Cancer Diagnosis - Medical

usslindstrom

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
usslindstrom
Pilots,

If possible, would somebody be able to shed some light on a nasty subject?

I hold a 2nd class Medical Certificate (issued right before my 40th birthday in January) - Orignally set to expire in one year for Class 2, in 5 for Class 3 (because I renewed it before my birthday).

In March, 2 months after receiving my certificate I was unfortunately diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma, and am already receiving treatment for the disease. Since the diagnosis, I have grounded myself, as everything I've read the FAA does not like Cancer in the slightest until it's deemed regulated and under control.

I've done some lengthy research from the FAA's information directly, including FAR and their specific medical sites (Unfortunately I can't link any of the sites I used, as this is my first post on this forum and the security protocols won't allow any links until I post 5 threads or so).

All of the FAA medical mentioned multiple types of cancer to include Leukemia, Lung, Prostate, etc. But unfortunately for my specific one (multiple myeloma), I have yet to find any information out at all.

Can somebody please let me know if the following plan is sound:
- I continue to ground myself with 0 flights at all until cancer treatment is complete and I'm either in remission or it's at least manageable by oral medication or similar (These are the two outcomes the Dr's are describing).
- Once the above bullet is complete (expected to be October or November time frame if everything goes well), I revisit the FAA Dr. and explain the situation with all paperwork in hand. If everything goes well, I'm hoping the Dr. will allow provisional flying at that point or at least this is what I'm wishing for.

Apologies for the long thread, and if this was the wrong location to post it. I was banking off the idea that this looked like the "general discussion" location.

I suspect the FAA is going to want multiple tests to check kidney involvement and perhaps a brain MRI.

Can't answer the FAA questions, but MM is a tough one, and I wish you all the best for a good treatment and outcome.

Basic Med may be your best/easiest route back after recovery.

You all are likely right. I imagine I may need every test imaginable to appease the FAA gods. I had also been juggling the idea of converting to basic med as well. I had been working on my commercial rating right up to me grounding myself (hence the class 2 push) - but I'm not sure now with this diagnosis if a commercial certificate is the correct path for me anymore. I had been flying solely recreational and am content with keeping it that way if my life circumstances deem it.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but my interpretation of the FAA basic med rules are as follows:

- I obtain consent from may local provider that I'm healthy enough.
- My limitations would then be a max of 5 passengers (so something like a PA-32 Cherokee Six) as long as its under the max gross weight category the FAA defined.
- I can continue to exercise my instrument rating, and there are no limitations on class of airspace like Bravo, etc.

The one thing that makes it a bit challenging to think of that outcome, is the FAA has a provision on Basic Med that you can never have a medical certificate revoked, etc. I believe this is where I fall into the discussion. As I've already got a medical certificate, I believe I need to have the cancer cleared prior to attempting basic med. Of course, I could just not inform the FAA doctors of my situation, and then once everything is cleared just push for basic med once my certificate is nearing expiration. I don't believe this is the correct path though - and being up front with the FAA has less damning effects that if its found out I hid this from them, if you know what I mean.

It's definitely not a fun situation by any means. - But thank you VERY much for the responses. I still look forward to the continued conversation here though, hoping to see if there are more examples of all the different paths I can take, and if my original plan doesn't sound too crazy (keep grounded until the treatment has finished, then bring it up to a FAA doctor once I come out on the other side).

On Basic Med, you will need to have the physician, who can be an AME, agree that you are safe to fly. Definitely DO NOT apply for another medical certificate until you have a consult with an AME that specializes in complex cases and he can assure you you will be issued, even if as a special issuance.

Link on how to do an AME consult. http://tinyurl.com/ame-consult

You want to be sure you are not denied, as that will ruin your ability to fly LSA or under Basic Med. Could even jeopardize ability to fly gliders and motor gliders, depending on letter and circumstances.

1st step is to put the MM into remission. Then see if the medications to maintain remission are compatible with being a pilot Decide whether to renew said medical or consider and pursue basic med. You can concurrently hold both ... and let the 1st, 2nd or 3rd class expire. No denial or revocation.

I would not recommend bringing this to an FAA docs formal attention. You don't want anyone to have a reason to pursue a medical revocation (which there shouldn't be if you just self-ground). Just don't fly (at least as PIC). Even if it is a few years after your Class 3 expires, you can go Basic Med with "only" your personal docs/oncologists ok, in concurrence with the physician you go have do the Basic Med exam (if it isn't your personal doc). I suspect I won't be simple even with Basic Med, but it will likely be a more objective assessment based on your personal circumstances/condition than you'd get with the FAA for a Class 3.

Concentrate on getting healthy and winning the important battle first. Some of what you're about to go through can have some bad side effects, hopefully only temporary, but sometimes the side effects have long-term or permanent consequences. Have a continuing conversation with your oncologist on the possible side effects of treatment.

Understood on all points - thank you very much for the assistance.

