Logging time (apologies in advance)

mryan75

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
mryan75
if I’m rated SEL, can I log any time I’ve spent at the controls of a MEL aircraft? I was not receiving instruction.

And I apologize in advance, I know the peanut gallery hates these questions. I’m just a guy looking for a correct answer.

Thanks.

if I’m rated SEL, can I log any time I’ve spent at the controls of a MEL aircraft? I was not receiving instruction.

And I apologize in advance, I know the peanut gallery hates these questions. I’m just a guy looking for a correct answer.

Thanks.
I don't have the reference, but I believe you have to be rated in the category and class, or have a CFI along.
I'm sure one of the CFI's that frequent here will have a solid answer.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Thanks.
The correct answer is "no, unless you are soloing, there is no 61.51 'box' you fit in."

Of course, there’s also the answer, yes, you can log anything you want. But you can’t legally log PIC for the purposes of experience towards a rating or currency, etc.

So, you can put it in your logbook, you just can’t put numbers in the pic, total hours, etc, columns.

Of course, there’s also the answer, yes, you can log anything you want. But you can’t legally log PIC for the purposes of experience towards a rating or currency, etc.

So, you can put it in your logbook, you just can’t put numbers in the pic, total hours, etc, columns.
Ah, thanks! That I will do then.

Ah, thanks! That I will do then.
Be sure you follow @Salty's advice completely. Remember that while "you can log anything your want" (see my signature block), the FAA is entitled to read entries in 61.51 columns as intended to be counted toward "Training and aeronautical experience used to meet the requirements for a certificate, rating, or flight review... and The aeronautical experience required for meeting the recent flight experience requirements...." If it is just a "scrapbook" log entry, make it clear that is is what it is.

Be sure you follow @Salty's advice completely. Remember that while "you can log anything your want" (see my signature block), the FAA is entitled to read entries in 61.51 columns as intended to be counted toward "Training and aeronautical experience used to meet the requirements for a certificate, rating, or flight review... and The aeronautical experience required for meeting the recent flight experience requirements...." If it is just a "scrapbook" log entry, make it clear that is is what it is.
Will do. Thank you!

Yep, the logging options are pretty much:

1. Log PIC time if you solo the thing (you'll need an instructor sign off).
2. Log instruction received if getting dual from an MEI

You can't log PIC by virtue of being a sole manipulator because it requires a rating you don't have. You can't be SIC or safety pilot because those require the rating as well.

Back