Max Conrad, and cross country altitudes

geezer

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Kruse'n
A post here referring to Max’s preference to low altitude for his record setting endurance flights caused me to get his biography from the library, “INTO THE WIND, THE STORY OF MAX CONRAD”. It was written by Sally Buegeleisen, pilot, multi engine, commercial and instrument, who had flown for many years. Her last upgrade to her certificate was in 1965, and her last 2nd class medical expired in 1989, the book published in 1973. It is very clear that the book was written by an experienced pilot, who also had a great deal of understanding of the issues he faced in life as well as a pilot. At least in my state library system, this is the only book she wrote.

Max’s last record attempt failed in spring of 1970, shortly after I received my PPL, and 11 years after my first lesson. I read of his exploits in the newspaper, when they were taking place, and he was one of my hero’s. I have read some of the articles that he wrote for AOPA, way back then. I heartily recommend the book to all here, there is a wealth of flying to learn from him, and it is an extremely readable book, hard to set down after starting.

I am just one generation younger than Max, which explains posting as "Geezer"

Max’s preference for altitude changed from flight to flight, with the recurring theme, “Altitude is money in the bank”, and it often saved his life. By necessity, his climbs were very slow, due to his grossly over gross departures, but his descents were also slow, with power on, to recover as much of the time and energy of altitude as possible. The unique exceptions were when he discovered the value of the low altitude trade winds of the sailing days. These rivers of moving air are regular, predictable, and steady, 15 to 20 knots. His longest nonstop routes were carefully centered in the trade winds, and at 50 to 500 feet above the sea. The slower he went, the larger the proportion of his miles he went were free, from the wind. He considered his own endurance near unlimited, and he was truly amazing in that regard. Cruising along at maximum endurance air speed for 40 or 50 hours gave him nearly a thousand extra, free miles.

Several times in the book, he is described as ignoring radio calls when he was having difficulty with the plane, and focusing on “ANC” Aviate, Navigate, and Communicate. Unfortunately, during his last record attempt, circling the globe over the poles, he failed to do that basic requirement, and lost his plane just a short distance from the South Pole Airport, in a failed departure. After nursing his Aztec into the air, he turned it over to the auto pilot, and went to work getting his special navigation gear properly aligned to give him a reliable signal and guidance departing the pole. Unfortunately, the plane drifted down, and the left propeller struck some icy snow, he recovered some altitude, and successfully returned to the vicinity of the runway before he ran out of altitude with his crippled engine. Other times and places, he invested time and fuel, circling over the field, to gain safe altitude before heading out on course. Fuel supply was not an issue; he had enough to reach Punta Arenas, Chili, without stopping at the 2 intervening possible fuel stops.

The second factor which conspired to fail the last record attempt was simply inadequate funds to properly prepare his now aging Aztec, which showed up in repeated minor problems, each different, but most related to wearing out old parts. Repairs were made with parts that worked, but not necessarily aircraft parts, such as a bendix from a car, and a fuel pump diaphragm from a marina. Years earlier, he would have replaced the diaphragms on both engines if one had failed from old age. That Aztec and its engines were old by any measure, and more so from the multitude of way over gross flights, and some operations from relatively primitive runways. Epic long flights depend on absolutely reliable parts and preparation, and he was no longer achieving that level of preparation. Fortunately for all, he did survive!

15 hours and a fraction of dual training, 1 hour of solo time, he bought a new plane in Wichita Kansas, and flew it back to Minnesota, solo. Not quite legal even in those early days, but no one was checking much then. You could not fly across state lines until you had your license then, and he obviously crossed several. His life was full of stretching the rules, and finding the ultimate capacity of aircraft. He worked hard to avoid mistakes, but learned from a few spectacular ones.

None of my comments are meant to imply that he was not one of the most courageous, and talented pilots of his time. He was from my parents generation, and grew up in ‘interesting times’ as they did.

Wikipedia has a substantial bio for him and his exploits

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Conrad

Back to the original topic, cruise altitude, there is no best one, the terrain and weather tend to dictate part of the choice, and the desire to sight see can also influence a choice. I once flew for about an hour at 500 feet AGL in the Midwest, as there was an adverse wind, and farm fields everywhere to land on, flat and smooth, and a return flight over the same route, at 13,000, 60 knot direct tail wind, ground speed 180 knots, is a Cessna Skyhawk, with a Franklin engine and constant speed prop. I always cross the Appalachian Mountains well above the terrain, and nearly always in full daylight.