I will go with this path (as suggested by you guys here):

- Fix the first underlying problem - the cancer. Either get it into remission or at least manageable via meds. It's a very good thing to be in the land of the living, so don't want to overlook this by any means. Health first. The alternative option is to get put 6 feet underground, and can't do much flying from there, that's for sure.

- Once I'm good on the first bullet, I'll get my oncologyst to assess my situation and determine if he believes I'm safe to operate aircraft under the meds he prescribes.

- After that, I'll pursue a Basic Med certificate from my primary physician, refraining from bringing this to the attention of my AME, but giving full disclosure to the physician issuing the Basic Med cert. I will do this while my Class 3 certificate is still valid (non expired) - I believe my Class 2 will be past the point of no return by the time this blows over - but not that it matters anyway. As suggested, as long as everything is up and standing I don't believe I should have issues getting the basic med cert given. Here's to hoping.

During this whole process I will keep myself grounded - since Jeff Oslick is absolutely right. I've already started treatment, and some of these side effects are less than fun to deal with.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. It's amazing how much priorities change when heavy-handed news is given and you realize there's a chance to lose one of the things you love to do.https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/members/jeff-oslick.237/

Don't forget that as you forge on with treatment, you can still engage your passion for aviation. Maybe participate in education events for kids. Help put on a WINGS seminar. Mentor a student pilot. Fly right seat to a breakfast event. Anything that keeps your spirits high and providing something fun and interesting to look forward to.

It may be too late to contribute but your certificate has to be done by an AME. Your regular physician may not be allowed to do even a 3rd class. Have you looked into Light Sport Aircraft flying? I have Myeloma and am near wanting to fly again.

It may be too late to contribute but your certificate has to be done by an AME. Your regular physician may not be allowed to do even a 3rd class. Have you looked into Light Sport Aircraft flying? I have Myeloma and am near wanting to fly again.
As he already had a certificate, his physician can OK him for BasicMed.

I personally would not PIC while on the chemo, 3rd class, basic med, whatever, for MM. It can be nasty stuff
And the disease can progress really rapidly and be suddenly crippling

So good luck in getting that puppy beat!
:(

As he already had a certificate, his physician can OK him for BasicMed.
Will they? should they?
My 3rd class ran out 31/dec/2018, with a stroke where I have no ill effects. my DR says no way .

https://www.stroke.org/en/about-str...nication-effects-of-stroke/stroke-and-aphasia

Aphasia does not affect intelligence. Stroke survivors remain mentally alert, even though their speech may be jumbled, fragmented or impossible to understand.
It is getting better, but I still have a difficult time speaking.
The speech therapist says that I am 85% of normal.

Last edited:
I personally would not PIC while on the chemo, 3rd class, basic med, whatever, for MM. It can be nasty stuff
And the disease can progress really rapidly and be suddenly crippling

So good luck in getting that puppy beat!
That, and flying itself is stressful. Yes it's sedentary, but it requires a lot of energy and attention, and isn't the best thing in the world to do when you're sick. I've failed the IMSAFE checklist on a number of occasions simply because I didn't feel up to it. I've never regretted scrubbing a flight, not even once. Health is far more important.

Understood on all points - thank you very much for the assistance.

I will go with this path (as suggested by you guys here):

- Fix the first underlying problem - the cancer. Either get it into remission or at least manageable via meds. It's a very good thing to be in the land of the living, so don't want to overlook this by any means. Health first. The alternative option is to get put 6 feet underground, and can't do much flying from there, that's for sure.

- Once I'm good on the first bullet, I'll get my oncologyst to assess my situation and determine if he believes I'm safe to operate aircraft under the meds he prescribes.

- After that, I'll pursue a Basic Med certificate from my primary physician, refraining from bringing this to the attention of my AME, but giving full disclosure to the physician issuing the Basic Med cert. I will do this while my Class 3 certificate is still valid (non expired) - I believe my Class 2 will be past the point of no return by the time this blows over - but not that it matters anyway. As suggested, as long as everything is up and standing I don't believe I should have issues getting the basic med cert given. Here's to hoping.

During this whole process I will keep myself grounded - since Jeff Oslick is absolutely right. I've already started treatment, and some of these side effects are less than fun to deal with.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. It's amazing how much priorities change when heavy-handed news is given and you realize there's a chance to lose one of the things you love to do.

One thing to keep in mind as you mull over the idea of continuing to pursue the commercial certificate is the following. Whether you go with Basic Med or pursue a true FAA Class I/II/III medical certificate, there are other opportunities besides flying for hire. You are required to possess a commercial pilot certificate to become a flight instructor, but you don't need a medical certificate to instruct (under certain circumstances); if you possess at least Basic Med, you can instruct primary students. You do, however, need at least Basic Med to take a practical test. It's been a couple years since the initial thread on this post; I'm curious how things turned out.

He hasn't posted in 3 years. Hope all worked out for him.

But, as long as this necro is alive, I didn't know it was possible to have both a 3rd class AND a 2nd class at the same time. Why would you do that? Anything you want to do on a 3rd is is allowed on a 2nd. If you don't think you can get another 2nd because something developed, then just get Basic instead of a 3rd.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back