Am I a tightwad, or thrifty and resourceful?

RJM62

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geek on the Hill
My lady friend found this simultaneously amusing and distressing. She says I am cheap. I prefer "thrifty and resourceful."

I'm an aficionado of cheap sneakers for everyday use. They're comfortable. In addition, if I mess them up somehow (by steping in dripped oil or gas at the airport, for example), they're cheap enough that I can either throw them out or make them my next pair of "beach sneakers."

So earlier this year, I bought a few pairs of el-cheapos when they were on sale. But when I finally tried them on a few weeks ago, much to my dismay, one of them emitted a horrible squeak every time I set my weight on the heel. The squeak is hard to describe, but it sounded like a cross between a goose taking off and a cockatiel with an empty seed tray. It was a soulful (sole-full?) screech punctuated by a guttural hissing. It turned the heads of all who heard it, made dogs bark angrily, and sent young children running away in fear.

I'd purchased the sneakers too long ago to return them, and they certainly weren't worth bringing to the shoemaker; so I walked around with them for a couple of days trying to "work them out." No joy, though; the squeak only seemed to get worse.

An ordinary (or perhaps normal?) man probably would have tossed them in the trash at that point, but not me. I wrestled with the problem in my head for a week or two, and then looked closely at the shoes. I carefully palpated both the heel and the insole above it until it cried in pain, at which time I determined that the problem had something to do with the air-filled chambers in the heel (presumably intended for shock absorption).

I speculated that there might be a leak in the chamber somewhere (hence the hissing), and I wondered if filling it with the foam I use to seal around wires when I run them through exterior walls might solve the problem. So I drilled a hole through the back of the shoe and injected the heel full of polyurethane foam. It filled the chamber and started oozing out the sides.

shoe.jpg

I let the foam cure for a while, then put the sneakers on and took them for a test walk. I stopped at the cell phone store (they're one of my clients) to say hello, then at the liquor store to thank Charlie the wineseller for an excellent Thanksgiving wine recommendation, and then at the grocery store to pick up some salad and green tea. The surgery was successful! Not a squeak was uttered!

So, am I a tightwad, or am I thrifty and resourceful?

Rich

Resourceful for sure. No sense throwing away a perfectly good pair of sneaks when with a little thought all can be made right. Better do the other one to match though. You might find yourself a little out of trim and pulling to one side.

Better do the other one to match though. You might find yourself a little out of trim and pulling to one side.

Excellent suggestion! Thank you.

I think I should file a 337, as well...

Richard

Since you didn't build the sneakers yourself are you authorized to make that kind of modification? This is a little more involved than just changing laces.

:rofl:

Reading the first couple paragraph, I was thinking there's simply a void of air escaping and refilling. So, seal it or fill it. Do you notice a difference between the left and right?

I've bought cheap shoes but end up paying for it. So, given I've spent as much time walking as I do driving, I went ahead and shelled out $60-75 for a decent pair of walking shoes. My biggest issue is finding such shoes that look decent in a business environment. Their all made for kids with every color but plain white. This last time, I went for white Rockport walking shoes since I have Rockport dress shoes that have lasted for years.

Actually, I did notice a difference between the left and right; and yes, I have gone ahead and filled the right chamber with foam. :p

I have the kind of job that for the most part, no one cares what I wear. The tech support part is becoming less and less of the job, and the Web design and remote administration becoming more and more. I, too, have a pair of Rockports I use for the rare business meeting - wedding - wake - funeral when sneakers just won't do. I also have a pair of trusty navy-style boondockers and a pair of insulated Wolverines for activities and weather that warrant such shodding.

Rich

Last edited:
Heck, I have even preached in sneakers... but then again, neckties are banned in my church, and leather shoes are considered over-dressing.

Rich

My vote is thrifty and resourceful. Why toss a pair of shoes that you can render useable? But, then, my father-in-law owned and operated a couple shoe repair shops when my wife and I were first married and I learned a few of the skills of the trade. Haven't put new heels on a pair of shoes in decades, but I'll bet I could with the proper equipment if I had to.

Aha! This threat provides the anwer to my question of what happened to Yankee Ingenuity. It's been relabled as being a Tightwad.

Tell your lady friend she has drunk the kool-aid of rampant consumerism.

Rich,

Yes. ;) That is, you're a thrifty, resourceful tightwad. :D

I sure hate to waste money too, though. I rebuilt the button on my jeans this morning. :redface:

I must be in that "thrifty" class too. Sneakers get rotated from the 'new' casual dress Nike air to the flying pair, house chores weekend pair, yard work-junk pair. So let's review, one pair makes it through the 4 rotations before it's time to trash em.

Someday, well maybe someday, I will understand why the Bride needs so many pairs of shoes and I have sneaks, dress brown, dress black, s**t kickers, and casulas for work.

Last edited:
Some of our best inventions were built by ingenious tightwads. Myself, I'd probably have tossed them into the back of my closet since I'm not creative enough to fix them.
Tightwad definitely.