Like Conrad, I have had my exciting times, including an ILS approach in clear weather, but the windscreen covered with engine oil. I also had trouble clearing carburetor ice due to not noticing it soon enough. He was over the ocean, I as 5 miles from Maguire Airbase, at 8,500 feet. We both had plenty of altitude to get things going properly again, no bad outcome.

Reading of his exploits influenced my desire to get a license, and also taught me about the need to do meticulous preflights every time. Fortunately, my first instructors had the same standards.

It was written by Sally Buegeleisen, pilot, multi engine, commercial and instrument, who had flown for many years. Her last upgrade to her certificate was in 1965, and her last 2nd class medical expired in 1989, the book published in 1973. It is very clear that the book was written by an experienced pilot, who also had a great deal of understanding of the issues he faced in life as well as a pilot. At least in my state library system, this is the only book she wrote.
Sally Buegeleisen -- that's a name I hadn't heard in a while. In addition to the qualifications you listed, she was a prolific writer for Flying magazine in the 1960s, including a monthly column called "Skirts Flying". She rebuilt a biplane in her garage. She died in 2007 at age 82.

Does your post mean you are from my generation? I rarely had the loose change to buy flying magazines in those days, but "Skirts Flying" does ring a bell. Certainly, she writes an excellent, readable book. 3 days, and done, but going back and re reading key parts of it. I dislike flashbacks, but sometimes, they are appropriate, and she uses them well. There are incidences in life that need to be followed in their specifics, and then return to the original time, and resume the chronology. She did that masterfully, never in an annoying way. Again, a very readable book, and a wealth of good advice.

Thank you for a wonderful post. I remember the build up to his flight from South Africa to New Orleans back when I was only dreaming of a career as a pilot. It was in the aviation press for a long time, IIRC. But I had lost track and gone to visit my grandfather near St. Petersburg, FL. One morning I awoke there to my radio alarm clock just in time to hear on the local news that Max Conrad had overflown St. Petersburg and part way across the Gulf decided to divert back and land because he feared he couldn't make New Orleans on the fuel remaining. I was surprised my path had crossed this famous person's path in this way and was very glad he didn't wind up in the drink. Six thousand plus miles non-stop! I still can't quite comprehend it.

Last edited:
Does your post mean you are from my generation? I rarely had the loose change to buy flying magazines in those days, but "Skirts Flying" does ring a bell.
If you mean having learned to fly in the 1960s, then yes. :) The first issue of Flying I bought from a newsstand (that word alone dates me) was March 1963. (Yes, I still have it.)

I just finished re-reading the Frank Kingston Smith trilogy, Weekend Pilot, Flights of 'Fancy' and I'd Rather Be Flying -- the books that hooked me on flying when I was still in junior high school. Smith wrote of such an innocent, simple time to be flying, even IFR.

New
Geezer
I also had trouble clearing carburetor ice due to not noticing it soon enough
Tantulum
You are lucky.. if you wait too long you're screwed.

At 8,500 over coastal New Jersey, I had plenty of time to clear the ice. I was a new pilot then, but my instructor had sold me on altitude as insurance when things go wrong, plus it was very hot and humid that day. Oddly, the ice formed on a full throttle climb, on a hot summer day, and became apparent as soon as I decreased power and started leaning for cruise. As a result, I had plenty of heat available, but the initial result was pieces broke loose and blocked airflow to a couple of cylinders, producing extreme roughness. I made a call to Maguire tower in case I could not correct the problem, but did not actually go there, as the ice melted, and the engine returned to smooth power.

The old 6 cylinder Continental Skyhawks were particularly bad for producing ice at full throttle, the later Lycomings much less so. The lesson for me was to check for ice with heat, whenever the humidity was high, even when climbing, every 5 minutes or so. That was a cruise climb at about 500 FPM, and took about 15 minutes. On my preflight, I started sweating as soon as I started the walk around, so the high altitude was to find cool, comfortable air. In cruise flight, the RPM would have fallen, and warned me, but full throttle climbing, the power loss was not apparent, as the RPM naturally fell with increasing altitude.

