United Embraer off runway in ME

It likely won't be an ASAP-only experience unfortunately.
They didn't just "slide off" the runway. They didn't land on it in the first place. They completely missed it.
This could have ended very, very badly.

I've been looking, where did you find this information? Everything I've seen indicated they landed on the runway then departed the surface.

Yeah I'll wait for the official results too. I'd say it's pretty sure they will never fly 121 again, and that they were lucky no-one got killed. They weren't even close.
I'd say it's pretty sure they will retire from flying from a 121 carrier. There are more examples than not where pilots have encountered similar situations. The ones I know are now flying as captains and first officers at SWA UAL DAL. Time will tell, and I still wish them all the best.

I'd say it's pretty sure they will retire from flying from a 121 carrier. There are more examples than not where pilots have encountered similar situations. The ones I know are now flying as captains and first officers at SWA UAL DAL. Time will tell, and I still wish them all the best.

If they would've landed on the runway and then slid off it, I would agree with you.
But landing far from the runway and crashing, that is very likely a kiss of death for your career, unless the NTSB finds some pretty compelling reasons to say this wasn't a pilot error.

You can't say there are "more examples than not" about "similar situations". Crashes like this don't happen very often, thank god for that. There was a chance this would've been a total disaster.

Look at the latest reports, and the pictures posted with the ground track. They were 100 ft off the runway when they touched down.

Look at the pictures posted here and you'll see:

https://www.facebook.com/45547021971/posts/10157145494791972/

They are approx. 100ft off but parallel to runway 01.
Thanks for posting that. I hadn't seen that information yet. Ok, TALPA had nothing to do with this one! That also explains the Category limitations for the runway.

NTSB initial report: Plane missed the runway at Presque Isle

https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/R...tID=20190304X65511&AKey=1&RType=HTML&IType=FA

The good news is that deep snow absorbs a lot of energy. From the divot in the snow it looks like they were half way between the runway and the taxiway, hit the snowbank on the north side of runway 10 - 28 then skipped a few hundred feet before hitting the snow again.

What were they thinking?

Well, the good news boss is that we didn't 'slide off the runway' ...

Back