They let us land on a frozen lake

Looks like a lot of fun, except for all of that long time bitterly cold needed to get the lake to freeze. And Spring in June. Yeah Maybe fly up for a weekend, buzz the lake, fly back to semi-warmth. Does the unrelenting bitter cold kill the mosquitos? Seriously, It does look like fun.

Nice. I've been waiting for the lakes to freeze enough around here to feel comfortable landing on them. We've had some really cold weather so I think they'd be ok, but then the temperature swings the other way for a few days which leaves me a bit uncertain. Maybe mid to late February will be better.

Nice flying, cool vid, what is the chill music?

Second to third week in February is usually the time to head to Alton Bay, NY (B18) in New Hampshire, This year may be different!

-Skip

When the lakes freeze in this area, we land on them.
That being said, this is the third year they haven't frozen hard enough.
And no snow for skis.

Second to third week in February is usually the time to head to Alton Bay, NY (B18) in New Hampshire, This year may be different!

-Skip
IIRC, Alton Bay is the only legal ice runway in the lower 48.
Yes it’s been too warm this winter.

Alton Bay is hoping that after this weekend they will be able to open. they have enough ice now, but we had freezing rain and slush that coated the top, and snowmobilers ran up and down the runway just before it froze, creating big ruts and a rough surface. it should melt down a bit this weekend and smooth out.

Does the unrelenting bitter cold kill the mosquitos? Seriously, It does look like fun.
It kills the little, weak mosquitoes. The ones that survive are humongous and will eat you alive.

IIRC, Alton Bay is the only legal ice runway in the lower 48.
Yes it’s been too warm this winter.
It's the only charted ice runway. Any lake can legally be a runway if you want it to :)

Nice flying, cool vid, what is the chill music?

Felt like the right video for a chill track...

It kills the little, weak mosquitoes. The ones that survive are humongous and will eat you alive.

Yup. And their puffy winter coats allow them to just bounce off the windshield when you hit them. It's not very satisfying at all.

It's the only charted ice runway. Any lake can legally be a runway if you want it to :)

Pretty much. Make sure your insurance doesn't have off-airport exclusions, then go have some fun!

planecrash3.jpg.f5690271.jpg

Not a good surface to land on....

Wisconsin has a tradition of going bar hopping in snowmobiles during the winter. We decided to try it in planes instead.

#iphoneonly

if you can cross your eyes, here is a 3d side by side made from your video:
upload_2018-1-27_12-50-54.png

Let us?

I never asked for permission.

But fun stuff for sure! Trying, yet again lol, to make it out to Alton bay this season.

Let us?

I never asked for permission.

But fun stuff for sure! Trying, yet again lol, to make it out to Alton bay this season.
Ditto... though I have some avionics work that needs getting done and depending on how long it takes, I may end up missing the window yet again...

Ditto... though I have some avionics work that needs getting done and depending on how long it takes, I may end up missing the window yet again...

Between work and waiting on my APIA to get back from vacation for my annual I'm in the same boat. I'm just reluctant to let another APIA mess with my plane, kinda having a known good dude and a known good plane and tossing a variable into the mix

Alton bay can be a handful on take off ,with smooth ice and a strong crosswind.

Back