If the flight had been climbing over mountains, and there had not been room to turn, yes, out of luck. That is why I have always done my climbs well in advance when approaching high terrain. I was aware of several crashes in the Rockies with this combination, but did not realize that the ice had formed during the climb.

I always like a mile beneath me, if the plane has the capability, and the head winds are reasonable. Conrad had a number of events where he was saved by altitude.

Oddly, the ice formed on a full throttle climb, on a hot summer day, and became apparent as soon as I decreased power and started leaning for cruise. As a result, I had plenty of heat available, but the initial result was pieces broke loose and blocked airflow to a couple of cylinders, producing extreme roughness.
It wouldn't be odd to foul the plugs if leaning during climb under those conditions didn't take place.Then adding carb heat would make the mixture even richer and could mimic carb ice. Not saying you didn't have ice, though, just something else to consider.

At Oshkosh this year I was parked and camped beside the guy that is out breaking Max Conrad's records. He is doing it in a Lancair IV. I think he has broken all of them except the west bound around the world record. He and his wife are retired United pilots and often take their Lancair IV on vacation to places like South Africa and other far away destinations.

I used to exchange letters with Max when I was a teen-ager and into my 20's. I remember when Sally's book came out I remarked to him that she hadn't caught his spirit at all in the book. I recall I was quite harsh in my criticism . . . a lot harsher than I would be now I suppose. I knew Max as not just a record setter but also as a poet and it was that part of him that was missing in the book. It seemed to me at the time that her bio of Max was too full of nuts and bolts and had missed the most essential part of who he was. "It is only with the heart that one sees rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye." - St. Exupery. It was in that sense that my harsh criticism was based. Max agreed with me, BTW.

Among many valuable common-sense tidbits he passed on to me, along with photocopies of poems he had written, was his philosophy regarding fuel consumption. "The fewer times the intake valves open, the less fuel you'll use." Obviously I'm paraphrasing a bit since many years have passed and I don't have his letters anymore - although I still do have a copy of Sally's book with a personally inscribed note from Max on one of the frontspages.

I recall too, since the topic of Max is at hand, how surprised I was to learn that much of his ocean-crossing flying was done at just above the level of the water, around 100 feet I think he said. Ground effect is only good for half a wing's width above the surface as far as I know, but that's what he said and what he did. When leaving Cape Town on that distance trip mentioned by the person in Florida, I came to eventually know Mike Van Ginkle, the person who saw him off on that flight. Aviation is such a small world.

I originally came into contact with Max regarding some questions I had regarding long-distance flying, something I was very interested in when I first started out, and something I still routinely do. I've been a very lucky flyer in my life, much of my flying beyond the usual margins and in places beyond the well trodden paths, and a lot of that luck was due to remembering things I'd learned from people like Max. I sure wish I'd done a better job of hanging onto the letters and poems he sent me when I was a youngster but all I've got left of our correspondence are the things I remember and the inscribed book written by Sally. Better than nothing, obviously.

I just finished re-reading the Frank Kingston Smith trilogy, Weekend Pilot, Flights of 'Fancy' and I'd Rather Be Flying -- the books that hooked me on flying when I was still in junior high school. Smith wrote of such an innocent, simple time to be flying, even IFR.

I wound up with copies of the first two several years ago, and have read them a couple of times each. I didn't know there was a third, never thought to look it up. Now I'll have to find a copy of that one too; Thanks!

I wound up with copies of the first two several years ago, and have read them a couple of times each. I didn't know there was a third, never thought to look it up. Now I'll have to find a copy of that one too; Thanks!
I'd Rather Be Flying chronicles Smith's training for his instrument and multi-engine tickets. Now it's a fascinating look back at a world before GPS, RNAV, transponders, Simplex com tuning, Class B airspace, the DC SFRA, and even radar in most of the country.

In the multi-engine training chapter there are some photos of Piper Apaches, likely furnished to the author by Piper's publicity department. Among them is N4374P, the Apache in which I got my AMEL-CFI in 1971. It's also on the cover of the 1962 edition I have.

Last edited:
In 1965 or '66 when I was working on Johnston Atoll, Max stopped for fuel and I asked him to sign the back of my paper certificate. He signed it "Let's Fly! Max Conrad." Sadly, that certificate got destroyed when I left my wallet in my jeans and they went through the washing machine. :mad2:

Back