Aircraft security

Lots of good ideas and some not so good ones as. I did like what @Stan Cooper posted. I'm guessing the only way to keep the plane and it's contents safe may be to have a guard watch over when you're not there. Locks only keep the honest folks out.

I've considered installing a hidden DPST toggle switch that would ground both left and right mag P-leads when I leave my plane unattended on a ramp overnight.

On some mags when disconnect the P lead at the mag it is grounded. Doubt most thieves are going to sit around diagnosing things.

I'm looking at the best way to protect the 182 when it's parked up in more unusual locations. So far, I have bought a throttle lock: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/skylock.php?clickkey=15187

I'm looking at what else I could easily do. Thoughts on the effectiveness of prop locks?
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/propLockChain.php

Is there anything I could easily do to disable it in other ways when parked up for a while, without going crazy. Maybe disconnect some spark plugs?
Have a T bar that blocks all the radios and goes between the 2 yokes with dual locks so no need to remove the radios. Send me a private Email with your address and will contribute to your trip for free.

Which is fine until you find out you have just enough fuel in the system to do the taxi, runup, and takeohhhhh!!!!!!!!! when you forget to swap in the proper fuel line....
The solution is, of course, a checklist kept in a very obvious place to help you remember. That will deter any thief who doesn't have good checklist discipline.

The solution is, of course, a checklist kept in a very obvious place to help you remember. That will deter any thief who doesn't have good checklist discipline.

Ah! You have stumbled upon the solution!

Just leave a fake checklist in the cockpit, one that omits the “Start engine” step. The would-be thief is foiled!

We’re in the process of upgrading the standard door locks with Medeco locks on our bonanza. We park frequently up in the Twin Cities at an airport with minimal security, so the expense of the new locks is worth it to me. The locks are incredibly heavy duty. Highly recommend you give Medeco a try.

What kind of aircraft are you flying to these exotic locales? Sounds like fun.

Back