Cirrus on a 'chute in Addison

Yup. It is designed to absorb some energy. I believe the seats have some intended crush zone to help with that as well. @RudyP probably knows more about how that works.
He tends to know a lot of detail about how these things are designed.

is the pilot side window smashed or is that just a reflection? if it's busted, I wonder 1) the pilot tried to bust it incase he needed to get out that way, B) it busted on impact, or III) maybe got busted out on 'rescue' for some reason. or something else maybe...

Bottom of that cowling on the one side all blackened. Small fire??

Not my definition of small.

599540956_750x422.jpg

hoo boy look at the charred hole in that thing.

550-N is a bridge too far. I think the -G is probably a more dependable application. Their monkey their circus though. I'll be over here chiny-chin scratching my pet Lycosaurus.:D

Is there any type of protective reinforcement under the cabin area? I’m eyeing that light pole that is 10-15 feet from where the pilot seat is.

looks like the Chute was a great option, would hate to have to put it down in that area at 65 kts.

Looks like there's dirt on the tip of that prop blade. Think that engine will need a tear-down? Right main might be flat, too.

Well, sometimes having yet another option is your only option...

Looks more like the turbo was come from together to me........ V band broke, 1600 deg exhaust lit that candle!

Doesn't show it was a turbo on the registration.

Another nice plane in need of some serious repairs,always sad.

It's obvious from the photo that the engine failure was immediate and severe. The area where the plane came down is densely packed with warehouses.

Sometimes pulling the red lever isn't a sign of an inadequate pilot, is it?

If I had an engine failure at altitude in a plane equipped with a chute, I would pull that handle so hard they would have to surgically remove it from my hand.
Yep. You don't go flying a plane with a chute just so you can not pull it when the poop hits the fan. That's exactly what its there for.

Yep. You don't go flying a plane with a chute just so you can not pull it when the poop hits the fan. That's exactly what its there for.

Unless you're worried about what other pilots will think.....:rolleyes:

Pilot walked away and didn't hurt anyone else. Hard to beat that if his engine failed and no chance of making the airport. Cirrus gave him a way out..and he used it. Pretty awesome. That could be a husband or dad who might not have survived otherwise.

Will be interesting to find out the root cause of engine problem?

Pilot walked away and didn't hurt anyone else. Hard to beat that if his engine failed and no chance of making the airport. Cirrus gave him a way out..and he used it. Pretty awesome. That could be a husband or dad who might not have survived otherwise.

Will be interesting to find out the root cause of engine problem?
I agree.

Today I witnessed something I never paid attention to before. I went to the hangar jus to sit and well hang out with s buddy and his kid. Watched about 8 planes taxi down and “run up”. Now one was the jump plane and didn’t even turn plane off to reload. Of the other 7, only one did a formal run-up (was my CFI with his kid). The rest of them either just taxied and took off. Two guys throttled up a bit for maybe 10 sec. so the majority never took the time to do a formal run up..

There are plenty of POH's that have a pre-takeoff or runup checklist sequence that can be completed in ten seconds of advanced throttle.

I’ve said it before... they need to sell shirts that say “I pulled the red handle in my Cirrus and all I got was this T-shirt and another Cirrus from my insurance company.” I don’t consider BRS a mandatory safety item but I think that a pilot who uses the parachute appropriately is exercising good ADM.

I agree.

Today I witnessed something I never paid attention to before. I went to the hangar jus to sit and well hang out with s buddy and his kid. Watched about 8 planes taxi down and “run up”. Now one was the jump plane and didn’t even turn plane off to reload. Of the other 7, only one did a formal run-up (was my CFI with his kid). The rest of them either just taxied and took off. Two guys throttled up a bit for maybe 10 sec. so the majority never took the time to do a formal run up..
When the ramp is icy I'll do a run up as I taxi maybe they did that?

Doesn't show it was a turbo on the registration.
No turbo. I discussed an offer with the seller a few months ago. Not sure if sold or seller.

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

I’m not so sure....fire and smoke rise, those marks are facing downwards. I think the side of the cowl may have dug into that hole in the ground you see just next to the plane. If the fire was in flight or while floating down under BRS, the marks should go up but they don’t. But detective @tawood could debunk that theory quickly.

65, nope, 80 over the fence more like it.
80 over the fence? Only in gusty wind or if you want to float 1k feet down the runway.
Touch down is 55 to 60 depending on weight. Over the fence you should be down to 75.

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

There are plenty of POH's that have a pre-takeoff or runup checklist sequence that can be completed in ten seconds of advanced throttle.

Six out of seven aircraft?

I remember a Cirrus article linked here a while back where the pilot pulled the chute over Colorado grassland. Maybe not so cut and dry. Obviously in this situation low and urban yeah, I would break my arm pulling the red handle.

It would be damn embarrassing though for a Ciruss come floating down and land in a crumpled mess on a runway. I’m waiting for that one to happen.

Not really relavent, but I had likely driven within a couple blocks of this the day before. Had even seen a few parked along the east fence.

Back