Engine monitor upgrades?

drotto

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
drotto
My plane already has an older SR-8A-6 That came with the plane and is likely 10 or more years old. It works fine but is located in a bad position on the panel, below the yoke by the pilots left knee. A friend suggested maybe upgrading the monitor to a new JPI like the 700, 730, or even the 830. Now switching companies would require replacing all the sensors already installed.

Now there is the CGR-30P which is the same manufacturer and looks like it uses the same probes which would cut down on install times and therefor costs. That unit is also advertised as a tso'ed replacement and a complete management system (JPI has the 900). This unit is the same ballpark price as the JPI 830.

So is it worth going with a full replacment given that the costs are not that far off? Does going with the CGR make more sense given the existing unit? As far as where it would go I would put it above the Garmin 650. Here is the panel.DSC_5108 (Medium).JPG

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Even though it is the same company and the same probes, you're gonna install whatever new probes come with the CGR as it IS a certified replacement unit. That being said, I installed the CGR-30P in my Lance and have been extremely happy with it. It's not going to fit that 2 inch hole as it is a 3 1/8 inch instrument. Otherwise, I can't say enough good things about it.

Even though it is the same company and the same probes, you're gonna install whatever new probes come with the CGR as it IS a certified replacement unit. That being said, I installed the CGR-30P in my Lance and have been extremely happy with it. It's not going to fit that 2 inch hole as it is a 3 1/8 inch instrument. Otherwise, I can't say enough good things about it.
It would be install above the 650 and the the right of the 750. I realize the ELT switch would need to be move. Is it a good idea to go with a full replacement as opposed to just an upgraded monitor. The price different is under 1000 for the unit.

I also know the GCP can be done as a two screen two whole option or they have the MVP-50. The price point on the GCP even with two units is still slightly cheaper than the one MVP. My panel has plenty of room, plus for IFR I think it would be much better and safer to have those old guadges in a better place. The original Saratoga panel really places them poorly.

It would be install above the 650 and the the right of the 750. I realize the ELT switch would need to be move. Is it a good idea to go with a full replacement as opposed to just an upgraded monitor. The price different is under 1000 for the unit.

If you go with an STC'd primary monitor the STC itself will spell out what must be installed for the instruments to be considered primary. Sorta sounds redundant but that's pretty much how it goes. I know that with the MVP-50 the STC says everything in the kit must be installed. Dunno what the GCP STC sez. The STC is prolly available on EI's website or give them a call. They are usually helpful folks.

Edit: EI is somewhat more flexible on STC'd primary monitor setups and only requires a certified mechanic's signature for the setup numbers. JPI is pretty much strictly by the book on the numbers. The difference is important if the engine/prop has been modified/replaced and has different numbers than originally specified.

What is the install time on this type of unit?

Our STCs are based on the airframe, not the engine. As such, there is certainly more flexibility in what is allowed with our systems. If you have modified the engine or prop via STC, we are legal to change whatever limits withing the STC'd flight manual supplement.
In regard to using existing probes and harnesses, we can build an adapter harness from the SR-8A to work with the CGR or MVP system. The cost to do so is an additional $100.00. However, for that additional charge, we will include new probes and SR-8A harness which will allow the SR-8A to be sold on the second hand market as a full system, helping recoup some of the CGR's or MVP's purchase price.

My plane already has an older SR-8A-6 That came with the plane and is likely 10 or more years old. It works fine but is located in a bad position on the panel, below the yoke by the pilots left knee. A friend suggested maybe upgrading the monitor to a new JPI like the 700, 730, or even the 830. Now switching companies would require replacing all the sensors already installed.

Now there is the CGR-30P which is the same manufacturer and looks like it uses the same probes which would cut down on install times and therefor costs. That unit is also advertised as a tso'ed replacement and a complete management system (JPI has the 900). This unit is the same ballpark price as the JPI 830.

So is it worth going with a full replacment given that the costs are not that far off? Does going with the CGR make more sense given the existing unit? As far as where it would go I would put it above the Garmin 650. Here is the panel.View attachment 60366

I would get the CGR-30P and replace the tach or add it to the space above the 650. Putting any of the JPI products above the 650 will be a nightmare since the entire engine probe harness is attached to the back of the instrument. EI uses a remote box and converts all engine probe data to digital and it is transmitted from that remote box to the instrument over two wires.

In addition to that, if you wanted to add a second screen like a CGR-30C later it would be pretty painless.

Pretty sure a guy could reuse the probes if desired, if they are the same part numbers, but how the harness is terminated in the cockpit will change, which would mean transferring all the wires from one connector to a different type connector, they aren't the same contacts either so the installer would have to cut the old contacts off the wires and crimp new ones on. Its probably more economic to remove the whole SR8A system and sell it with the old harness rather than hanging onto it. (You would need new probe wires run anyway for probes that the CGR-30P adds.)

Last edited:
Back