Need a front wheel pant for my C182P

MountainDude

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MountainDude
Just bought a 1976 Cessna 182P and the front wheel pant is missing. Any recommendations as to what I should get? Mostly looking for value (so used is fine) and problem-free operation.

Does anyone know if the front wheel pant actually adds any knots?
Thank you

Mostly looking for value (so used is fine)
Call around to the salvage yards first (Atlanta Air, Dallas Air, Dawson, Dodson, Wentworth, etc.) for availability. Price subject to condition but can get good deals when a little work is needed so keep your mechanic in the loop.

I’d just take them all off, there is a reason most all working planes ditch them.

Take the mains off too, and save yourself 10lbs of useful load ;-)
I think I'm about ready to do the same with my 172. I can't imagine that the fairings save in the air as much time as I spend fussing with them on the ground just putting air in the tires. Not to mention the skinned knuckles.

I don't have any on my 182h I bought in the spring, but the brackets are there and have often thought about buying a used set. However, not sure it is worth the trouble and expense for a few knots and arguable better looks.

On the Vans RV’s the fairings are worth 15 to 17 knots. That is a faster airframe but I bet they are worth 8 to 10 knots.

We see a difference of 5knts in a Q with them removed.

Check and see if a C 172 pant will fit, there are a surprising number of parts that are common to both, ailerons for example.

Pluses
You want a full set of pants on when you sell the plane.
You get about 5 knots of free airspeed with them.

Minuses
You can't readily monitor tire pressure with them. Low tires can cause large costs, especially if the tire goes flat,taking off or landing, and ruins the pant.
They can cause problems operating off snowy runways, freezing in flight, and resulting in an adventure on touchdown.
Grass strips can become serious hazards if the grass is tall enough to get into the pants and interfere with wheel freedom to turn.
If a passenger steps on one, it is expensive.
Your mechanic charges more to service the tires, brakes, and bearings, especially at annual.

Back to the pluses
They do make the plane prettier.

The partnership that I am connected with has had half a dozen planes that had pants, and they were mounted about 10% of the time we owned them. Back in the beginning, one of the partners landed with a strong sideways angle due to crosswind, and one tire badly under inflated, separated from the rim, tube popped, and the bottom ripped off the pant. That is when we analyzed the risks, and removed pants until just before selling.

Other owners on my home field have experienced each of the minuses listed.

On the Vans RV’s the fairings are worth 15 to 17 knots. That is a faster airframe but I bet they are worth 8 to 10 knots.

Do you have some videos on that, 17kts is crazy

Do you have some videos on that, 17kts is crazy

I think that’s accurate on RVs from what I’ve read. That said, I don’t think wheel pants are worth basically anything on your average Cessna (perhaps a knot or two) partly because it’s a slower, draggier airplane, and partly because they weren’t designed very well for speed.

Back