John C. Tune - Tornado

WBI Flyer

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Groundhog
I hope this finds everyone ok. JWN reportedly got hit by a tornado. I do not know the extent of the damage, but I do know that this is as quiet an airspace as we've had since I lived here.

We are on approach/departure from the south.

Everyone ok?

From a news article:

John C. Tune Airport, Nashville International's sister airport in West Nashville, “sustained significant damage due to severe weather," spokeswoman Kim Gerlock said in a statement early Tuesday morning. Several hangars have been destroyed and power lines are down, she said, adding that there are no reported injuries.​

My guy on the ground at Tune says there is a lot of damage, and the airport is closed and people are being told to stay away.
Multiple hangers collapsed.

From NOTAMs

!BNA 03/056 JWN AD AP CLSD 2003030838-2003102359​

From a poster on BeechTalk

I was just there yesterday but I’ve heard Tune is destroyed. FBO GONE, fuel trucks on fire, most hangars gone, jimmy buffetts Falcon thrown into a hangar, my buddy cannot find his Citation Mustang that was in hangar 4.​

I was just there yesterday but I’ve heard Tune is destroyed. FBO GONE, fuel trucks on fire, most hangars gone, jimmy buffetts Falcon thrown into a hangar, my buddy cannot find his Citation Mustang that was in hangar 4.
Wow!

Lots of mess to sort through. All the best to those affected.

This can be a real pain when the airport administration blocks owners from getting to their aircraft in order to improve their firing position in the inevitable sue-o-rama.

From the photo/video I have seen looks like the big community/Corporate hangars are gone but most of the T-hangars survived. Lots of bent sheet metal for sure.

This can be a real pain when the airport administration blocks owners from getting to their aircraft in order to improve their firing position in the inevitable sue-o-rama.

You are suggesting the airport will be sued for allowing a tornado?

That’s sad. I was there over the summer for the Queen concert and it was such a nice airport.

I could care less that airplanes were damaged and whiny owners can't get to them. That's what insurance is for. The airport/city should be worried about being sued if they let people go wandering through a disaster area.

At least 19 people died in tornadoes yesterday and over 150 are in hospitals. Losing your airplane doesn't quite seem as important.

That's what insurance is for.
For sure, but insurance is going to have a hay day with all of the damage after that. Agree that the airplane is the last thing to worry about when lives are lost. Nonetheless, I hate to see that the airport is nearly gone. :(

Sad to see. Usually go to Tune for fuel with a Vandy drop off. Looks like it’ll be BNA in the near future.

Sad to see. Usually go to Tune for fuel with a Vandy drop off. Looks like it’ll be BNA in the near future.

Yep. :(

We're heading there in a couple of weeks. I was planning on flying to JWN. Looks like I'll be flying to BNA.

Sad to see all the damage and loss of life.

As if insurance rates were not already going up.

What a mess. Sad for the families involved in all the loss.

Sad day nature’s fury out of control. Condolences to the families who suffered a loss.

What are you going to sue about???

What are you going to sue about???

The aircraft insurer vs. the airport.
The airport vs. the engineer who signed off the hangar design.
The airport against the jet owner whose plane was blown into the FBO building.
The EPA against the airport for the spilled fuel.
The airport against the Shell for the spilled fuel.

These 'acts of god' like floods and weather events often have a legal rat-tail that involves arbitration between the different insurers until everyones share is sorted out. This is not the owner suing the airport for bad weather, this is insurance companies moving around chess pieces.

Last edited:
These 'acts of god' like floods and weather events often have a legal rat-tail that involves arbitration between the different insurers until everyones share is sorted out. This is not the owner suing the airport for bad weather, this is insurance companies moving around chess pieces.
Go ahead and litigate but I’ll guarantee they won’t get far. ‘Act of god’ events are extremely difficult to prove fault of any kind. In some cases fault is easy; in others not so much. If you think about fault as a sliding scale, the less it looks like fault, the more difficult it is to prove fault. In something like this, it’s going to be very difficult. Of course you could argue the municipality failed to have proper preventative measures in place for occurrences like this, but that’s a pretty low weight argument.

Last edited:
Go ahead and litigate but I’ll guarantee they won’t get far. ‘Act of god’ events are extremely difficult to prove fault of any kind. In some cases fault is easy; in others not so much. If you think about fault as a sliding scale, the less it looks like fault, the more difficult it is to prove fault. In something like this, it’s going to be very difficult. Of course you could argue the municipality failed to have proper preventative measures in place for occurrences like this, but that’s a pretty low weight argument.

What Ryan said.

How did the jet (N519JD) escape the carnage, even it’s pitot covers are still in place?
The same way our house in Panama City received almost no damage while every single house around us took major damage during hurricane Michael. It's just... luck. All it takes is for something to affect the wind just a little. A building, vehicle or tree in the right place can be the difference between no damage and total destruction.

goodness, this looks awful. I've always wanted to fly into tune. hope everyone is ok.

Apparently $90m damage, before they even get to the airplanes.

You're taking exception to the expert opinion?

I too will fly into Tune in the future as one of my daughters lives in Nashville. The tornado came close to her house but no damage. Prayers for those affected/effected....never could figure that one out.

im in nashville right now at bakers. everything the next exit west is gone. there is a massive warehouse right on i-40 destroyed. metal power poles that look like pretzels. the loss of life and property is just devastating. ive seen a lot of tornado's and hurricanes, this is one of the worst ive ever seen. im so glad i decided not to fly the RV up here. it probably would be destroyed. for or five airplanes flipped over at lebanon airport.

Back