Eating an information elephant, one bite at a time....

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
3ryw2q.jpg

I'm slowly working through them through sheer drill and kill flash cards....

But ugggh.... all this effort for less than a 2 hour conversation about the details.

Zero argument about why I need to know this... I just hope on examination day, I can access the correct hard drive sector and articulate the answer correctly.

/end_session(moan-and-groan)

LOL! I can relate. I started using the Sheppard Air App and feel the same way.

Hoping I can get this done and out of the way soon.

Check out Wikipedia and non aviation sources, there are much better explanations

There is something about the way that subject is structured that really annoys me. I think it is because the handbook presents a bunch of fairly high level abstractions without the underlying subject matter in a meaningful way.

It’s like here just memorize these laws of learning, without really taking the time to explain how they work.

Had a similar course in medical school on principles of development. I think this is a sign the subject matter is much larger than they are taking the time/effort for.

It's just a poorly written book. The information is actually good, but you wouldn't know that by reading the FOI.

It's just a poorly written book. The information is actually good, but you wouldn't know that by reading the FOI.
I quickly saw the irony of the FAA Handbook violating some of the FOI principles contained within.

I am curious how the ACS for CFI-A will change how the FOI examination is conducted.

Right now, I feel like I'm just rote memorizing to be ready to answer the questions. Not sure how that is supposed to related to the PTS standard of "instructional knowledge"

I'd rather the exam be some discussions of practical application scenarios.

That is one book that is a lot more useful if you read it after instructing a couple years. It makes a lot more sense then.
It could have been written better.

The FOI is one of the biggest pieces of FAA bogosity out there. I'm convinced that the reason they exempt teachers from having to take it is because they don't want all the puking from the teachers reacting to what the FAA thinks educational theory is. It even surpasses the FAA's bogus understanding of physics.

3s3gut.jpg

And it still needs processing/organizing into long term memory. Plus application of the law of exercise.

One thing about this section that royally sucks is the sheer repetition and restating of the same concept. That just adds to my "jumbled kitchen junk drawer" analogy of my memory. I know the item I want is in there....somewhere. But dealing with the unorganization increases difficulty of recall.

I think I'm up to that elephant's right knee. Someone pass the ketchup.

I haven't started studying for CFI yet, but it would seem the purpose of the FOI is to provide instructors with the knowledge they need to be effective teachers of the material needed to become an airman and earn additional certificates/rating. The FAA guide and exam bank may be very ineffective, but the objective is clear and, in my opinion, reasonable. Teaching is not easy, and does require a lot of understanding about how people learn. I have a teaching certificate and two degrees in education, but I haven't used the certificate to teach in a number of years so I'm not sure if I will need to take the FOI exam or not. Either way I plan to read through the FAA document and compare their guidance to my current knowledge and expectations for teaching flying.

@RingLaserGyroSandwich ... once you do read the Aviation Instructor Handbook, I’d be interested in hearing the comparison to your teaching and education background

I thought the FOI was the easiest written ever. It was a very thin Gleim book.
That said, perhaps it has changed since..
1988 ??

I thought the FOI was the easiest written ever. It was a very thin Gleim book.
That said, perhaps it has changed since..
1988 ??
What I’m grousing over isn’t the written, it’s the study for the CFI-A oral exam.

Yeah, I've started and stopped studying the FOIs more than I care to admit. Stuff does NOT stick....

When you draw a blank, the answer is usually Primacy. :D

(and because of how Primacy works, when you draw the blank, you'll think only of this post and curse me while under the DPE's hot stare. Sorry. :D )

Back