[NA]Pirep: Predator engine, for tiller[NA]

CharlieD3

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
CharlieD3
Chi-com Harbor Freight Predator engine.

212 cc 6.5+- horse power. Horizontal shaft.

Replacing a 5.5hp Briggs & Stratton.

Near Perfect replacement on my Lowe's branded rear tine tiller. Shaft is longer. Shaft end bolt hole is smaller.

Everything else, perfect replacement. Shaft is same size, same height from mount, same keyway. Even the holes for mounting PTO (which I don't have) are the same for mounting belt retainer bracket.

Now to see if it lasts... But I got a whole new motor, self installed for the same price, and less lugging about, than taking it to shop for carb rebuild on the Briggs.

I'm all about made in the USA... but, sometimes it's hard to justify. I wish it weren't so.

Plus, the guy at the register used a better coupon than the one I had, taking $30.00 off the price...

I’ve done the same thing with the same motor. They work ok, not great but what was it $100? Cheaper than fixing a lot of motors.

Advice, put it away with fuel stabilizer and preferably non ethanol fuel. Shut it off by turning the fuel off and letting it run until it runs out. The carbs on these things seem to gum up and rust really easily.

I’ve had the same Predator 6.5HP replacement engine on my power washer for 3 years with no problems, direct swap for the original B&S engine (that was over twice the price and threw a rod through the block). Fires up every time despite only using it a couple of times per year, runs like a champ. No complaints here, especially when it was $100.

I’ve done the same thing with the same motor. They work ok, not great but what was it $100? Cheaper than fixing a lot of motors.

Advice, put it away with fuel stabilizer and preferably non ethanol fuel. Shut it off by turning the fuel off and letting it run until it runs out. The carbs on these things seem to gum up and rust really easily.
I Always use no ethanol gas in small motors. The warranty on the Predator requires stabilizer... So I filled it with stabilized fuel.

Glad to see others with success owning these units.

I can see why the old one wore out.

Tiller Girls of London 1958

I Always use no ethanol gas in small motors. The warranty on the Predator requires stabilizer... So I filled it with stabilized fuel.

Glad to see others with success owning these units.
Whoa, what are the odds....today I just replaced a worn out Tecumseh with a Kohler on the family Troy-Bilt Horse tiller. I can’t believe how easy it was! Almost went with the Harbor Freight engine but it wasn’t a perfect fit like this Kohler or the Honda GX200 was

Whoa, what are the odds....today I just replaced a worn out Tecumseh with a Kohler on the family Troy-Bilt Horse tiller. I can’t believe how easy it was! Almost went with the Harbor Freight engine but it wasn’t a perfect fit like this Kohler or the Honda GX200 was

Tecumseh engines are great cold weather engines, but Kohler engines are smooth, at least in the twin iterations.

I like Kohler... Many of their engines actually have an oil pump instead of splash oiling... I won't buy much with a Briggs engine on it... I had a bad experience with one on a riding mower once.

Fwiw, rebuilding/cleaning the carb on these small engines is a one banana job, even for first timers. Heck, I replaced the crankshaft of the 6.5 hp Honda on my Husqvarna mower after hitting a hidden metal survey stake and severely bending it (the crank, not the stake. The stake was fine.,,,sigh). Shop quoted me $250....took me three hours and $40 in parts, and I'd never opened an engine before.
Cracked block? Sure, grab a cheap replacement engine and power on. Carb issues? If you're thinking of replacing the engine anyway, might as well have a go at rebuilding the carb first; it's easy, cheap, and rewarding. What have you got to lose?

Fwiw, rebuilding/cleaning the carb on these small engines is a one banana job, even for first timers. Heck, I replaced the crankshaft of the 6.5 hp Honda on my Husqvarna mower after hitting a hidden metal survey stake and severely bending it (the crank, not the stake. The stake was fine.,,,sigh). Shop quoted me $250....took me three hours and $40 in parts, and I'd never opened an engine before.
Cracked block? Sure, grab a cheap replacement engine and power on. Carb issues? If you're thinking of replacing the engine anyway, might as well have a go at rebuilding the carb first; it's easy, cheap, and rewarding. What have you got to lose?
I've done carbs before... No biggie, you're right... But, this was cleaner to do.

I'm really thorough when I do a carb, and I didn't wanna buy a bucket of carb cleaner/soaker and keep it around til I needed it again (only to find it evaporated). BTDT.

Total time was a couple of hours, if that. I've got a new motor that starts first pull, if the old one quit again, then diagnose all over again for (a hopefully new) cause.

I'll keep or sell the old Briggs. Either way, I'm happy with my outcome.

YMMV.

Back