Which King package for IFR

TimRF79

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
I see King offers 3 packages:
$600, $400 and $280
which is the best value to study for the IR?

I'd say it's a toss-up between the $280 and the $400.

Best value? The FAA books. :)

Second best, the ASA books.

Third, Gleim. Very good if you need audio only. They have CDs and they’re good for someone with a long commute.

King is way down the list in dollar value, but worth every penny if you have to have video to stay awake and want it concise and to the point in a reasonable order of building blocks.

Higher in dollar value is Machado and his stuff is even better if you need reasons not to fall asleep reading. He tries and usually succeeds to be entertaining to wake you back up inbetween the dry stuff.

Someone pointed out Machado’s recent multi-part series on IFR charts to me the other day and it’s a very nice deep dive into nearly everything in the chart legend and charting documentation.

But one can just study the legend for free, too.

All depends how you like to study. But everything you need is available for free if you can learn how to study with it.

Personally, King and Gleim . . . I don't remember spending anything like $600 - it was somewhere in the $200+ range, but that was 10+ years ago. The Kings are experts, and what I got from them was both the technical understanding and the guidance on the test prep.

I bought the king written test prep and the checkride prep as well. Was the lower tier of the two. I think all you need is the written test prep. Basic one.

Best value? The FAA books. :)
Third, Gleim. Very good if you need audio only. They have CDs and they’re good for someone with a long commute.

Is the GLEIM audio explaining things well enough, that you can understand while commuting (my drive is 35 to 90 minutes each way, depending on traffic)

I see King offers 3 packages:
$600, $400 and $280
which is the best value to study for the IR?
My experience with King's customer service has been good. Especially when I wanted an "a la carte" solution.

When I called them for IFR, I wanted much of what the top tier package offered, but didn't need many of the other items. And I definitely wanted the "package price" of the added modules.

So I called them and let them know what I wanted. The rep on the phone was able to do as I wished, and the price was a significant savings over just clicking the button and purchasing.

So, with King Schools, if you want a customized package, call and discuss it with them.

Is the GLEIM audio explaining things well enough, that you can understand while commuting (my drive is 35 to 90 minutes each way, depending on traffic)

I thought they were “ok” but I ended up preferring reading over listening. I just mentioned that they have them (or did? Don’t know if that’s current intel...) because I haven’t seen those from others (also didn’t look very hard... ha!).

I vote for the King package just because it worked so well for me for the private.

I vote for the King package just because it worked so well for me for the private.
That is the consensus on Video, but which package is the right one?
What all makes sense to get for someone that wants to fully do written study at home (I assume King gives you the paper to take the written after passing online tests).
As well as working on the flying skills with an in home simulator.

$600 for a study package?????? what am I missing?
After you buy it, you are missing $600

JK- it has all kinds of stuff, not sure if it's all needed for me.
I bought the GLEIM PPL kit and most books I never opened (total waste of money).

$600 for a study package?????? what am I missing?

http://kingschools.com/ground-school/instrument-rating/courses

For King Schools, the different IFR course cost $280, $400, and $600. And the more expensive ones offer more items over the prior tier.

For example, with the $600 package, in addition to the basic IFR items you also get the following pilot skill courses, some of which King asks as much as $50.00 when purchased as a standalone.

13 King Schools´ pilot skills courses
  • GPS From A to Z featuring the KLN 94
  • Complete Jeppesen Chart Review
  • IFR With Confidence
  • IFR Regulations Refresher
  • Weather Wise
  • METAR/TAF Made Easy
  • Navigation From A to Z
  • Surviving Your Most Feared Emergencies
  • Surviving Systems Emergencies
  • How to Avoid Unwanted Adventure
  • Airport Signs, Markings & Procedures
  • Practical Risk Management for Single-Pilot IFR
  • Practical Risk Management For Pilots
And with the top tier, you also are granted access to an online resource library with many things. Some/many are available on the FAA website if you know how to search/find/navigate it.

Whether these additional items are worth spending the extra money is subjective and will vary from student to student.

In days of old, you also got a bag with some other goodies. But it appears that with everything becoming a downloadable product, they've nixed the physical items.

That is the consensus on Video, but which package is the right one?

To expand on my previous comment, get the cheapest package if you have access to someone who recently did the checkride with your DPE and none of the bonus videos grab your interest. Otherwise buy the midpriced one.

Back