Getting my CFI, Where to Start?

Bonchie

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Bonchie
Talked to my instructor yesterday. He's great and got me through my commercial at minimal cost with no issues. Older guy who just loves to instruct, not many of those left. I asked him about getting the CFI and he's encouraging me to do so.

First thing he wants me to do is knock the written tests out. What resources are you guys using for the CFI? I know I could just go to Sheppard Air, but I also know that with the CFI, this is the one rating where you actually need to learn and retain a ton of knowledge, not just memorize answers.

So should I just focus on passing the test, or is there some resource that'd I'd be better off putting the time in to study now that will help me in the oral, etc. later?

I used Shep but also read their explanations carefully on questions that didn't make sense to me. FOI, IGI, FII, FIA. I also plan to take the AGI next week while this stuff is fresh on my noodle. I’ve been told the FOI stuff comes from the Aviation Instructors Handbook, and to know it front and back. The rest comes from the PHAK and the Airplane Flying Handbook. I’m hoping to get CFII and then CFI by end of February.

Sheppard air for all the writtens, get them done and decide now if you want to do the IGI or AGI (eventually you could get a gold star on your CFI)...

Then you can start learning with your CFI.

Find an experienced CFI to mentor you through the process. Ride backseat during actual training flights and observe how it's done. Do this with multiple instructors so that you don't just clone yourself from one.

Start by compiling your instructional library. This includes, but not limited to, FAA-H-8083-25A Pilots Handbook Aeronautical Knowledge, FAA-H-8083-3B Airplane Flying Handbook, FAA-H-8083-15B Instrument Flying Handbook, ACS for Commercial and Private, FAA-H-8083-9A Aviation Instructors Handbook , AC 00-6B Aviation Weather, AC 00-45J Aviation Weather Services + about another 50 Advisory Circulars, then head over to AOPA Safety Foundation and gather publications.

Then read and study your library. Being an instructor is about knowledge.

Last edited:
Start by compiling your instructional library. This includes, but not limited to, FAA-H-8083-25A Pilots Handbook Aeronautical Knowledge, FAA-H-8083-3B Airplane Flying Handbook, FAA-H-8083-15B Instrument Flying Handbook, ACS for Commercial and Private, FAA-H-8083-9A Aviation Instructors Handbook , AC 00-6B Aviation Weather, AC 00-45J Aviation Weather Services + about another 50 Advisory Circulars, then head over to AOPA Safety Foundation and gather publications.

Then read and study you library. Being an instructor is about knowledge.

Solid advice right here. I ended up going to American Flyers to get the sign-offs, but I took with me a box of books that included all of these plus some others.

Teach a lesson on a non aviation person. I taught my ground lessons to my mom who had no prior aviation knowledge. If you can get them to understand, you’re on the right track.

Sheppard Air for the written(s). Just get it done and behind you with a good score. You'll need to at least read the Aviation Instructor's Handbook first.

Get the Backseat Pilot lesson plans to use as a study guide. Look up every-single-thing from FAA resources. That gets you pointed in the right direction and then you'll have a better sense of what you need to do. Not necessary for the writtens but is a great place to organize your efforts for studying the material for the practical and beyond.

https://thebackseatpilot.com/products/cfi-lesson-plans

Use FAA resources; PHAK, Airplane Flying Handbook, FAR/AIM, ACS, ACs, Aviation Instructor Handbook,

100% agree with the above advice

Back