Cirrus driver made CNN

A tree trunk coming through floor is scary. But still beats flying into the tree tops just about stall speed I suppose. Guy kept his cool and used his head. Good job.

Wow... everything worked out in his favor, that’s tree could have easily pierced his body.

Now that’s the difference between landing in a forest and landing over open waters with no one around for 200 miles (for the benefit of the other thread)

A tree trunk coming through floor is scary. But still beats flying into the tree tops just about stall speed I suppose.
I'm thinking instead of spiking straight up through the floor the tree bends gently to ground when you fly into it rather than sit on it.

I'm thinking instead of spiking straight up through the floor the tree bends gently to ground when you fly into it rather than sit on it.
The first tree does that. But the plane is probably no longer flying at that point and instead is now falling in whatever attitude it ends up in. Which means trunks and branches can now come through the windscreen instead of the floor. And also means you could be upside down when everything stops moving. I'd probably rather be upright with the fuel below me and doors that I can still open than end up upside down trying to break my way out while the fuel in the tanks that are now above me follows gravity to the path of least resistance.

I'd probably rather be upright with the fuel below me and doors that I can still open than end up upside down trying to break my way out while the fuel in the tanks that are now above me follows gravity to the path of least resistance.
Me too. Nose high into the branches and below the top of a low tree before a wing snags another would be ideal, I think. I've seen many pictures over the years of planes stuck in trees, saw one in person and know of at least one other. I've known people who died when a wing or a landing gear hit a tree or wires, redirecting them straight to the ground nose first. YMMV.

Back