What do you do for living (or used to)?

Wish we had more AT's serving that long and getting that smart. I know a number of ATC, ATCS and AVCM who have, but after PTS/ERB initiatives, so many great ones called it quits. Don't blame them.....they saw their mentors getting walked out the door, for no good reason other than another BUPERS good idea fairy.

WAATA?? (what are all them acronyms)

Navy Technical Ratings noted above (AE included for explanation of AV)
AT - Aviation Electronics Technician
AE - Aviation Electrician
AV - Avionics Technician (at the E-9 level the AT and AE rates merge to AV)

Navy Rank noted above
C - Chief (E-7)
CS - Senior Chief (E-8)
CM - Master Chief (E-9)

So,
ATC - Chief, Avionics Technician
ATCS Senior Chief, Avionics Technician
AVCM - Master Chief, Avionics Technician

PTS - Perform to Serve program
ERB - Enlistment Retention Boards
BUPERS - Bureau of Naval Personnel

had to google, as many of these were after my time.

Greg - AT2 NAC - Avionics Technician (Petty Officer) Second Class, Naval Aircrewman (NAC)

Military Occupational Specialty (I think...) - essentially what's your job?

Yeah - but the Navy uses Navy Enlistment Classification Code (NEC) for your Rate (job description) - Equivalent to Military Occupational Specialty (MOS), but probably way more specific and complex

When I finished my schools for the E-2B avionics suite I got an NEC of 66-something
Then I earned my Naval Aircrew wings and got a new NEC for that specific airplane
Then we transitioned to the E-2C and I got a new NEC for that airplane's avionics, but Naval Aircrew overrides the Avionics Tech NEC, and yet is (was - that NEC was eliminated) specific for the E-2C so I got an 8267 NEC (the only one I think remember).

Wish we had more AT's serving that long and getting that smart. I know a number of ATC, ATCS and AVCM who have, but after PTS/ERB initiatives, so many great ones called it quits. Don't blame them.....they saw their mentors getting walked out the door, for no good reason other than another BUPERS good idea fairy.

I got Zone A and Zone B SRB, made first class in 8 years. Then, it took me another 11 years to make Chief. Clinton era Navy was pretty dismal for me. I was happy to go Fleet Reserve in '99.

ATC- Aviation Electronics Technician (Petty Officer)
ATCS-Aviation Electronics Technician
(Chief Petty Officer)

AVMC- Master Chief Avionics Technician

PTS (Perform to Serve) & ERB (Enlisted Retention Board) are tools the Navy uses to reduce over manned MOSs and either vol separate or transfer to a different MOS.

BUPERS- Bureau of Navy Personnel. Like military HR.

ATC= Chief Avionics Tech (E7)
ATCS= Senior Chief Avionics Tech (E8)
AVCM=Master Chief Avionics Tech (E9)

PTS and ERB must have been after my time.

Last edited:
I thought 'rating' was the Navy term for MOS.

(Edit: Never mind, ^ explained.)

I know Army best because my son was in and I've built trainers for them for 20 years...

Oh that’s right, only the Army & Marines use MOS. Navy has “ratings.”

Just want to start a new post. Sorry if this was asked before. Just like the title says, what do you do for living or used to do if you're retired?

I was an AH-64D Apache helicopter mechanic in the Army (https://www.boeing.com/defense/ah-64-apache/). Did that for 6 years, then I did some DoD contract work in Iraq. Now I'm working as an IT Systems Administrator.

I have my commercial pilot's license, IFR rated, multi-engine. Only about 300 hours. I haven't flown in almost 10 years.

Twenty non-flying years in the USCG...learned to fly in Juneau as a hobby (retired with commercial, instrument, CFII, MEL); twenty years as a working general aviation pilot, doing just about everything except crop dusting. I am now in my reclining years.

Bob

"reclining years". I like that!

PTS and ERB must have been after my time.

Yeah, those all came about a number of years after you went to the fleet reserve. We lost a lot of good sailors due to said force shaping measures. It also came right before sequestration, which was a double whammy. The best Senior Chief I've ever had the pleasure of serving with failed to select for Master Chief in that same timeframe. Too old school, too unpolished. But he got stuff done, and everyone respected him, even if he yelled a lot. I remember being on det one time, and finding myself at a late night BBQ with some of the chiefs mess as a pretty fresh LT/O-3. If you aren't familiar, that is roughly the Naval Aviation equivalent of being an ENS/O-1 anywhere else....we just take so long in the training pipeline that is about when you actually get to the "fleet". Anyway, we threw back a lot of beers, he berated me for a good amount of time for being new and knowing nothing, and then I think he figured out I knew as much, and wasn't going to get upset with his antics. He then gave me one of the best unsolicited advice sessions about how to be a JO and how to lead sailors. I don't know if I ever lived up to his expectations, but he gave a lot of F's, and we got along after that, even when I broke his jets. Would have been a great Maintenance Master Chief that the junior Sailors would have really looked up to.

Currently a filthy Gubmint contractor, stealing your hard earned tax Dollars.

Previously a badass combat hero who quietly did his job, sacrificed plenty and loved it.

That's all I can say publicly.

Currently a filthy Gubmint contractor, stealing your hard earned tax Dollars.

Previously a badass combat hero who quietly did his job, sacrificed plenty and loved it.

That's all I can say publicly.

There are a lot of guys that just showed up for the party and they got medals. Then there are the guys with a body count that fought in secret wars they can't talk about to this day.

There are a lot of guys that just showed up for the party and they got medals. Then there are the guys with a body count that fought in secret wars they can't talk about to this day.

And the vast majority who are/were in between the extremes.

And the vast majority who are/were in between the extremes.

Yes. I have always been in-between the extremes. Lots of hours over Afghanistan and Iraq supporting the guys on the ground, who are the ones doing the important work. When it is quiet for me, that is normally a symptom of it being a good day for them. Everyone has their part. To include the 18 year old kid who works the flight deck and never sees land other than a desert truck stop for the better part of a year.

Back