Garage bands: Anyone else like them?

Shepherd

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Shepherd
The garage music thread confused me. I thought it was about garage bands.
My dad was a part time jazz sax player. His band got together and played every Wednesday night in my basement when I was growing up. A lot of big name musicians turned up there. Garage bands are in my blood.
I really like going out to small venues and listening to local garage bands. I always have.
I'd rather go to a local club and listen to a mediocre garage band than go listen to most big name rock acts. There is always a vibrancy, an earnestness, about them that just brings the music alive.
When my youngest son decided to get a band started (they were very successful, btw.) I cleared out the garage so they could practice here. It made my wife crazy, but I loved it. All that energy was infectious, and watching and listening to the creative process as they wrote their own material was amazing. They decided, the first night, that they were not going to be a "cover band", and they wrote some pretty good songs, and over the 5 years they were together they developed quite a large local following.
As it so often happens, they all finished college, and the band broke up. The bass player became an accountant, the drummer is in Hollywood, trying to break into the script writing and film production business, the rhythm guitar player\lead singer is a Florida State Trooper, and my son, who plays an incredible lead guitar, the harmony singing parts and did all the recording and post production work in his home studio, is now an embedded systems designer for a big medical device company.
The bass player and my son still get together and play a few times a year, and as a side project my son writes and produces music for an NBC TV show in Boston. NBC Boston just signed the show for a second season. We're pretty proud of that.
When he comes home we always try to get out and listen to as many bands as we can.

Anyone else like garage bands?

Yep. Most big acts start out as garage bands also of course.

Its "open mic" now. Tons of people playing and singing. A lot of young people know how to compose their own songs and play them. Me, I play old rock, rythmn and blues, one country and one bluegrass. I sing. The singing is the thing. The guitar just accompanies me. So Im a good strummer. Know some cool leads. "Black Magic Woman". Bunch more. From "Johnny B Goode" to "Rock This Town" and "Stray Cat Strut". Rock and Roll FOREVER!

I thought the same thing at first.
Yeah I do like some garage bands. I've heard a few that I never want to hear again though.
We actually played in barns a lot around here, a few garages, a shed or two, and on a wagon in a field when called for.
Our band is one I never want to hear again lol. :rockon:

One of my favorite “garage bands” to listen to is Foo Fighters. Some may not consider them a garage band, but listening to their albums progress over the years from raw, grungy garage rock to present day is satisfying to me. Especially when they stayed true to their sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree wholeheartedly. Where I tended bar in college, we had garage bands play several nights a week. Most were pretty good, added a lot of energy to the place. The best one left after a couple years, the lead singer, Tom Petty, and his band the Heartbreakers stayed in music and did OK. I think they were better in the bar though.

Yep.

One of my college roommates played drums for local band. I've always liked being able to "feel" music the way you can in a small club or bar.

This is the band I'm in (Steam Circus Band) playing with a borrowed horn section...I'm the front man, singing and playing. I always wanted to play with a horn section and that particular song WANTS one...in the beginning I'm kinda "thrown" because I'm FINALLY hearing the horns that I had been missing....

Been playing in bands since I was 15 or so. Amateur always, but we get gigs here and there. We have more up on Youtube, and our home page on www.steamcircusband.com if anyone wants to check it out. Playing music ought to and can be just folk, playing music. Not an industry.

I always tell people I never made it above "semi-pro" in music.

This is the band I'm in (Steam Circus Band) playing with a borrowed horn section...I'm the front man, singing and playing. I always wanted to play with a horn section and that particular song WANTS one...in the beginning I'm kinda "thrown" because I'm FINALLY hearing the horns that I had been missing....

Been playing in bands since I was 15 or so. Amateur always, but we get gigs here and there. We have more up on Youtube, and our home page on www.steamcircusband.com if anyone wants to check it out. Playing music ought to and can be just folk, playing music. Not an industry.

Sounding great Bob! That's a hella brass section too!

My dad was a part time jazz sax player. His band got together and played every Wednesday night in my basement when I was growing up. A lot of big name musicians turned up there. Garage bands are in my blood.
I really like going out to small venues and listening to local garage bands. I always have.
I'd rather go to a local club and listen to a mediocre garage band than go listen to most big name rock acts. There is always a vibrancy, an earnestness, about them that just brings the music alive.
When my youngest son decided to get a band started (they were very successful, btw.) I cleared out the garage so they could practice here. It made my wife crazy, but I loved it. All that energy was infectious, and watching and listening to the creative process as they wrote their own material was amazing. They decided, the first night, that they were not going to be a "cover band", and they wrote some pretty good songs, and over the 5 years they were together they developed quite a large local following.
As it so often happens, they all finished college, and the band broke up. The bass player became an accountant, the drummer is in Hollywood, trying to break into the script writing and film production business, the rhythm guitar player\lead singer is a Florida State Trooper, and my son, who plays an incredible lead guitar, the harmony singing parts and did all the recording and post production work in his home studio, is now an embedded systems designer for a big medical device company.
The bass player and my son still get together and play a few times a year, and as a side project my son writes and produces music for an NBC TV show in Boston. NBC Boston just signed the show for a second season. We're pretty proud of that.
When he comes home we always try to get out and listen to as many bands as we can.

Anyone else like garage bands?

Yeah, when I first saw that thread I started thinking about garage bands rather than something to play music in the garage.

How about a few garage bands that made it to the radio?

