Famous (and infamous) people.. who are pilots

I know you're joking, but it was decidedly weird that the Las Vegas shooter and Cirrus owner seems to give absolutely no indications something like that was brewing.

I understand that he snapped when he saw the bill for his annual....

Howard Hughes, the business magnate. Shown here with his Hughes H-1 Racer

iu

As for the R being rand and listing price as 34 million rand being eq to 2.38 U S dollars, I don't think the math is accurate. I assume Pitt would buy a first class Spitfire if he bought one, and $2.3 U S is low, the market price of a good flying one is going to be a $million more , around 3 at least more likely 3.4 $millon in U S dollars. That is my opinion for what it is worth. You do have somewhat limited market from a project or a build up which is not really a factory Spitfire, at the bottom end, but I doubt if less than $2 million U S, to a rare model like a Mk V with some actual combat history and in first class show and flying condition of which the price is really up there perhaps $4 million. Santa does bring surprises, but I don't think anyone on this forum has been a good enough boy.

Prices of the rare and wonderful do get up there to the stratosphere. I am told by a source I believe that the Canadians turned down a legimate and right now offer of $6 million cash for their Lancaster at Oshkosh a few years back.
It not in the class of the Ferrari 250 GTO that sold for $44 million.

Bill Shatner also learned to fly during while The Original Series was in production, but I'm not sure he ever got his private license. One of the very early issues of Private Pilot magazine in 1969 had an article entitled "Captain Kirk and The Cardinal," a pilot report on the new C-177A Cardinal through the eyes of newbie pilot Shatner.

Just found a 2012 interview of Shatner in Business Jet Online. Excerpt:

When did you start flying privately?

I was playing at the Poinciana Playhouse in Florida and I had always been fascinated by flying. I had my days empty and the airport was very close to my hotel and that is where I soloed. When I did my [instructional] cross-country flight, I flew from Santa Monica to Miami and back in a [two-seat] Cessna 140. I took aerobatics for a while and then did gliders.

I’ve also done paramotoring [powered parachutes]: run like hell with 75 pounds on my back, threw myself into the air and at times crashed to the ground. And there was the image again of that little furry guy on the wing [laughs]. But then I would gain speed and fly. On many occasions, I would fly privately for one reason or another. I’ve been flown around the country for years in quite a few different things. I’m taking helicopter lessons. I’m fascinated by helicopters.

As for the R being rand and listing price as 34 million rand being eq to 2.38 U S dollars, I don't think the math is accurate...

Right now one South African Rand = 0.070 US Dollar. So the math is not terribly difficult if you want to bother to check it. ;)

Along with the other Star Trek actors, Susan Oliver, one of the leads in "The Cage".

In case anyone wasn't aware, quite a few of today's celebrity pilots are regulars on PoA. They post under pseudonyms, though, like @Everskyward , @James311 , @FastEddieB , @SixPapaCharlie , and @Ryan F. among others. It's not too hard to figure out their real identities, but please respect their privacy and don't use their real names.

As for the R being rand and listing price as 34 million rand being eq to 2.38 U S dollars, I don't think the math is accurate. I assume Pitt would buy a first class Spitfire if he bought one, and $2.3 U S is low, the market price of a good flying one is going to be a $million more , around 3 at least more likely 3.4 $millon in U S dollars. That is my opinion for what it is worth. You do have somewhat limited market from a project or a build up which is not really a factory Spitfire, at the bottom end, but I doubt if less than $2 million U S, to a rare model like a Mk V with some actual combat history and in first class show and flying condition of which the price is really up there perhaps $4 million. Santa does bring surprises, but I don't think anyone on this forum has been a good enough boy.

Prices of the rare and wonderful do get up there to the stratosphere. I am told by a source I believe that the Canadians turned down a legimate and right now offer of $6 million cash for their Lancaster at Oshkosh a few years back.
It not in the class of the Ferrari 250 GTO that sold for $44 million.

You have to remember exchange rates change all the time. So when he bought it the Rand and the US dollar conversion probably would have come out to 3.3 mil US. I believe I also read it wasn't pristine, and he actually had to have some restoration done too.

I guess Bill Barton isn't too famous, but his invention sure is.......the Barbie Doll!

DHB66_01-1

Bill also invented the "Monarch" fuel tanks and caps.

Steve Morse (Dixie Dregs, Deep Purple, etc.) flew professionally for a while, but I guess rock & roll groupies won out over airline stewardesses.

Famous people often have sufficient capital to partake of aviation, and enjoy the added benefit of anonymity.

Can you imagine that today. They'd probably have a clause in his contract prohibiting him from participating in such "dangerous" pastimes, LOL
Dorn did have that clause in his contract during Star Trek.

Clint Eastwood (rotor)
Brad Pitt (I believe he owns or is checked out in a Spitfire)
Morgan Freeman

I'm amazed at how many of these people are accomplished pilots, but it makes sense since they have the money.
When I got to work with director Doug Liman, he was flying a Mooney and now he has a TBM850.

Someone mentioned Rod Taylor. I believe a guy on our field own's his old Chief. He's pretty proud of it and has some cool stories. And he owns a movie theater so kinda fitting.

Back