Who uses DUATS?

AKBill

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AKBill
Just wondering who uses DUATS.. It's been some time since I used DUATS. So long my old user access was no longer good. Registered this morning and got a standard weather briefing and filed a flight plan for a local flight. Printed out the briefing for fun.

Lots of good information.

Haven't for a while now, but I liked it best for a quick expected route and nav log. You didn't have to fill out the whole flight plan form, yada yada.

I have used DUATs since it was first unveiled in the 90's, when you had a choice of three vendors. Only one remains, but the service keeps getting better.
Jon

Haven’t used it lately,was my go to ,when I used RNAV. Now with Gps and air nav I usually do my own flight planning.

Haven’t used it lately,was my go to ,when I used RNAV. Now with Gps and air nav I usually do my own flight planning.
Like I said it's been sometime since I used it. I do think I'll use it more often from the information I received today.

I do. Although it is not as pretty as 1-800 wx or whatever it is It works and is simple.

I can't remember, I normally use foreflight and fltplan for filing and official weather, think somewhere in foreflight it asked for my duats username and password for VFR flight plans though.

Sure do, it's how I file IFR. Quick and easy, plus it spits out the winded plan with the filing so twofer. Also use it for work when off-station.

think somewhere in foreflight it asked for my duats username and password for VFR flight plans though.
I am VFR only look out the window, check current conditions and go from there. No IFR (I Follow Roads) here cause there are no roads to follow..:) Now if I had a float plane I could file IFR (I Follow Roads) because the marine highway is everywhere you fly...:)

Last edited:
Just wondering who uses DUATS.. It's been some time since I used DUATS. So long my old user access was no longer good. Registered this morning and got a standard weather briefing and filed a flight plan for a local flight. Printed out the briefing for fun.

Lots of good information.
Unless I'm filing on the go with my IPAD, I use DUATs before most of my flight. Been a user since '91. Log In...first sceens you see are weather depiction, national and regional radar, surface charts and Satellite. That's a wealth of visual information before you even get a briefing. The briefings can be long, but you can parse the material as needed and skip all that SFRA crap that's been there since 2001...even f you're going that way if you're filing IFR.

I am VFR only look out the window, check current conditions and go from there. No IFR (I Follow Roads) here cause there are no roads to follow..:) Now if I had a float plane I could file IFR (I Follow Roads) because the marine highway is everywhere you fly...:)

For the limited time I was in AK, it seemed with all the beaches, sand bars, etc that maybe tundra tires would be more utilitarian choice.

Up in the north east we don't have any beaches like you do in AK, and our trees often go right up to the shore line, amphibs up here I've found open the most doors.

I use it occasionally, and it's the way Foreflight gets the weather, I believe.

For the limited time I was in AK, it seemed with all the beaches, sand bars, etc that maybe tundra tires would be more utilitarian choice.

Up in the north east we don't have any beaches like you do in AK, and our trees often go right up to the shore line, amphibs up here I've found open the most doors.
Most of the beaches here have boulders the size of a VW.. SE is hit and miss as far a beach landings, it can be done but it better be low tide..:)

I file and plan with it...the Duats interface really is a fantastic tool.

I have an account, but I prefer the 1800wxbrief.com site; especially since I now got it all configured and tailored made for me.

I used to use it a lot. Hadn't looked at it for a while. I actually found my user access code and password and it even worked. I did take my Kotzebue address off and added my current address.

I use DUATS almost every time I fly a cross country trip (VFR). 50% of the time FSS cannot find it when I call up. I end up filing again over the radio.

Back