ForeFlight Customers Invited to Participate in Mobile Clearance Delivery Testing

Appears someday in the not so distant future, when we are at remote fields, we won't need to use the phone to get our takeoff clearances.

ForeFlight Customers Invited to Participate in MITRE Mobile Clearance Delivery Testing at KHEF

Link to ForeFlight Blog

Refresh my memory, Mike. How much is Foreflight paying you to continuously pimp their product?

Oh...

...That's right...

I've asked you this question numerous times and never received an honest answer.

...this thread needs to be moved to the classifieds section.

Why are you always so cantankerous toward me? I always thought of you as a pleasant person. Has something changed that I am not aware of?

And to answer your question, I am not compensated by any aviation product or company. That’s the honest answer.

Just sharing the most recent news. Would do the same for any product or service that I like. No reason for an angry poke from you in my general direction.

Last edited:
And to answer your question, I am not compensated by any aviation product or company. That’s the honest answer.
No free subscription even?

I'm not "cantankerous towards" you. I just can't understand you persistent shilling of Foreflight. And you're definitely a persistant shill.

I don't see anyone else pimping here with such frequency for any other aviation product. Well, except maybe for the plane perfect guy.

I'm not "cantankerous towards" you. I just can't understand you persistent shilling of Foreflight. And you're definitely a persistant shill.

I don't see anyone else pimping here with such frequency for any other aviation product. Well, except maybe for the plane perfect guy.

Hey I love Plane Perfect!!!

Mike also advocates aggressively for many pilots seeking new medical certificates to consult an AME before activating the IACRA account, yet he only has one medical certificate. I love ForeFlight, too. (Hey Mike, can you hook me up, dude?) :)

Mike also advocates aggressively for many pilots seeking new medical certificates to consult an AME before activating the IACRA account, yet he only has one medical certificate. I love ForeFlight, too. (Hey Mike, can you hook me up, dude?) :)
Mike called me and explained. He's not shilling...he's just an extreme fan boy! ;)

I'm based at KHEF and found out about the test from Airport OPs who sent out an e-mail to all the tenants. Unfortunately I don't use ForeFlight. I'm almost tempted to download a copy of FF just to give it a go and see if the test works as advertised.

Last edited:
lol, if Foreflight gave me a free subscription for life I’d happily rename my dog Foreflight and run up and down the floors of every FBO in FL naked whilst waving flags that say Foreflight on them.

$300 a year is no joke.

:p:confused:

Mike is very enthusiastic about ForeFlight; I'm not sure when it happened, but he apparently took that over from Kent, who used to be a one-man marketing department for FireFlight.

I think Kent had to give that up after he swore his blood oath to Tesla. :)

And, as for Tim, he did not *just* become cantankerous.

Yeah, that guy is the worst!

Foreflight is pretty awesome though. I've been having a good time lately planning my upcoming trip to Idaho and downloading old USGS maps and importing them into ForeFlight via their User Content interface. One of the ones I imported as a test was a 1905 map of my part of Wisconsin. So cool to fly around using Wright Brothers era maps with Foreflight putting the aviation graphics over the top.

Yeah, that guy is the worst!

Foreflight is pretty awesome though. I've been having a good time lately planning my upcoming trip to Idaho and downloading old USGS maps and importing them into ForeFlight via their User Content interface. One of the ones I imported as a test was a 1905 map of my part of Wisconsin. So cool to fly around using Wright Brothers era maps with Foreflight putting the aviation graphics over the top.

Whoa, cool! You must show me how to do this. And where you got an electronic copy of a 1905 map!

Or he just really likes the product. As do I. Which is why I volunteer some of my time as a beta tester for them, so I can help make it better. Yes, I get a free subscription. No, it's not even close to worth it for the time I spend making sure it isn't cantankerous, even when the pilot is. :p

lol, if Foreflight gave me a free subscription for life I’d happily rename my dog Foreflight and run up and down the floors of every FBO in FL naked whilst waving flags that say Foreflight on them.

$300 a year is no joke.

I once spent $225 on charts for a single trip in the pre-ForeFlight era. The cost of flying, period, is no joke.

Also, ForeFlight starts at $99/year. The $99 Basic Plus plan is geared toward your average recreational VFR pilot, though it does include everything you need for IFR as well as logbook and weight & balance features.

$199 gets you Pro Plus which adds "geo-referenced plates and airport diagrams, Plates on Maps, Hazard Advisor™, flight plan notifications, route Profile View, and Cloud Documents, which allows you to sync documents you’ve uploaded through ForeFlight Manage to all your devices." https://www.foreflight.com/support/faqs/pricing/

The $299 Performance Plus plan is really meant for those who fly stinky-fuel burners up in the flight levels. It provides what I believe to be the most accurate time enroute and fuel burn numbers available anywhere, since it's taking both performance and winds aloft into account at all altitudes during climb and descent. It's fun to play with and pretend I have a jet, though, and it does allow you to put in a detailed performance profile for your own airplane or use one of the pre-done ones they have if you're really into efficiency. However, with a blue-juice burner where the fuel burn and performance doesn't vary nearly as much with altitude, you probably wouldn't save the extra $100 in the course of a year... Maybe if you had something with a turbo and had a wide variety of altitudes available. Maybe. But as an example, using the Basic profile for my plane for a hypothetical trip from Wisconsin to Philly for the Wings FlyBQ, I would have picked 13,000 as the best altitude, since it tied 11,000 for the lowest fuel burn (48.4 gal) but was a minute shorter (3:37). Looking at the Performance profile, I see that 11,000 would actually be the shortest at 3:41 and burn 45.8 gal, while 17,000 and FL190 tie for the lowest fuel burn (41.8 gal).

