Reference needed Jackson Hole, WY

inspectorpacket

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
inspectorpacket
Wife and I are going on a vacation, thinking it would be cool to take a lesson while I am out there. Any recommendations?

Plan is to have my current instructor give the remote instructor a lesson plan.

Any recommendations on CFI, or which school to check with?

You may not need to make it a "lesson" that would replace one of your lessons at home - I would suggest that you take your wife along too and that both of you enjoy the ride. There should be some pretty good views there.

The main thing that would be important to learn from there is the effect of density altitude on performance, so I would suggest that, if at all possible, you rent the same type of aircraft you're training in at home. It's likely to be quite an eye-opener if you're coming from someplace below 2000 MSL.

Looking at what's there, it appears that Fly Jackson Hole might be the only place to go for instruction/rental. Unfortunately, their only airplane is the R172K "Hawk XP" which is a 210hp version of the 172, so the higher density altitude won't be quite as apparent except in the unlikely event you're flying an XP where you're coming from.

I'm leaving on a trip to go there the day after tomorrow and I'll be there until 7/1, let me know if you want me to scope anything out for you.

Learn about mountain flying. Density altitude, airplane performance, box canyons, standing lenticular, etc. it will serve you well in the long run.

Thanks for the replies and sorry for delay, been traveling.

I spoke with flyjacksonhole folks and they are short on CFIs and politely declined. I did find another venue Teton Aviation just across the border in Idaho that was more than happy to help out.

Have a lesson booked, and looking forward to flying in the mountains.

Good luck with your lesson. I’ve heard lots of good things about flying out of Driggs airport.

Jackson is nice. Beautiful scenery, interesting town, incredible food. But the airport is incredibly busy for one of that size. Not the best place for lessons.

The Tetons are just as gorgeous (if not more so) from the Idaho side!
Early in the morning, you might see hot air balloons launching.
Have fun!

Back from KJAC. It was a great trip, and beautiful, but I doubt I'll ever go back unless they get another FBO. Jackson Hole Aviation had average-to-mediocre service, yet nailed me for nearly $400 in fees for a piston single! :mad::incazzato::mad3:

Back from KJAC. It was a great trip, and beautiful, but I doubt I'll ever go back unless they get another FBO. Jackson Hole Aviation had average-to-mediocre service, yet nailed me for nearly $400 in fees for a piston single! :mad::incazzato::mad3:
Wtf!?! How’s that break down??? I would have lost it.

How many hours did you fly? I've paid $500 before, that that was about 2.5 hours dual in a C-172, on the island of Hawaii. Yup, $200/hour dual in a C-172. I knew it going in, so it wasn't a shock. Oh, and that was 11 years ago. I don't even want to think what the rate is now. 3rd time I flew with them, they are good.

I flew out of KJAC once. Mountain flying lesson. It was a regular C-172, IIRC. 15 years ago. 1.5 hours. $52.50 for the CFI, $120 for the airplane.

How many hours did you fly? I've paid $500 before, that that was about 2.5 hours dual in a C-172, on the island of Hawaii.

No, @Ghery... I did not fly one of their planes. I flew MY plane IN, and it cost me that much.

Wtf!?! How’s that break down??? I would have lost it.

Well, we started by landing at 9:47, loading our crap onto the van, and driving out the gate at 10:02. FBO closes at 10. For that extra two minutes, I got nailed for a $150 "after hours callout" (even though they were already there).

Like most of the places I go, I give rides to whatever family/friends I'm visiting who want a ride. Unlike any other place I've been, Jackson Hole Aviation charged me another handling fee for every landing. Every other place I've been that has such a fee will charge one handling fee for the week and let me come and go as I please in the meantime.

The airport is on National Park land and there is a landing fee. I get that. That's about $10 for me. There's a $15 overnight fee - Also reasonable.

So, I would have expected to pay about $185 between the handling fee, overnights, and landing fees, though I would have expected somewhat better service. The additional handling fees and "callout" fee are way out of line with the practices of any other FBO I've been to, even at class B and C airports.

No, @Ghery... I did not fly one of their planes. I flew MY plane IN, and it cost me that much.

Well, we started by landing at 9:47, loading our crap onto the van, and driving out the gate at 10:02. FBO closes at 10. For that extra two minutes, I got nailed for a $150 "after hours callout" (even though they were already there).

Like most of the places I go, I give rides to whatever family/friends I'm visiting who want a ride. Unlike any other place I've been, Jackson Hole Aviation charged me another handling fee for every landing. Every other place I've been that has such a fee will charge one handling fee for the week and let me come and go as I please in the meantime.

The airport is on National Park land and there is a landing fee. I get that. That's about $10 for me. There's a $15 overnight fee - Also reasonable.

So, I would have expected to pay about $185 between the handling fee, overnights, and landing fees, though I would have expected somewhat better service. The additional handling fees and "callout" fee are way out of line with the practices of any other FBO I've been to, even at class B and C airports.

Ouch! That is downright unreasonable. I wouldn't be back, either.

Ouch! That is downright unreasonable. I wouldn't be back, either.

