Glad I got outbid!

Wow. :eek: I knew that inflated shipping prices were not atypical on eBay but that cost is beyond the pale.

I can understand an inflated price for hazmat charges, but $179.61!?!? :eek:

I'm in Texas, and it was quoting over $193... but when you set up your auction, you can say "actual shipping PLUS $XX", and the $XX premium isn't shown to you, the buyer... he might have $50-100 in there for profit or "packing materials". You really have to watch these auctions before you bid. Especially on the electronics items (memory, etc.) you'll find what looks like a really good deal, but the seller is hiding his profit in the shipping.

He's got the shipping calculator set to quote next day air. You could ship ground instead.

If you empty it of all oxygen, label it as such, it can be shipped parcel post.

Sigh.

It is not uncommon on Ebay for people to put HUGE shipping charges on something to make their money.
Ebay charges the auction fee based on the SALE price. Shipping and Handling is not included in what fee the seller is charged.
If it is as "crazy" as everyone says and it is brought to Ebay's attention they will end the auction normally, if this is not the first offense they will ban the seller.

Mark B

If you read the Q&A section, he said he'd work with you to find the most economical method as long as it could be insured and tracked. Also, shipping something like that (hazmat) probably is prohibitively expensive. Aeromedix ran into issues with this:

http://www.aeromedix.com/aeromedix_articles/eox/index.html

(middle of page)

Still, it seems steep.

If you read the Q&A section, he said he'd work with you to find the most economical method as long as it could be insured and tracked.

Yeah, but that question got posted after my initial $10 bid... then I thought "I should have looked at what his shipping charges are gonna be", went and looked, and thought "OH ****!"

It is not uncommon on Ebay for people to put HUGE shipping charges on something to make their money.
Ebay charges the auction fee based on the SALE price. Shipping and Handling is not included in what fee the seller is charged.
If it is as "crazy" as everyone says and it is brought to Ebay's attention they will end the auction normally, if this is not the first offense they will ban the seller.

Mark B
We bought a surfboard on eBay once and the seller just happened to be in Jacksonville. We asked if we could just come pick it up, at which point the seller added a $20 "pickup fee."

We bought a surfboard on eBay once and the seller just happened to be in Jacksonville. We asked if we could just come pick it up, at which point the seller added a $20 "pickup fee."

LOL...and I would have told them to kiss my ass.

Fleabay is ridiculous nowadays.

Back