The “Joy” of Winter Flying

Just started watching your latest video. What is this place you call 'Iowa'? :) Wow, sure looks cold. Lots of snow but the skiing doesn't look too good.

First winter in a hangar since I bought my Sport 23 years ago. I love it...:rolleyes: I'm ready for spring..:)

Yes! Been aweful. Got up for a few times around the patch this weekend after 3 weeks of Wx grounding right after getting my TW endorsement... have been real worried with being a new tailwheel guy that those skills weren’t cemented into muscle memory enough yet to endure too long a break.

Did just fine. Though two close calls Wx related.

Third landing and just began kissing the ground in one main and the little bit of dampness on my shoe facilitated right foot sliding off the rudder peddle, bad bad timing for that! Punched her and got out of there! Those shoes are in the trash, running shoes, never had running shoes that were so slick when wet.

Then,

Came inches away from a full face plant on the horizontal stabilizer pushing her back in. I have o e of those BAS tail pull handles, pushing to get her over a snow pack lip and feet went straight back and plane stood still! Ugh...

Yes I’m ready for the Wx to break!!!

Last edited:
Love winter weather in Colorado. Mostly calm air, no problems with high density altitude, etc.

Love winter flying. I used to love it so much that I would do it 8-9 months of the year.

I have never passed out from being too cold.....

Would you and your helpers like to help me shovel out my hangar too?
Mine is a completely north facing hangar, this is the south and east sides from a couple of years ago.

IMG_3616 (1024x597).jpg

Last edited:
FL has its wintry advantages, but the sky sure is full of airplanes....and English Proficient is a relative term.

June, July and August can be rather unpleasant here, but shoveling snow doesn't seem enjoyable either. Maybe we all need a summer flying home and a winter flying home.

This winter has been horrible!!!

Can't even take the airplane south because of horrible weather.. I know it does no good to complain about weather, lets call it a vent of frustration.. ;)

We are having one of the snowiest* winters I have seen since I came to my little part of NM. The interstate around town was closed due to ice and accidents. You don't realize how many 18 wheelers are on the road until you see a line of trucks 7 miles long going through town. That's 7 miles going west, another 7 miles going east. All at a snails pace.

*When I say snowiest that means total days of snow fall, not depth.

June, July and August can be rather unpleasant here, but shoveling snow doesn't seem enjoyable either. Maybe we all need a summer flying home and a winter flying home.
That would be ideal.

I have vacationed in SW Florida a few times during the summer, and while it's not perfect, I think I'd rather put up with that kind of weather for three or four months than arctic winters. Best case: have a summer and a winter home, like you said.

Low fog this morning and low 80s this afternoon. Will just have to struggle through. Good IFR practice day.

That would be ideal.

I have vacationed in SW Florida a few times during the summer, and while it's not perfect, I think I'd rather put up with that kind of weather for three or four months than arctic winters. Best case: have a summer and a winter home, like you said.

Biggest problem down here in the winter is the number of snowbirds clogging the roads. I don't know why it's called "tourist season" if we're not allowed to shoot them....

You are right. If we had mountains here, this place might actually be pretty good for skiing. More than enough snow, that's for sure.
Yeah, but you have beans. And corn. Lots of corn. My GF is from Iowa.

I know what you're saying about the north-facing hangar. today there is a shadow in front of my hangar causing the moisture in the shade not to evaporate like it's doing in the warm sun:

deleteme6.jpg

and this causes a small amount of wetness in the track of the hangar doors:

deleteme.jpg

which although it's a balmy 63 degrees out, this doesn't typically dry out until later in the afternoon.

I know, I'm roughing it, but since I'm a pilot I tough it out.

I love winter flying. Up in canada pre-flight out on the ramp was cold though...down here it's more pleasant. Snow! Also, I wouldn't recommend the beach right now. Look at all of that rain runoff from this weekend. o_O

IMG_1369.jpg IMG_1387.jpg

Winter flying is a blast. Half tanks, just me, zoom climb, VSI of over 4000fpm. Last flight I was sustained 2000fpm through 4000 and I wasn't even at Vy

Flew up to Williams, AZ this weekend. I think the driving was less safe than the flying!1F6AC08F-F6BE-4B5E-A923-E9DF1D32744B.jpeg 395A7F2F-5EC6-4DAF-AFEA-EECB17825994.jpeg

Back