ATP CTP Training in a CRJ700 at FlightSafety International

Matt Gunderson

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Matt Gunderson
This year one of my goals as a pilot and instructor is to complete my ATP training. The first step in becoming an ATP rated pilot is to complete the ATP CTP training. Since FlightSafety International in Atlanta, GA offers this course with 10 hours of level D sim time in a CRJ700, I knew this was where I wanted to go.

Also, FlightSafety International happens to be just a short walk from the Signature FBO at the Atlanta Hartsfield International (ATL) Airport, so what could be more convenient than to fly myself there in my Bonanza!

I spent a full week at FlightSafety in training, including classroom training and full motion simulator time. The emphasis on proper departure and arrival briefings, crew coordination, checklist usage, loss of control, low vis operations, and emergency procedures was fantastic. I highly recommend anyone who can take this training to take it. It has definitely made me a better pilot and instructor.

Hope you enjoy this short version of the adventure I enjoyed in March!

http://youtu.be/0CAFr1Rojhw

My ATP CTP experience at FSI ATL. Heres 4 hours of material and 40 hours to cover it. Plus marginally helpful sim experience. I guess its cool you get a look at things but without knowing systems and fms stuff for that platform idk how useful it is.

My ATP CTP experience at FSI ATL. Heres 4 hours of material and 40 hours to cover it. Plus marginally helpful sim experience. I guess its cool you get a look at things but without knowing systems and fms stuff for that platform idk how useful it is.
This was my experience as well. It was mostly useless and just a bunch of retired airline guys having story time with us for a week. The high altitude aerodynamics stuff was the most useful

This was my experience as well. It was mostly useless and just a bunch of retired airline guys having story time with us for a week. The high altitude aerodynamics stuff was the most useful

We had several instructors throughout the week. The first instructor was exactly as you say - story time and spending all day covering just a few hours of material. Later in the week, however, we had a CRJ700 instructor from ExpressJet and she was incredible. She was very thorough, took the time to teach us everything we needed and wanted to know (she taught us CRJ700 systems and FMS even though it wasn't required), and had very high expectations for the three of us in the class. By the end of the week, all three of us felt very comfortable in the seat and with the procedures (checklists, CRM, etc). She even had us running from a cold and dark cockpit without any trouble.

Back