Should I buy a high wing or a low wing airplane?

Has anyone seen any birds flying around with their feet dangling straight down? If it doesn't have retractable gear, it isn't a proper airplane.

Or for that matter, has anyone ever seen a bird with struts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Even with ANR Bose's it was borderline deafening during takeoff...still couldn't get the smile off my face though. :)
You just had to go and make me jealous didn't you! :p That video looked pretty awesome with the tight formation flying. I have a good friend that does volunteer work at Triple Tree. They have a P51 up there and he was able to catch a ride one day when they were making a post maintenance flight. Maybe one day before I kick the bucket I'll get to fly in one.

If you're older and stiffening up, sumping a low-wing's tanks or tying it down becomes a pain.

Yup. And then trying to hoist myself up the structs to check fuel on Cessnas...where's that ladder...

Has anyone seen any birds flying around with their feet dangling straight down? If it doesn't have retractable gear, it isn't a proper airplane.

Uh yeah...

images

I had a CFI say "do birds sit on the their wings?"

I said "Do birds hold their wings straight out spin their whiskers for thrust?"

He gave me the win on that point.

Requirements and budget first of course but in very general terms....

High wing is better for photography, short field ops, soft field ops, and getting in/out of.

Low wing is better for cross country flying, handling crosswinds, handling turbulence, easier preflighting, looking cool, and impressing girls.
I'm genuinely curious why you would say that a high wing is better for short/soft field? Getting deeper into ground effect lets you slow down more before touchdown, make softer touchdowns, and hop up of the ground sooner taking off.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I don't trust seagulls...they are odd birds.

Often wearing bread masks, doing steroids, sniffing seal butt, and overall being rebellious. Rumor has it some are giants....and even breathe fire.

images

images

images

images

images

images

I had a CFI say "do birds sit on the their wings?"

I said "Do birds hold their wings straight out spin their whiskers for thrust?"

He gave me the win on that point.

C'mon, birds don't have whiskers! I think you threw him off with that.

Any GA airplane that needs to flap its wings for flight is gonna have some serious metal fatigue issues. And wing warping for directional control? That's so 1903. Ailerons FTW!

Back