So, What do you do IF.........

MBDiagMan

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Doc
......... you lose your logbooks?

I had a scare this afternoon. I flew about a week and a half ago, then the next day loaded up and DROVE to Galveston for Spring Break. Too many passengers and too much stuff to fly. Planning on flying tomorrow morning and was putting stuff in my flight bag. I did not see my logbook wallet!

I have backup copies of things like my tailwheel endorsement, complex endorsement, BFR and such. My pilots license is in the wallet and my medical is too.

I immediately drove to the airport and it was not in the front seat where I normally have it, after my heart began to struggle a beat again, I looked in the backseat, nothing, then in the baggage area, VOILA!!

So now that I am back home, I am thinking about the best approach to prevent such a situation from being a problem, and I will take care of that, but what if I HAD lost it all? Will the copies of the endorsements do? Can I easily get another copy of my cert card and medical? What about all my logged time I will need for my instrument and commercial, like cross country time, long cross country, simulated instrument time, night landings at control towered airports, etc.?

Glad the scare was a false alarm, but what could be done if you lost the t all?

If you lose it and you have no backup in place than, well...it’s gone.

Best thing to do is simply take a photo copy of each page as you complete them and store those somewhere safe, such as a .JPG on your computer or DropBox.

As I said, I will take care of the backups, most of it is backed up, but what alternatives are there if it were indeed gone?

Recreate as much of the old you can . Then start new ones. (put your time from memory to start the new one). Might be a problem if you are going to try and get a job using your logbooks as a reference.

Recreate as much of the old you can . Then start new ones. (put your time from memory to start the new one). Might be a problem if you are going to try and get a job using your logbooks as a reference.

That, plus pull time from your most recent 8710

But why on earth are you carrying your paper logs around with you in the first place? Unless you're a student pilot there is zero good reason to do that.

I'd also look into going digital and scan all your paper logs and back them up locally and in the cloud.

Your airplane? Can recreate some total time from aircraft and engine logs. ADS-B out? Can recreate recent times from Flight Aware.

I keep my medical and license on my person at all times. For my log book I use my flightbook.com ,on my I phone and I pad,then I transcribe the times to a hard copy ,log book.

I keep digital copies on my computer and a paper photo copies in my safe.

I do not understand why people lug their logbook or airplane logs with them at all times.
Mine stay in a fire safe at home. And I have 2 digital backups.

Make digital copies (as suggested) and keep your logbooks in a safe place!

Your last IACRA has your totals. Your flight school should also have some sort of records. I still do paper. I just scan each page, save it to my computer, then save it to an external hard drive as well.

My wallet has my pilot and medical certificate (originals) and my little tiny slip with my SFRA graduation certificate (probably overkill now). Everything else is sitting in the bookshelf in my office along with the aircraft logs.

Electronic logs for backup of logbooks.
Photo copies of everything.
I keep all my flying credentials in a case on a lanyard and I wear it around my neck when I dress to go flying. Otherwise it's in my headset bag.

Back