Possible bird strike

Our 172 had a hawk take out the windscreen. Basically all of it. The hole made a great airscoop, took full power to maintain altitude.

I hit a goose, at night, left strut on a T-41. No real issue. I took a couple loaves of bread to the lake soon after, to feed the ducks and geese, in attonement. It's bad karma to kill another flyer, even by accident.
Another yikes.

Our 172 had a hawk take out the windscreen. Basically all of it. The hole made a great airscoop, took full power to maintain altitude.

I hit a goose, at night, left strut on a T-41. No real issue. I took a couple loaves of bread to the lake soon after, to feed the ducks and geese, in attonement. It's bad karma to kill another flyer, even by accident.

But some of them are so tasty, and unavailable prekilled in the grocery store . . . . .

I had a giant Vulture, about the size of a Great Dane, Come through my rotor system and it caved in the forward pylon, just maybe 20 inched above my head.
Three feet lower and I would have been a statistic.

I took a birdstrike to the windshield of my pickup at 65 MPH. It was a solid thump that I felt through the steering wheel. I can imagine the fun if it had been my plexiglas windshield at 120 MPH.

But some of them are so tasty, and unavailable prekilled in the grocery store . . . . .
Ducks, geese, hawks, eagles, pelicans, and all those weird, long-necked warefowly ones are fellow aviators. . .eating 'em is cosmic cannabilism. Pigeons and seagulls are sky rats, however.

Chickens and turkeys deserve to die. . .

Ducks, geese, hawks, eagles, pelicans, and all those weird, long-necked warefowly ones are fellow aviators. . .eating 'em is cosmic cannabilism. Pigeons and seagulls are sky rats, however.

Chickens and turkeys deserve to die. . .

Yep, I agree. But also on the "tasty list" are such long-necked waterfowly fellow aviators such as ducks and geese, as well as short-necked land-based variants such as dove, quail, pheasant, etc., which generally require at least a shotgun to be enjoyed.

I've had one bird strike in my 18 years of flying. The day I soloed for the first time. We hit one of the local swallows with the prop on the 172. It zigged when it should have zagged. Saw the bird go down the pilot's side of the plane. The tower sent someone out to remove the FOD from the runway after we landed. Once the runway was clear I was sent off to solo for the first time. No damage to the 172 and you couldn't even tell it had touched anything.

its an atr, give it a good wash and it will be good as new. that thing is a flying tank. I took a turkey vulture to the right prop on one on approach into key west one day. maintenance bore scoped it, washed it and sent it on its way........

its an atr, give it a good wash and it will be good as new. that thing is a flying tank. I took a turkey vulture to the right prop on one on approach into key west one day. maintenance bore scoped it, washed it and sent it on its way........
Not to one up ya here... Because I can't, not my story, but anyway to further your point. My buddy and his FO took a double goose hit in a -42 ATR. Night, EWR. One pancaked the right wing tip flat about 6 ft by 2 ft, the other hit inboard of the right nacelle and took out the engine cables. The engine was stuck at climb power. It took the both of them a ton of muscle and pilot siHt to get it down safe. They earned an ALPA Air Safety award.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Back