) is a good hauler, but would not be a great trainer. Same for a PA-32. And depending on how much overlap there is in your requirements, you're getting into twin engine territory there.
I am use to giving a range by hours not miles. Sorry for the confusion.

I sincerely appreciate the help.

182 (fixed gear) usually have between 1150..1275 useful load.

1000lbs (people + baggaged) only leaves about 150lbs...275lbs for fuel or about 25gal...45gal. That translates to 2hrs ... 3hr:45min until tanks dry.

You need to have reserves to land VFR, night and IFR that will eat into that.

If you plan any high density altitude flights its recommended to fly no more than 90% of max weight which requires ditching another 120lbs or so.

Baggage area 'A' = 120lbs and Baggage area 'B' = 80lbs so you are right at the limit there.

These would need to be very short trips and nothing departing from higher elevations (like about DA 4000 or more).

Seems to be 206/210 for high wings or the piper low wing 6 seaters or haulers mentioned above.

One more thing for the OP. Training in your own plane can be cheaper but as the plane gets bigger the extra fuel burn and mx reserves will eventually cost you more than a rental. So if you wanted to buy a 206 and learn from scratch in it I believe it would cost more than learning in a 172 rental. You can skimp on engine reserves but that will bite you later on down the line.

Last edited:
Citation M2.

Well, it is a Cessna. No problems with 4 people and baggage. Very comfy.

What??? 20 posts in...and still no Bo recommendation! o_O
This place is going to the virus, or something. You can't depend on anything these days. :rolleyes:

Citation M2.

Well, it is a Cessna. No problems with 4 people and baggage. Very comfy.

Problem is 200 at 200 in the forward seats, 400 pounds in the front seats

not many Cessnas have the ability

172 to get your training out of the way. 206 or 210 after you train and sell the 172.

Good Afternoon,

My name is Rick and I am searching for the best plane to purchase for flight training up to IFR.

Respectfully,
Rick The Magic Guy
First things first: Have you qualified for a 3rd class medical yet? You could start training, but I definitely would not buy a plane unless I had a medical in hand.

Also, I don't believe you mentioned financial considerations. We all love to spend other people's money, but money has to be a known part of the equation.

And just out of curiosity, why are you limiting yourself to Cessnas?

Finally, some here are quite rightly offering suggestions you didn't ask for (train first, then buy). I think their advice is solid, but is that something you would even consider? My first plane was a Cessna 172 because that was what my wife and I trained in. But after a couple of years, we realized that we had other preferences, and that included planes that had wings obstructing downward views and let more heat in the cockpit and trickier fuel management.

Like what John said, get your medical before you spend $1 on training or buying an airplane. Also, not sure where you are in your aviation journey, but take a few lessons to make sure you have the aptitude for flying, and that you enjoy it. Then, start looking for an airplane to buy.

Back