an unusual medical exam?

they went beyond the standard
It's a weird area to go beyond the standard on though.. especially in the example above where someone said their doctor admitted that in all the years they've practiced they've never found anything that way

Benefit of the doubt: Sure, they're going above and beyond, and maybe there is some CYA there as well of not wanting to get sued should the worst happen

But then I ask why myself, why? That's clearly a personal area and most people would find it to be at least moderately uncomfortable.. and with the whole doctor power dynamic most people will just bend over (literally) and take it. Not me.

and to James' point:
upload_2019-9-23_20-39-35.png

It’s about accusing an AME of being a perv just because they went beyond the standard. I don’t think that’s necessarily the case here.

I gave examples where all this is the norm. If it is the norm is some instances, then what’s the big deal if a doc does it if it’s not required?

Baaaaaaaaaaaaa ha ha ha ha!

"Went beyond the standard"

You got to be kidding me right?

I think you and I might have...different standards

Heres to going "beyond the standard"

drum roll please

Lets cheers to this doc
Michael-Tyshkov.jpg

A champion to the kids, he went above the standard with a 16 and 19 year old, it really must make you happy to see a doc like this whos going above that standard for your kids and grand kids
https://nj1015.com/nj-pediatric-doctor-charged-with-molesting-patients-during-exams/

Or this guy
5bef335622d5a.image.jpg

A real night in shining armor for women, as he often went WELL beyond anyones standards for his exams, but just with the ladies for some reason
https://www.theoaklandpress.com/new...cle_4fd83970-dbb7-11e9-aa3e-f7d44008e4c7.html

Im a pretty live and let live libertarian type guy on most things, well most things that DONT involve a victim, and as someone who dated a girl who someone went "beyond the standard" with, and seeing the damage that never really went away, to the point it destroyed our relationship, docs, teachers, coaches and the like who people trust and hold to some standard for god knows why, who take advantage of that and go "beyond the standard" have a very special place in hell, also its gotta tell you something when even the dregs of society in prisons hate them.

Baaaaaaaaaaaaa ha ha ha ha!

"Went beyond the standard"

You got to be kidding me right?

I think you and I might have...different standards

Heres to going "beyond the standard"

drum roll please

Lets cheers to this doc
Michael-Tyshkov.jpg

A champion to the kids, he went above the standard with a 16 and 19 year old, it really must make you happy to see a doc like this whos going above that standard for your kids and grand kids
https://nj1015.com/nj-pediatric-doctor-charged-with-molesting-patients-during-exams/

Or this guy
5bef335622d5a.image.jpg

A real night in shining armor for women, as he often went WELL beyond anyones standards for his exams, but just with the ladies for some reason
https://www.theoaklandpress.com/new...cle_4fd83970-dbb7-11e9-aa3e-f7d44008e4c7.html

Im a pretty live and let live libertarian type guy on most things, well most things that DONT involve a victim, and as someone who dated a girl who someone went "beyond the standard" with, and seeing the damage that never really went away, to the point it destroyed our relationship, docs, teachers, coaches and the like who people trust and hold to some standard for god knows why, who take advantage of that and go "beyond the standard" have a very special place in hell, also its gotta tell you something when even the dregs of society in prisons hate them.

Lol! Overreact much???? You sure have changed since the 6 months you took off. Comparing a simple hemorrhoid and testicular exam to sexual assault...got it.

Kind of hard to look for hemorrhoids or unexplained masses without some hands on examination.

http://flightphysical.com/medical-exam/abdomen

Last edited:
So the AME knows about all your doctor visits, right? And lots of pilots avoid doctors in between medicals (or lie), right? So if the AME skips a test on the only physical exam he knows this airman will get in the next year, who gets sued for malpractice when the airman is incapacitated by a condition that would have been treatable if detected earlier?

"I went to the doctor and he gave me a physical and said I was healthy. Why didn't he tell me I had testicular cancer?"

My doc said digital exams were no longer considered necessary or a good indicator.

Hmmm, my doc said they are optional, but it's once a year and takes about 5 seconds, so NBD. I have a friend who is a prostate cancer survivor, from his late 30s. We used to call him micro bladder because he always had to make pee stops. He told his doc he had to pee all the time, saved his life.

Hmmm, my doc said they are optional, but it's once a year and takes about 5 seconds, so NBD. I have a friend who is a prostate cancer survivor, from his late 30s. We used to call him micro bladder because he always had to make pee stops. He told his doc he had to pee all the time, saved his life.
So do we understand his prostate cancer wasn’t detected by a digital exam, then?

Get checked, guys. But do it at your own doc, he or she is the one working for you. Even if the AME is doing this optional check for your own good, it's still optional and the AME isn't your doctor.

Lol! Overreact much???? You sure have changed since the 6 months you took off. Comparing a simple hemorrhoid and testicular exam to sexual assault...got it.

Kind of hard to look for hemorrhoids or unexplained masses without some hands on examination.

http://flightphysical.com/medical-exam/abdomen

That’s why the dude called up OP? Because he was super comfy with it?

“....He then had me lay on my back and gave a testicle exam, had me stand and touch my toes and looked at my rectum.

