Can student pilot get tailwheel rating

"(i) Additional training required for operating tailwheel airplanes. (1) Except as provided in paragraph (i)(2) of this section, no person may act as pilot in command of a tailwheel airplane unless that person has received and logged flight training from an authorized instructor in a tailwheel airplane and received an endorsement in the person's logbook from an authorized instructor who found the person proficient in the operation of a tailwheel airplane."

Did you get the training? And, did you get an endorsement in your logbook?

Are you asking if a student pilot can train in a tailwheel plane and nothing else throughout the entire process?

I bet you could if you could find an instructor to do it.

I did my first solo and got my PPL in a tailwheel.

Tailwheel and glider is the proper way to learn to fly.

Tailwheel and glider is the proper way to learn to fly.

Yep. Got my primary training in a Champ at Airhaven, south of Portland, OR. I could also have chosen to drive across the river to Vancouver, WA and do it in Cubs at the time. Both were charging $35/hr wet, and another $35/hr for the CFI, back in 2002. Ah, the good old days...

Come to think of it, I had engine failures in two different Champs during training, so I guess I also trained in gliders! ;)

When we had a lot of students we did a few PPLs in the Citabrias. After they got their tickets we checked them out in the 172s, which they found completely boring. Took them an hour or two max. The 172 PPLs we checked out in the Citabrias once they were ticketed, and they took seven hours or more to get to solo. They had to learn to use their feet and keep coordinated. A 172 nearly flies itself and spoils its trainees.

It was "Conventional Gear" when Nose Wheels came out. And for a long time after. Plenty of folks learned this way and this way only. No problemo-

When we had a lot of students we did a few PPLs in the Citabrias. After they got their tickets we checked them out in the 172s, which they found completely boring. Took them an hour or two max. The 172 PPLs we checked out in the Citabrias once they were ticketed, and they took seven hours or more to get to solo. They had to learn to use their feet and keep coordinated. A 172 nearly flies itself and spoils its trainees.

Absolutely! First 10 years of my ticket I flew a nice club C172 w 180hp, nice plane, but the club was far away and I flew less and less, I bought a Cessna 140 to put at my local airport... I have learned more and become a better pilot in the last year than I did in the 172, and frankly that would still be true no matter how long I had been in it.

Low powered and no training wheel to save your arse will teach you a lot that you never even realized you missed... if I had it to do over again, I would have learned in her... and yes when I get in the club plane now I find it boring...

The c140 isn’t ready to bite you for the slightest oops, but there’s no doubt when ya botched one!

We went out west in the mountains this year, the rest of the gang I flew with all had more plane, next least capable were 172s w 180hps... me and my old gal did just fine, the high DAs didn’t screw w my head as much as some of the other guys but I was used to doing what ya do in High DAs as second nature... sure my performance was diminished but I knew how to fly without relying on extra hp...

Get your training in an underpowered taildragger!

It's the same as if the student was learning in a complex airplane (which I have had), or a high-performance airplane. You just need the endorsement before solo, and then yes, it's still good after you pass your checkride. Not really that big of a deal. In my case the insurance company wanted him to have more time before solo that would normally be required, so we just worked on other stuff until he had the time.

Not that there are many, but an over powered one can teach a lot, too.

True!

I guess I’d say low powered to start with to learn that pegging climb put speeds and such have a real effect. Of course they do regardless of power but it’s more noticeable when ya gotta hit em close... How to use ground effect when needed, and in mine I use it every time... that 180hp 172 always lightly loaded taught me little about judicious use of ground effect...

But yea no nosewheel would be the best regardless of HP

They do Private Pilot training in J3 Cubs at Great Barrington.
In the past, there was a problem because the DPE got too umm, large to fit in the plane.
They had to ship in a DPE to do check rides.

They do Private Pilot training in J3 Cubs at Great Barrington.
In the past, there was a problem because the DPE got too umm, large to fit in the plane.
They had to ship in a DPE to do check rides.
We had a DPE lose his designation for giving a checkride that way.

Are you asking if a student pilot can train in a tailwheel plane and nothing else throughout the entire process?

I bet you could if you could find an instructor to do it.
I just got checked out in another variety of tailwheel aircraft at my flying club, and the instructor I worked with prefers to use them for training of new students.

Not as much, though power can get you in trouble, it also can bail you out of much more.

I’m a big fan of initial in a sub 100hp tailwheel

There is much to be said for that.
Gliders and under powered planes can teach you a lot of very important energy management lessons.

Back