Medical Records

Gerhardt

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Gerhardt
I’m curious how this works. Are there companies that compile medical records like those that compile financial records? I’m curious, because when you’re injured in an accident you typically have to sign a release for the insurance company to look at your medical records history. They obviously can’t go to every hospital and doctor...so where do they get the information?

It’s just a curiosity thing, really. But it was spurred on by the fact that Thursday after work I stopped by Wal-Mart on my way home. On the way out I was walking, about 3/4 of the way through the pedestrian crosswalk in front of the store when *BAM*. A older guy just didn’t see me until my face was planted in his windshield. No broken bones, I’m just really I sore. But it does make me wonder about the medical records thing.

So, uh, what didn't you report on your last medical?

Your medical records have a certain layer of protection by HIPAA, which protects against disclosure of records without permission but it's not without its pitfalls, and when you sign a "release" you need to know to whom you are releasing the information and what they are going to do with it.

Yes, sorta. HIPAA has constrained it somewhat but the MIB (Medical Information Bureau) is a data exchange between insurance companies. I'm sure that buried somewhere in the fine print an insurance company allows itself to submit/retrieve info from the bureau.

The release covers that as well as any records generated for the claim being filed. Hit by a car? Any hospital/doctor records related to that may be released, and you can expect them to ask for the names of the docs/hospitals/other providers involved.

A friend tripped and fell in her backyard & broke an arm, and the medical insurer asked for details stating that the injury is usually caused by some liability situation. Records had to be disclosed.

Thanks. Holy crap, I had no idea. It may as well be published on the internet.

Yeah, the FAA can get its hands on anything they want. That's the reality.

I think we may be confusing Insurance information (visit dates, diagnoses associated w those visits) with real medical/health data (provider notes, lab results, etc) here. My office and the hospitals with which I was associated spend a lot of time and effort responding to requests for such information. It is indeed protected by HIPAA.

Laws for thee, but not for me

Why do you care about random people having access to your medical info, you don’t have something to hide...do you comrade?

I’m curious how this works. Are there companies that compile medical records like those that compile financial records? I’m curious, because when you’re injured in an accident you typically have to sign a release for the insurance company to look at your medical records history. They obviously can’t go to every hospital and doctor...so where do they get the information?

That's exactly what they do. They'll ask you for a statement on where you sought medical care and they use your release to obtain a copy of your records from each of these entitites. If they see another place referenced in the record (e.g. an outside lab), they follow up on that and obtain the records as well. It's tedious work. Electronic medical records have made it slightly easier as now they get the records on CDs rather than piles of photocopies or printouts from a microfiche.

Back