(NA) ‘Evel Live’ on History Channel now

RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
Travis Pastrana is about to attempt 3 of Evel Knievels jumps at Caesars Palace live from Vegas on the History Channel. Happening in a few minutes... check it out!

Last edited:
He’s one talented and VERY calculated guy

Travis Pastrana is about to attempt 3 of Evel Knievels jumps at Caesars Palace live from Vegas on the History Channel. Happening in a few minutes... check it out!

It would be interesting to watch, but a 3 hour show is way, way, way too long. Guess they "need" to give background and create additional drama . . . . .

It would be interesting to watch, but a 3 hour show is way, way, way too long. Guess they "need" to give background and create additional drama . . . . .

it's actually pretty boring. the jumps themselves are only slightly less boring. I think it would be more exciting with less time in between each. and more mrs pastrana shots.

I agree, I lost interest LOL. Waaaay too much hype involved. I originally thought it would all take place rather quickly and I was eager to watch it, but it’s been drawn out beyond its limit. I’m going to bed. Nighty nite!

This is the History Channel, you say? The same History Channel that cannot and will not show a single episode of anything without excessive commercials, at the conclusion of which the show jumps backwards in time to re-show the hapless viewer the same exact three minutes of nothing that didn't happen right before said commercial break? No wonder it was boring. :(

I agree, I lost interest LOL. Waaaay too much hype involved. I originally thought it would all take place rather quickly and I was eager to watch it, but it’s been drawn out beyond its limit. I’m going to bed. Nighty nite!

Told ya. :rofl:

I was a teenager when Evel K was doing all of his stunts and they were covered live on network tv and his was a household name. I had never heard of this Travis guy until this thread.

I was a teenager when Evel K was doing all of his stunts and they were covered live on network tv and his was a household name. I had never heard of this Travis guy until this thread.
Yeah he’s big in the motocross world, one of the top riders. Looks like he’s now trying to top Evel...

Yeah he’s big in the motocross world, one of the top riders. Looks like he’s now trying to top Evel...
I know little about motorcycles or how they have evolved since Evel did his jumps but theoretically with a modern bike shouldn’t a rider who is let’s say equal in talent to Evel easily top his jumps?

If he wants to top Evel, he needs to jump with a Harley, not an overpowered import . . . .

If he wants to top Evel, he needs to jump with a Harley, not an overpowered import . . . .
I think he used an Indian, thought that was US built. Most likely tricked out to the max, temp was 100F,,

I wouldn't classify a thread about Knievel or Pastrana to be (NA).

Don't know what kind of bike he was riding, but it looked small and light, just the kind of thing you want to use to jump stuff. Evel Knievel used a Harley.

Results of a very indepth and lengthy 10 second research project....

Knievel briefly used a Honda 350cc motorcycle, using it to jump a crate of rattlesnakes and two mountain lions, which was his first known jump. Knievel then used a Norton Motorcycle Company 750cc. He used the Norton for only one year during 1966.

Between 1967 and 1968, Knievel jumped using the Triumph Bonneville (with a 650cc engine). Knievel used the Triumph at the Caesars Palace crash on New Year’s Eve 1967. When Knievel returned to jumping after the crash, he used Triumph for the remainder of 1968.

Between December 1969 and April 1970, Knievel used the Laverda American Eagle 750cc motorcycle. On December 12, 1970, Knievel would switch to the Harley-Davidson XR-750, the motorcycle with which he is best known for jumping. Knievel would use the XR-750 in association with Harley-Davidson until 1977.

On September 8, 1974, Knievel attempted to jump the Snake River Canyon on a rocket propelled motorcycle designed by former NASA engineer Robert Truax dubbed the Skycycle X-2. The State of Idaho registered the X-2 as an airplane rather than a motorcycle.

http://evelknievel.com/the-man/

Guy wants to jump stuff now, he's got all kinds of computer assisted analysis to calculate the mass, speed, ramp angle, all of it. He's got a modern bike with all of the technical advances of the past few decades. Bigger, stronger engines, better brakes, better everything, and WAY better protective gear. There's very little left to chance, and I'm sure the sponsors and network have made sure it's all calculated so that only gross negligence or a freak accident could cause any complications.

I always got the impression Evel wasn't dumb and did a lot of planning, but a fair amount of it was educated SWAGs and TLAR engineering. Guarantee there wasn't a lot of compute time spent on the analysis before one of his jumps... hence the number of mishaps and hospitalizations. Good on Mr. Pastrana for doing it, but he's not Evel Kneivel... and the Discovery Channel could make a moon landing, a war or a strip tease too boring to watch.

Never heard of Travis Pastrana? Lets go back 15 years... LOL!

We can go

We can go back further. Pastrana was on his way up in the MX/SX world but was injury-prone. One of the few that could run with Ricky Carmichael and James Stewart and even beat them on a good day. Unfortunately the repeated injuries got to him, and there was huge $$$ to be made in the blooming Freestyle MX offshoot of MX. He went that route, made $$$, got into rally racing, started doing stunts, and has made quite the name for himself along with a ton of dollars. By all accounts he’s a down to earth genuine nice guy too.

He tried NASCAR at one point in time. Didn't last very long.

Yep. Never heard of him. Why is that a surprise? I don’t follow the motorcycle sports world. It isn’t that interesting to me. Just like most of the population probably wouldn’t recognize names from the airshow circuit, Reno races, The Red Bull races, etc. Heck, I seem to recall some threads on POA where some of the posters didn’t know who some very famous aviator was. We all have our interests and they are not all the same. I don’t even recognize some of the internet aviation video stars that many on here rant about and I’m an aviation nut.

Back