I'll second that. That's egregious! I haven't flown to JAC in many years, opting for WYS... Looks like DIJ is much more accommodating to GA...

We were considering a vacation trip there. No longer, unless they give @flyingcheesehead a written apology and refund, and they change those policies.

Doubtful, since when I queried as to why they were charging like that when nobody else does, they said it came straight from the owner of the FBO.

I would dispute the charge from my credit card. That "call out fee" is highway robbery.

I think that is a really good idea. For one thing, I suspect the owner probably knows nothing about it; yet. That would bring it to his/her attention.

Don't think they care. Another FBO petitioned to be there for competition. The airport authority rather than opening the airport to another FBO decided to kick the current FBO out in a buyout. So it will be airport owned, I think after 2023? Will it be better for GA? Not sure there, but doubtful. Once the airport authority owns it, I imagine they will be under pressure from the multi million dollar homes around the airport to further squeeze out those pesky bug smashers.'

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media...ort-board-votes-to-take-over-jackson-hole-fbo

Love Driggs. My wife and I with our two dogs flew up there last Sept and spent 4 days in a vacation rental that had the most gorgeous views. I’d go back in a heartbeat. Nice airport/FBO, staff, and people.

Attachments

• 8A09EA68-542F-4DE4-A5EF-6849F584FF70.jpeg
    8A09EA68-542F-4DE4-A5EF-6849F584FF70.jpeg
    158.3 KB · Views: 22
Hi all... Following up on my experience at Driggs... OMG it was terrific. I would rate them a 11 out of 10.

I was totally take by surprise at how nice the FBO and lounge area is. I was paired up with Isaac (summer help from Arizona - he was totally awesome) as the CFI. As you can see from the selfie, I am quite happy, this lesson was super good and so glad I got to experience the difference between Atlanta and mountain flying, even if only for an hour or so. Knowing how different the plane acted is immensely helpful. We also practiced, power off stalls, turns about a point, s turns across a road. I feel like I could have flown for 5 more hours.

Yes, the warbird museum was cool, I would love to be able to take a fighter jet flight one day. My dream since a kid ;-)

Here is a smugmug link to some photos with the obligatory selfie and shot with Grand Tetons off in the horizon.

From the FBO’s website, “Tie-downs are by reservation only” in nice red letters predominantly displayed in the middle of their web page. Their reservation form requests a dates and times for arrivals and departures so they can serve you properly.

Having been to this FBO and having a good experiance, I have to suspect a failure to communicate on your part other than the flight instruction request.
http://www.jhaviation.com/

Last edited:
We were considering a vacation trip there. No longer, unless they give @flyingcheesehead a written apology and refund, and they change those policies.

Well... We're halfway there. They did refund the $150 "overnight callout" fee that they charged me for still being there a couple minutes past closing. No apology, and I don't expect one.

I think maybe they've made it back into "I might go there again someday" territory, but only if I'm not planning on doing any sightseeing flights, $100 burgers, etc. since they nailed me for the ramp fee again each time I went out.

I stopped in there, saw Ben Haas (RIP). I recall that, showing up in a Navajo, the attitude was "Ugh... is there some corner we can stick you in so that nobody sees you?" It was a nice Navajo, too, and I was just there for fuel and to leave.

Don't waste your time with KJAC. They have a horrible reputation for things like this. Go to Driggs (KDIJ) and drive back and forth over the pass if you are staying in Jackson. It's a 35-45 minute drive and worth it, or the Alpine airpark in Alpine, Wyoming....about the same distance and pretty sure you can tie down there even though it is private.

Even better, West Yellowstone is a great airport.

I stopped in there, saw Ben Haas (RIP). I recall that, showing up in a Navajo, the attitude was "Ugh... is there some corner we can stick you in so that nobody sees you?" It was a nice Navajo, too, and I was just there for fuel and to leave.

Hah! Yup. The only stuff that gets to park up front is Gulfstreams. Maybe a Falcon 2000 on a slow day. Then a little farther away, the rest of the Falcons, Lears, Hawkers, and maybe Citation Sovereigns and other midsize+ bizjets are parked where they can still be seen. If you dare show your face in something that burns stinky fuel but has props, or one of the slower/smaller Citations, they put you up against the fence to block the view of the fact that they actually have some piston singles/twins tied down there. Some poor guy had worked all his life to buy himself that Eclipse jet, and they made him tie down with all of us piston pounders over near the airline ramp! :rofl:

Hah! Yup. The only stuff that gets to park up front is Gulfstreams. Maybe a Falcon 2000 on a slow day. Then a little farther away, the rest of the Falcons, Lears, Hawkers, and maybe Citation Sovereigns and other midsize+ bizjets are parked where they can still be seen. If you dare show your face in something that burns stinky fuel but has props, or one of the slower/smaller Citations, they put you up against the fence to block the view of the fact that they actually have some piston singles/twins tied down there. Some poor guy had worked all his life to buy himself that Eclipse jet, and they made him tie down with all of us piston pounders over near the airline ramp! :rofl:

If you ain't in a Gulfstream, you're nobody. You learn that quick up there.

Back