The Troggs:

Can't forget the Kingsmen:

Second generation garage punk from the Ramones:

Third generation garage/grunge, all polished up in the studio by Nirvana:

Or, unpolished by Mudhoney:

Wow, Bob - I'm impressed! Very nice! Sounds like you listen to a lot of Joe Bonamassa.

I've played guitar or mixed sound for a variety of garage / church / bar / gospel / college bands ever since I was a kid. During college I spent summer and Christmas breaks mixing sound for bands at Disney World, then I co-owned an audio business for a few years. Lots of fantastic music in hidden little corners of the world and it's fun when you find it.

I've been away from it for a while and hope to get back to it soon. I played for a buddy's retirement party last year but haven't picked up the guitar since. Life got too busy.

Wow, Bob - I'm impressed! Very nice! Sounds like you listen to a lot of Joe Bonamassa.

I've played guitar or mixed sound for a variety of garage / church / bar / gospel / college bands ever since I was a kid. During college I spent summer and Christmas breaks mixing sound for bands at Disney World, then I co-owned an audio business for a few years. Lots of fantastic music in hidden little corners of the world and it's fun when you find it.

I've been away from it for a while and hope to get back to it soon. I played for a buddy's retirement party last year but haven't picked up the guitar since. Life got too busy.

Actually I haven't heard much Bonamassa...no particular reason, I like what I've heard.
Our band plays a good mix of solid blues (B.B. King, the other Kings (love Freddie too), Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson, Elmore James, etc) and also Allman Bros, and 70's Rock, Deep Purple, Stones, Hendrix, etc. and we mix lesser known stuff with songs folk recognize.

It's hard to get gigs here in Oslo but when we play pubs and clubs and there are younger folk, they seem to really get into it.

Years ago reading Woody Guthries bio "Bound for Glory" there is a part there in an itinerant camp where he describes two young teen girls with an acoustic guitar singing beautifully, and the effect on all those folks in hearing such soothing music. He lamented even then in the thirties that so many people discounted music that was made by neighbors and others, that many got the idea the only "real" music came from the radio.

Now it's even worse. But glad amateurs like my band, and others still try and make music and be heard. We slip in a few of our own songs also, like my song "Gadget", etc.

I love garage bands!

Last edited:
Albert King probably my favorite bluesman @LongRoadBob, but like the other two Kings also. Years ago I was flying an CRJ over Mississippi and my FO was from Italy. We were talking rock-n-roll and as we neared the Delta I pointed out to him that's where it all started. Love the Allmans too. The Birmingham AL area has quite a music scene, and good local bands. Now that it's beginning to warm up various outdoor music fests will be starting. Nothing like sipping a cold beer in your chair watching the local talent.

One of my favorite live music experiences was about a year and a half ago in Nashville.

We were walking down Broadway on Monday evening, planning to catch a band at any one of the many bars. We looked into the open door of one place, and the bouncer, who looked like a pro bull rider, said, "We got a good band tonight," so we went inside.

https://www.thesecondfiddle.com

The main guy sang, played guitar, and interacted with the small crowd (it was still pretty early on a Monday). His band looked like a group of older studio musicians he got to back him. He played a lot of original stuff, and a few covers of some classics. Then he took a break, but the band kept playing. He went to every table in the bar, talked with everyone while making sure to keep the tip jar handy, and wrote requests on a napkin. Then he went back up on stage, showed the list to the other guys, they had a short dicussion about keys and timing, then nailed.every.song. He pulled up lyrics on an iPad, but as far as the music itself, those guys just played.

That was one the most impressive things I have ever seen. We never did go to any other place that night.

Nashville is amazing. Just about any hotel bar will have a good band playing. So much talent there in hopes of getting a record deal.

Nashville is amazing. Just about any hotel bar will have a good band playing. So much talent there in hopes of getting a record deal.
There are no more record deals.

I'm always a bit curious when I hear the term "garage band". Don't most bands start out in garages, basements, barns, etc.?

No cover charges, either. They play for tips, and if they aren't any good they don't last long.

The weather was nice enough that all the windows and doors were open at all the bars, so the whole street was full of music. We stopped into a few during the day, then ate dinner at a BBQ joint and spent the rest of the night in the Second Fiddle.

I'm always a bit curious when I hear the term "garage band". Don't most bands start out in garages, basements, barns, etc.?

Yeah...virtually all do in one way or another. We have to rent rehearsal space, no neighbors to bug. Between maintenance, strings, tubes, rehearsal space, and with the low pay at most gigs we live in the red. You have to love it :)

There is a show on Netflix.... Hired Guns...

Some great Garage Band stuff.

There is a show on Netflix.... Hired Guns...

Some great Garage Band stuff.

Saw that. Some of those guys got really screwed.

Watched one last night on Netflix, Chicago, history of the band. Very good.

I think Tom Petty’s Full Moon Fever will always be the best garage music ever recorded. The entire album was recorded in Mike Campbell’s garage. And when the went to mix it, they took tapes to a radio station and listened to them from the parking lot, then went back to adjust the mix based on how it sounded in the car.

What a great freakin’ album...

I think Tom Petty’s Full Moon Fever will always be the best garage music ever recorded. The entire album was recorded in Mike Campbell’s garage. And when the went to mix it, they took tapes to a radio station and listened to them from the parking lot, then went back to adjust the mix based on how it sounded in the car.

What a great freakin’ album...

Yep. Miss TP already.

We could jam in Joe's garage-

https%3A%2F%2Fimages.genius.com%2Fee7eb26ef549ff414e325c1593aa8238.900x900x1.jpg

Back