But in reality, that "mistake" would have cost me 1.4 gallons of 100LL, so Performance saved me about six bucks on what would be one of my 10 longest flights for the year. So, fun for us true geeks, but probably not financially worthwhile for the normally aspirated piston flyers here (myself included).

Mike is very enthusiastic about ForeFlight; I'm not sure when it happened, but he apparently took that over from Kent, who used to be a one-man marketing department for FireFlight.

I take full credit for their 90% market penetration. :rofl: (That is their market penetration in my flying club, at least... Even the guy who works for Google has an iPad with ForeFlight.) 90% ForeFlight, 3.33% Garmin Aera, 3.33% Garmin Pilot, 3.33% paper-wielding Luddite. Not bad.

Hah! I just appreciate well-designed, innovative products. ForeFlight completely changed the way we fly. Tesla will change the way we drive. And though they aren't what they were when Jobs was around, I do have a small pile of Apple gadgets in my general vicinity most of the time. And even though they're the big kid on the block, Garmin has captured the lion's share of the GA avionics market for a reason so you could call me a fan of theirs too.

:rofl:

I like how ForeFlight gives you the expected clearance on all ifr filed flight plans.

When you call clearance delivery, it seems correct most of the time.

Spike wins the best post of the thread award. ROFLMAO. :)

ForeFlight's been well worth it at the upper level for me the last few years, on the larger iPhone, it's all I routinely use.

@flyingcheesehead I know Performance Plus isn’t necessary but I just love how precise and fast it is and the detailed navlog it makes under flights for hypothetical or actual. There isn’t a reason for anyone to neglect themselves from the extra capability. I love to use all the available tools and explore/utilize the new features as they come out.

I can’t wait for them to roll the Mobile clearence out to all of us around the U.S.

I’ve used Foreflight back from the start of my flight training and I always use it with backups. I was taught and I know how to take time to gather and interpolate all the data you need from other sources the old fashioned way. I just can’t see how some people out there can’t or are afraid to use it. I’m not sure how widespread this is but I have seen pilots struggle to do simple things on Foreflight. It’s like they get a dedicated iPad just to keep up with the times but only know how to load a basic route and/or follow the chart and that’s it. I’m always happy to demonstrate or explain something if I’m asked. It’s just, you’re not paying hourly for it. You don’t need a course on how to use it. Just sit down with a biscuit and some smooth jazz, put your feet up, and play around with it. There is a wealth of information made available to you and it is so capable.

Last edited:
Here a great question, with all the money the FAA has given
Leidos for flight service, why is this not a free product from 1800wxbrief?

Hey Mike thanks for posting this. I’m not sure why TIM seems to have burr under his saddle about sharing aviation related information you are excited about. Anyway you handled it well.

Falls under "All things in moderation."

I’ve used Foreflight back from the start of my flight training and I always use it with backups. I was taught and I know how to take time to gather and interpolate all the data you need from other sources the old fashioned way. I just can’t see how some people out there can’t or are afraid to use it. I’m not sure how widespread this is but I have seen pilots struggle to do simple things on Foreflight. It’s like they get a dedicated iPad just to keep up with the times but only know how to load a basic route and/or follow the chart and that’s it. I’m always happy to demonstrate or explain something if I’m asked. It’s just, you’re not paying hourly for it. You don’t need a course on how to use it. Just sit down with a biscuit and some smooth jazz, put your feet up, and play around with it. There is a wealth of information made available to you and it is so capable.

Well, there are an awful lot of people who only know how to use the GPS in their plane to go direct somewhere. It's quite a surprising amount, actually.

They probably all still have old VCRs blinking 12:00 under their TVs too. ;)

Well, there are an awful lot of people who only know how to use the GPS in their plane to go direct somewhere. It's quite a surprising amount, actually.

They probably all still have old VCRs blinking 12:00 under their TVs too. ;)

Hahaha on that last line. Many used to religiously set the VCR clock and then realized it had no value anymore in a world where networked and automatically set clocks were available. So the ones that won’t set themselves are now summarily ignored. :)

P.S. The above is also what drives statements like, “Just always use Vectors to Final” if you want a chance to fix the stupid crap the other way causes. ;)

It’s not accurate, but it’s right enough of the time that folks give up on the badly implemented but occasionally more powerful and accurate user interface stuff.

I'd use FF if I didn't have to use an apple tablet to run it.

Well played. Well played, indeed.

Will add $50 to an already grossly over priced product.

I have developers on my team which cost 15k$ A month to add few precious lines of codes to existing systems. Software development ain’t cheap.

With such a small potential market, I find it amazing what ForeFlight offers in terms of functionality. Moving map, adsb traffic and weather display, synthetic vision, up to date maps and airports, flight planning, etc. I can appreciate the effort that went into this.

And for my vfr flying, the price sure beats the database updates of Garmin 650/750 or Avidyne IFD440/540.

I have developers on my team which cost 15k$ A month to add few precious lines of codes to existing systems. Software development ain’t cheap.

With such a small potential market, I find it amazing what ForeFlight offers in terms of functionality. Moving map, adsb traffic and weather display, synthetic vision, up to date maps and airports, flight planning, etc. I can appreciate the effort that went into this.

And for my vfr flying, the price sure beats the database updates of Garmin 650/750 or Avidyne IFD440/540.

That may be, but when one looks at the pricing of the other products and do an apples to apples comparison, FF costs 40% more in most cases and the product is not 40% better.

Back