Time required for anti-corrosion treatment

islandboy

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
islandboy
Realistically, how long should be required to perform anticorrosion spraying of a C182?

You mean, like man hours or how long it lasts? I just had mine done at annual and it was $199 flat rate on the invoice....... It is supposed to be good for 2 years unless you are in a coastal environment or a sea plane, then every year.

I was wondering about how long it ought to take to perform the work.

You mean, like man hours or how long it lasts? I just had mine done at annual and it was $199 flat rate on the invoice....... It is supposed to be good for 2 years unless you are in a coastal environment or a sea plane, then every year.

My A&P charges $100 or so when done in conjunction with an annual. I have no idea how long it takes.

with proper power fogging equipment,,, about an hour. Prep and clean up being most of that.

then why post ?

I posted the price. A little intuition will help you figure out how long it probably takes using the average labor rate for an A&P.

Soooooooo..... an hour?

There are levels of preservation you can do yourself, the spraying. There are various methods to apply Corrosion-X, or whatever.

I would not do it within a few months of annual, or major work. I’m also not saying you surpass the quality of a good shop. I have applied depending on what I was doing, say you have a wingtip off for some reason.

There are the U-tube videos floating around.

Last time I did my Cardinal it took half a day. How do you do it in an hour? Is the customer giving you the plane with the wing/fin/rudder tips already removed?

with proper power fogging equipment,,, about an hour. Prep and clean up being most of that.

At my annual in January we fogged everything with corrosion x. It took about an hour to do but we had all of the panels open for the annual already. It still seeps corrosion x out of certain places.

I suggest you have it done by an expert with proper PPE.

Done properly, It increases weight and u should have your weights and balances checked.

The chemical is good for 2 yrs.

Also, wipe your struts periodically with a oily lubricate to prevent corrosion.

It increases weight and u should have your weights and balances checked
FWIW: Not saying checking verifying your weight and balance is bad, but if more than 1lb of Corr X is being applied then that is very excessive. I believe Corr X even states that it does not add any measurable weight to the aircraft. I've used Corr X and Rejex for years and never seen where either product would add additional weight to require a WT&BAL check? But that is only my experience.

When properly fogged, I was told it did chance the balance of the aircraft. The guy may have been referring to larger planes.

I was told it did chance the balance of the aircraft. The guy may have been referring to larger planes.
The old barrier type products like LPS Hardcoat were known to add weight over time. Maybe there's some confusion there??

Even on large aircraft it would take a lot of Corr X to exceed the negligible weight change requirements to correct the empty weight and balance. Did the mechanic actually correct your aircraft weight and balance report after he applied Corr X?

FYI: here's a item straight from Corr X:
CorrosionX Aviation Unique Properties
  • The only foggable corrosion prevention and control product that is both recommended by the Joint Council on Aging Aircraft and meets the current Mil Spec for corrosion prevention and water displacement on airframes (MIL-PRF-81309F)
  • Unique Polar Bonding formula seeks out and passivates any metal surface that can oxidize. Unlike common corrosion inhibitors, CorrosionX will actually “kill” existing corrosion and keep any new corrosion from forming.
  • 39,000+ volt dielectric characteristic, so it’s safe on wiring, contacts, switches and avionics.
  • Will not add measurable weight to the airframe.
  • Nontoxic, nonflammable and non-carcenogenic. Requires no special safety equipment to apply. If applying inside a hanger, would recommend the use of a cotton mask.

My 172 L model has Corrosion X applied every other year to the wing area. My understanding is the round inspection plates located on the underside of the wings are removed and the product is liberally sprayed using a pneumatic spray wand attached to an air compressor. Time to setup the compressor, remove the inspection covers, apply the product, and re-attach the inspection plates is probably about an hour. No other part of the plane is treated, only the inside of the wing area.

I treat mine at annual with ACF50. I fog wings, and fuselage, liberally.

Back