Mags - rebult vs new - no facts, just your opinions

Sundancer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Sundog
Semi-joking. . .1/2 AMU difference, I'm going with a new one. Rebuilt sound better/as good to you?

Bendix or Slick?

Bendix - overhaul
Slick - buy new

Guy at the overhaul shop said that the parts to overhaul a Slick cost about as much as a new one.

Just got both of my slicks overhauled for $1,200. 150 rpm as side is now 100 rpm a side. Don’t know what new costs today but about 10 years ago new was about $900 per.

My slicks mags are at Montana for IRAN, 1 AMU for both. If it’s gets too expensive they might recommend new.

$1200 new per piece

My slicks mags are at Montana for IRAN, 1 AMU for both. If it’s gets too expensive they might recommend new

Aircraft Magneto Service in Missoula? :thumbsup:

Bendix or Slick?

Bendix - overhaul
Slick - buy new

Guy at the overhaul shop said that the parts to overhaul a Slick cost about as much as a new one.

If they are Slick I'd ship them off and have them opened up to see what is actually needed. If you have to buy all the parts for a complete overhaul, then you are correct, a new Slick mag is the only sensible decision. But if it's just a 500 hour service there can be a big $ difference over new.

Just got both of my slicks overhauled for $1,200. 150 rpm as side is now 100 rpm a side. Don’t know what new costs today but about 10 years ago new was about $900 per.

Nominally $1100 to $1400 per mag for a new Slick depending on the model #, 4300 series.

They did my Bendix. I sent them some beat up looking mags and they sent me back black powder-coated pieces of art. Owner looks like Santa.

They did my Bendix. I sent them some beat up looking mags and they sent me back black powder-coated pieces of art. Owner looks like Santa.

So they were rebuilt by elves at the North Pole? :)

I would never ask for an OH on slicks, just IRAN. If the distributor block is shot or a coil is bad, buy a new mag. I am fortunate enough to have the Slick overhaul tool kit which has doubled in price for new ones since I bought it.

Ironically we only fly Bendix mags now, and I have about 6 used slicks laying around.

We have bought a set of factory rebuild TCM (Bendix) mags 7 years ago or so and I would do it again if needed.

Last edited:
I was seriously considering replacing one Mag with the E-Mag, but didn't find enough people using it yet. may be next time

Just had both Bendix mags rebuilt, new parts as needed and a new harness for both mags for $770..... nothing was wrong but 340 hr in 27 years and it is time to be sure all it good. My A&P wanted to switch to Slick's... but I like Bendix better so stayed the course. Flying is expensive enough that I do not need to spend $2200 for new mags and then more on new harnesses.....

Good info all, thanks. We have a single mag, and an EIS - the mag gave up the ghost, so I went with a new, vice rebuilt, replacement. Appreciate the food for thought from ya'll.

Back