I was fairly uncomfortable at this point, but have heard if you don’t comply with Dr’s requests they may fail you, especially since he told me he failed the previous 5 applicants for various deficiencies. I have been told since he only does pilot exams and immigration exams one day per week.
....”

That reads more like a court transcript than a review of a good AME.

Also immigration exams, maybe it’s my spidy sense, but I bet there are more than a few immigrants with a similar story.

Look it’s a AME doing a basic physical, if he wants to play in your neither regions he’s got issues. If you’re asking a AME to do it on your exam, well you don’t know what a AME is for and you’re probably kinda odd.
Now if you and your AME BOTH want to play doctor, guess that’s cool if you’re both into role playing.

But for a normal person going in to get their FAA medical, don’t go asking people to look at their junk or go grabbing parts you shouldn’t grab, might end up best case with a broken arm or worse case in jail like those other guys.

Last edited:
Get checked, guys. But do it at your own doc, he or she is the one working for you. Even if the AME is doing this optional check for your own good, it's still optional and the AME isn't your doctor.

This is the key.

My AME, ALWAYS asks me if I have seen my personal doctor recently. I have had annual physicals by my family doctor, who does a prostate check, so the AME skips that part. Only had one turn the head and cough exam as part of an FAA exam, and that was about 40 years ago.

Definitely looking at this differently than most of the posters here.

The first AME who gave me what I considered a thorough physical, impressed me so much that I made him my personal physician. The most careful, thorough and complete physical that I have ever had, including my Physical going into the Army (which included the dread finger check and turn your head and cough).

His son was an airline pilot, and he considered it a duty to do the best he could to see that all pilots were healthy in every way.

HERE IS THE SHOUTING PART....My brother had a high PSA, and then his doctor did his FIRST finger check. The doctor found multiple hard spots/lumps, and biopsy confirmed active testicular cancer. His doctor told him he should have had the finger test for all his exams, but he did not push patients, as too many reacted in a negative way. He estimated that he could have detected the presence of lumps up to 5 years previously if he had been checking.

My brother died of cancer two years ago.

All of my "good" doctors have suggested the check, and those who don't, I request they do it. The most recent asked why I did not just get a PSA test, I asked how many patients had false positives? About a quarter of them.
How many false positives do you have with the finger test? None.

He has a practice that is primarily older men, his wife does older women. He has never had a patient who had regular finger tests diagnosed with testicular cancer, who had not been first detected by the finger.

My GOOD doctor, who retired, gave me free EKG's starting when I went for my Commercial and Instrument tickets, and had the hospital cardiologist also read then as a courtesy, to make sure that he did not miss anything before he sent them to the FAA. Doctors with that kind of real concern for patients are hard to find.

Definitely looking at this differently than most of the posters here.

The first AME who gave me what I considered a thorough physical, impressed me so much that I made him my personal physician. The most careful, thorough and complete physical that I have ever had, including my Physical going into the Army (which included the dread finger check and turn your head and cough).

His son was an airline pilot, and he considered it a duty to do the best he could to see that all pilots were healthy in every way.

HERE IS THE SHOUTING PART....My brother had a high PSA, and then his doctor did his FIRST finger check. The doctor found multiple hard spots/lumps, and biopsy confirmed active testicular cancer. His doctor told him he should have had the finger test for all his exams, but he did not push patients, as too many reacted in a negative way. He estimated that he could have detected the presence of lumps up to 5 years previously if he had been checking.

My brother died of cancer two years ago.

All of my "good" doctors have suggested the check, and those who don't, I request they do it. The most recent asked why I did not just get a PSA test, I asked how many patients had false positives? About a quarter of them.
How many false positives do you have with the finger test? None.

He has a practice that is primarily older men, his wife does older women. He has never had a patient who had regular finger tests diagnosed with testicular cancer, who had not been first detected by the finger.

My GOOD doctor, who retired, gave me free EKG's starting when I went for my Commercial and Instrument tickets, and had the hospital cardiologist also read then as a courtesy, to make sure that he did not miss anything before he sent them to the FAA. Doctors with that kind of real concern for patients are hard to find.

IF the doc says it’s not called for in the requirement and is 100% optional, I’m cool with that.

Because my father died from prostate cancer I always requested the DRE with my flight physicals. Never found anything that way. I also had my PSA tested each year and it kept slowly rising. Then it jumped 3 points to 10 point something so I had a biopsy and it was positive. So in my case the PSA showed the problem when the DRE did not. Prostate removed. It's been 2 years now and no sign of it showing up elsewhere. So my dad's problem and PSA tests may well have saved my life.

There's no requirement for a physical anus exam. The anus requirement can be satisfied by a discussion of history. It's in the AME Guide.
The poster you replied to was responding to a post about a BasicMed exam. The FAA says that doctors performing those "should" read the AME guide, so I'm assuming that means that they are not required to do so.

Last edited:
The poster you replied to was responding to a post about a BasicMed exam. The FAA says that doctors performing those "should" read the AME guide, so I'm assuming that means that they are not required to do so.
I'm not aware of anything beyond the "you should consider consider consulting..." language in the instructions and a physician wanting to know what the FAA is looking for in terms of being fit to fly.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back