Aztec or NO Aztec?

Juan C Alcantara

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Flying Man
I am considering the perchance of a Piper Aztec... any thoughts?

I've always liked the Aztec. You must be comfortable with burning a lot of fuel, but it's all relative.

I always thought Aztecs were ugly and sluggish until I flew one. They compare favorably with other light twins and a -F model with the mod for 285HP engines is not as slow as the rest...

It's a truck and has an amazing useful load of over 1,600 lbs. Great short field performance makes up for the cruise speed.

They were dirt cheap for a while, but are a little more pricey as the fleet thins out.

I always thought Aztecs were ugly and sluggish until I flew one. They compare favorably with other light twins and a -F model with the mod for 285HP engines is not as slow as the rest...

It's a truck and has an amazing useful load of over 1,600 lbs. Great short field performance makes up for the cruise speed.

They were dirt cheap for a while, but are a little more pricey as the fleet thins out.

It's the GA equivalent of my pick-up - big, roomy, comfortable, tough and versatile. My '79 'F' has a useful load of almost 1900 lb. Some of the older, lighter 'C' and 'D' models hit 2000 lbs UL.

I've always liked the Aztec. You must be comfortable with burning a lot of fuel, but it's all relative.

A lot only if ROP. My numbers were low 20s combined for 155 KTAS. Less efficient than a 310 or Baron but more reliable and more load capacity.

I loved mine. They’re great for some missions and less great for others. What’s your mission?

Ted do you think time in an Aztec E would count for the time needed for insurance in an Aztec F?

Ted do you think time in an Aztec E would count for the time needed for insurance in an Aztec F?

Absolutely. Any Aztec should count towards any other Aztec. Even Apache time I expect would count as the systems are very similar.

Back