cogscreen question

N

NMDS18

Is it worth putting yourself in the position to have to do the cogscreen if you don’t have great hand-eye coordination and have never played video games? I flew 2500+ hours before a depression diagnoses, so my hand-eye coordination is arguably decent, but I don’t do well flying simulators and can’t play a video game to save my life (not to stereotype, but I feel like most 48 year old women can’t).

What's your goal? If you want to get new medical or fly under Basic Med then it's worth it, IMHO. If you had an SI in the last 10 years you might not even need it.

I don't know how much the cogscreen results even depend on hand-eye coordination, and personally I don't put much stock in video games.

What's your goal? If you want to get new medical or fly under Basic Med then it's worth it, IMHO. If you had an SI in the last 10 years you might not even need it.

I don't know how much the cogscreen results even depend on hand-eye coordination, and personally I don't put much stock in video games.

I need the one SI before BasicMed. Just not sure I can pass it.

Guy at my gym always says about a lift or movement you doubt u can do “ you can’t gave NO in your heart.”

U will be scored against folks the same age as u.....48.
Not sure if gender based.

go for it!

Is it worth putting yourself in the position to have to do the cogscreen if you don’t have great hand-eye coordination and have never played video games? I flew 2500+ hours before a depression diagnoses, so my hand-eye coordination is arguably decent, but I don’t do well flying simulators and can’t play a video game to save my life (not to stereotype, but I feel like most 48 year old women can’t).
I'd talk to an experienced AME (consultation!) about the need for cogscreen and other reports before worrying about what tests may or may not be needed. As for gender-based, I know a lot of guys who never played video games or flight sims.

I've never played video games, but had no problem with the CogScreen-AE required for my 3rd class SI (HIV infection).

IIRC the norms are based on age but I don’t believe gender enters in.

The “video game” aspects have mostly to do with division of attention between two tasks and not so much very rapid hand movements or targeting.

If looking to do a new SI for a depression diagnosis, the Cogscreen AE will almost certainly be required as part of the psychological evaluation. But you will be well advised to be working with a senior HIMS AME, such as Drs. Chien or Fowler on this board, to submit that in any case.

Hmmm, thanks. I've only done a bit of psychological testing, and I really struggled with it, so the idea makes me very nervous. (I only have an IQ of 92, which is why I'm posting anonymously, but I managed graduate school and commercial pilot training without problems, so I always find myself wishing testing wasn't so relied upon.)

Hmmm, thanks. I've only done a bit of psychological testing, and I really struggled with it, so the idea makes me very nervous. (I only have an IQ of 92, which is why I'm posting anonymously, but I managed graduate school and commercial pilot training without problems, so I always find myself wishing testing wasn't so relied upon.)

You certainly communicate well in writing. Kudos to you for your significant accomplishments.

An IQ test is a point in time. I know there is research to back them but I think there are better measures of ability. Achievement, for example. Good luck.

not knowing the details of you 'depression', the FAA may require just a cog screen AE, or possibly a full HIMS work up.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back