POA Southeast Skydive Day?

FormerHangie

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
FormerHangie
Anybody in the southeast want to skydive? I'm just back from Skydive Spaceland Atlanta, and had a thought, that rather than do a $100 hamburger run, how about a meetup at 4A4
and do a skydive tandem? Skydive Spaceland has a nice facility a few miles away and they will pick you up from there, or since I would be driving, I could. If 4A4 isn't fancy enough for you I could get you from KPUJ.

Time and date is wide open. Weather wise, September and October are probably the most reliable.

Anyone interested?

They have a somewhat different approach to training new jumpers that they refer to as the Skydiver Training Program. It starts with two tandems, after which they send you out with one instructor for 18 jumps then you do five solo jumps, then you get your A license. So yes, they do teach people to be solo skydivers.

Here's their instruction page: https://atlanta.skydivespaceland.com/skydiving-license-week/

2 hour flight in my plane, to get into someone else's plane, so I can jump out of said plane, to get back into my plane to come home. I'm a maybe.

They have a somewhat different approach to training new jumpers that they refer to as the Skydiver Training Program. It starts with two tandems, after which they send you out with one instructor for 18 jumps then you do five solo jumps, then you get your A license. So yes, they do teach people to be solo skydivers.

Here's their instruction page: https://atlanta.skydivespaceland.com/skydiving-license-week/
I was asking if they allowed solo jumps from the start. Sounds like a no to me.

My wife says, "been there, done that, got the tee shirt...thanks but, no thanks...dont want to be a meat-bomb again " me? I'm just a 185lbs chicken.... So we'll skip this one... not that I dont think its a unique idea... way to think outta the box, @FormerHangie but you guys should have fun...:rolleyes: really....

I would imagine if you are an experienced jumper, they'd let you go solo or at least AFF.
Never jumped but the DZ I flew for had a freefall course for beginners. Lots more ground trading but the first time out the door was solo free fall with an instructor jumping as chase to help if you had problems. Never did it but I don’t like the idea of being strapped to someone else. Have always regretted not taking the free jump training I was offered.

I have a friend that is a tandem guy at Skydive Monroe.

Never jumped but the DZ I flew for had a freefall course for beginners. Lots more ground trading but the first time out the door was solo free fall with an instructor jumping as chase to help if you had problems. Never did it but I don’t like the idea of being strapped to someone else. Have always regretted not taking the free jump training I was offered.

That sound like AFF, Accelerated Free Fall. That's where you start out with a six hour ground school, and then progress through seven levels. In levels 1-3 you usually go out with two instructors, and levels 4 - 7 you go out with one instructor. Nearly every drop zone other than Skydive Spaceland teaches this. I was thinking about doing that a few years ago because i didn't think being attached to an instructor sounded all that cool. What changed my mind was a trip to the wind tunnel last fall. The wind exerts a lot of force on you during freefall, and falling through the air definitely is not a natural thing for many of us. I did static line many years ago, which is solo from day 1, but that was using round parachutes and there wasn't much to flying them. I'm glad I did the tandem, and if I were going to get a skydiving license, I'd want to do a couple more tandems even if I were going to do AFF.

That sound like AFF, Accelerated Free Fall. That's where you start out with a six hour ground school, and then progress through seven levels. In levels 1-3 you usually go out with two instructors, and levels 4 - 7 you go out with one instructor. Nearly every drop zone other than Skydive Spaceland teaches this. I was thinking about doing that a few years ago because i didn't think being attached to an instructor sounded all that cool. What changed my mind was a trip to the wind tunnel last fall. The wind exerts a lot of force on you during freefall, and falling through the air definitely is not a natural thing for many of us. I did static line many years ago, which is solo from day 1, but that was using round parachutes and there wasn't much to flying them. I'm glad I did the tandem, and if I were going to get a skydiving license, I'd want to do a couple more tandems even if I were going to do AFF.
Yes. Advanced free fall. I had forgotten what it was called. Been a few years.

Lol I think it’s funny no one will go! Sad face

Yeah, when the DZ I worked for (Skydive Dallas) was bought be Spaceland I considered seeing if I could stay on as an instructor. When I heard about their AFF training program (the two tandems then single instructor after that) I decided I really didn’t want to continue with them. I had too many students who could have benefitted from THREE instructors!

My wife and I did tandem jumps at Cedartown 15 years ago. There is a fine line between “this is awesome and I want to learn how to do it” and, “you got away with it once, why do it again?” I’ve haven’t crosssed that line.

What is their weight limit?

Unless I change my mind at a later point, I'm going to pass on this one.

When I started back in 1983, it was static lines, followed by hop & pops, followed by increased freefall lengths. If I were to begin again, I'd prefer to go somewhere that would allow me to go straight to AFF and not have to do tandem. I would however not try to go solo my first time back let alone as a new jumper. That is crazy.

No thanks.
1. I don't like parachutes.
2. I really don't like parachutes packed by other people.

Back