Legit Job offer for a CPL...?

Magnus P.IFR

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Required
Found a short-term flying contract listed today and replied as I am between flying gigs. They want to rent a plane and have someone fly it and then pay them via 1099. As far as I know that would be determined as “holding out” thus not legal for Joe Schmo CPL.

Edit*

Holding out has been clarified. Thanks all.

Last edited:
Even when offered a job, one doesn’t have to take it.

That job sounds interesting, MT in Aug, yes, apply.

Pilot supplies the airplane = holding out.
Employer supplies the airplane (even a rented one) = pilot services. Perfectly legal.

The being paid on a 1099 is what would keep me from taking the gig but that's just me.

I don't know anything about taxes, but this isn't a job, it's a short-term contract. How else is there to get paid other than 1099?

1099 = be sure to write off _all_ your expenses.

I don't know anything about taxes, but this isn't a job, it's a short-term contract. How else is there to get paid other than 1099?
Under the table. Duh.

I thought holding out was when you offer your services. Per my commercial check ride an entity approaching me and asking me to fly a box of rubber dig crap to another city is not holding out - provided one doesn't become known as a pilot offering services.

I thought holding out was when you offer your services. Per my commercial check ride an entity approaching me and asking me to fly a box of rubber dig crap to another city is not holding out - provided one doesn't become known as a pilot offering services.
You can offer your services all you want...you just can’t provide the airplane, too.

On a W2 as an employee. The length of the employment has absolutely nothing to do with whether you're an employee or a contractor. This may well be a legit contractor gig. I don't do contractor gigs. Been there done that, won't do it again. Not worth the headache for me. Hence my comment.

Let me preface with I don’t have a cpl and never heard of holding out in aviation.
What does “holding out” mean.
I plan on starting to study for cpl in the fall though!

Let me preface with I don’t have a cpl and never heard of holding out in aviation.
Holding out is one of the things that defines whether an operation is considered by the FAA to be a charter. It’s basically that you’re offering both pilot and airplane to the general public.

Holding out is one of the things that defines whether an operation is considered by the FAA to be a charter. It’s basically that you’re offering both pilot and airplane to the general public.
Yep and we spent about 30 minutes talking through damn near every nuance the DPE could think of during the 3 hour oral for the CPL checkride back in 2017 when I did mine. Hope I don't have to go through that again for the ME add-on... :rolleyes:

Brian

It took me a few brain cycles to catch on that it is someone holding out to you (aka offer or provide, like I hold out to you a beer if you’re thirsty) and not “keeping it from you”

It’s an older phrasing that isn’t oft used in today’s lexicon.

Advisory Circular 120-12A, Private Carriage versus Common Carriage of Persons or Property will provide additional detail.

They want to rent a plane and have someone fly it and then pay them via 1099.
From their perspective, I think I can see why: No liability. I don't think, though, you'd pass the independent contractor test. Can you, for instance, do the work on your own schedule? Something to investigate, as I may not be up to speed these days.

From their perspective, I think I can see why: No liability. I don't think, though, you'd pass the independent contractor test. Can you, for instance, do the work on your own schedule? Something to investigate, as I may not be up to speed these days.
Agreed. I'm no expert but flying the plane the supply, where they want it go, on the schedule they dictate sure seems like it would have a tough time passing an IRS IC test.

Nothing wrong with a 1099 but you could just invoice him and get paid. I did some A&P work for a guy with a PITA accountant and he asked for my SSN. Nonya, I replied. I give you an invoice and you pay it. End of story. Still doing work for the guy.

Back