I would go with thrifty and resourceful on this one. No reason to waste money on sneakers that otherwise fit your needs. Personally, I have a pair of cheap sneakers that I like just fine. I also have a pair of $100 Timberlands that I wear to work every day. Since my job requires steel-toe boots and also requires walking around a lot, it makes my back happier. That is worth the money to me.

When you become cheap/tightwad I think is when your repair could potentially endanger your life or someone else's life. Example: Your oil filter housing on your plane sprung a leak, so you file down a piece of wood, shove it in the offending hole, and keep it in place with some duct tape. That would be cheap. :)

Example: Your oil filter housing on your plane sprung a leak, so you file down a piece of wood, shove it in the offending hole, and keep it in place with some duct tape. That would be cheap. :)
Man, that was stock car racing before there was some sanctioning body to write a rule for everything! :)

When asked what she would remember most about America when she returned home, a foreign exchange student who had lived here six months answered, "The waste."

I share your distain for buying tennis shoes, especially expensive ones.

Thrifty and resourceful for sure.

It makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside when you fix something like that doesn't it? :)

I think you did good. Good for you! :yes: I'm on the verge of doing the same thing, or something very similar, to mine for the same reason. I stepped on a sharp pointy a few weeks ago and it got a flat.

Tell your lady friend she has drunk the kool-aid of rampant consumerism.

+1
She's been sucked fully into the throw away society lifestyle. Ignore her. She probably throws her car away and buys a new one when it runs out of gas.

You're definitely not alone... This summer everyone thought I was screaming nutters for making my own RV skirting out of cheap tarp stuff instead of buying it from the local guy. $45 vs $1200 and it keeps me just as warm.

<--- cheapo tighwad fruitcake designer pennytech solution creator extradorinare

I rebuilt the button on my jeans this morning. :redface:
I've sewn a lot of buttons back on clothing, but rebuilding one? 'Fraid I don't have the patience for that. I think I'll pay the 25 cents for a new button. :dunno: :D

I was kind of wondering how, exactly, one rebuilds a button.... That might make for an enlightening post -- even for a thrifty, resourceful tightwad like me.

Rich

I was kind of wondering how, exactly, one rebuilds a button.... That might make for an enlightening post -- even for a thrifty, resourceful tightwad like me.

Rich

I've had to do that with a shirt collar button before. They always seem to break when you're on the road about to give a presentation. Super glue.

That's a great idea! If I had that kind of stuff it would save me a LOT of money in duct tape.

I've had to do that with a shirt collar button before. They always seem to break when you're on the road about to give a presentation. Super glue.

Naah, this is the metal button on a pair of jeans where they used to put the snap back in the day. It's made of a couple of pieces of metal, and they were coming apart. (never mind why. :redface:) This was a 100% manly clothing repair: Hammer and pliers, not needle and thread. ;)

Naah, this is the metal button on a pair of jeans where they used to put the snap back in the day. It's made of a couple of pieces of metal, and they were coming apart. (never mind why. :redface:) This was a 100% manly clothing repair: Hammer and pliers, not needle and thread. ;)

What? no arc welder?

Rich

Definitely thrifty and resourceful. I fix most everything that breaks around here. I just can't stomach throwing money away on a new item when the "broken" one can be repaired.
I keep an older weed eater together just for the woods. One day the shear pin broke allowing the brush cutter and head to turn simultaneously. I brought it back to the barn and was working with bailing wire and JB weld when the wife came out and stated I should just go buy a new one. Nah, this one can be repaired just fine thank you.:yes: That was about 3 years ago and it still works as designed, even if it isn't held together as designed.

I spent an afternoon last week fixing our dining room clock. Its likely worth about $7 - from Target - you know, the one with that ubiquitous square plastic box containing the workings, but dang it!
Well not the whole afternoon. But I do hate throwing stuff away when it might have,...um 30 days of service life left! So you are probably in good company here.

I spent an afternoon last week fixing our dining room clock. Its likely worth about $7 - from Target - you know, the one with that ubiquitous square plastic box containing the workings, but dang it!
Well not the whole afternoon. But I do hate throwing stuff away when it might have,...um 30 days of service life left! So you are probably in good company here.

Don't feel bad. I spent about four hours of what could have been billable time trying to dx the fault in a 20-year-old microwave that that was only heating up one side of the food.

Boy, did I feel dumb when I found out a new, bigger, more powerful microwave only costs fifty bucks at Home Depot...

Rich

Don't feel bad. I spent about four hours of what could have been billable time trying to dx the fault in a 20-year-old microwave that that was only heating up one side of the food.

Boy, did I feel dumb when I found out a new, bigger, more powerful microwave only costs fifty bucks at Home Depot...

Rich
Here's one for ya. When I needed to buy a microwave after I moved, I found there were no portables as large or capable as the buit-in versions. So, I bought a built in version. I simply lay a towel over the top where it's raw metal. It works beatifully!

I like to think of myself as thrifty!
No expensive sneakers here.

But, I used to work with a women that was sooo cheap I firmly believe it was an illness.
She used to work in my office, and we use a lot of adding machines with calculator tape. She would never tear her tape - she would roll it and use the backside to get twice the life.

I never could get that thrifty.

20-year-old microwave that that was only heating up one side of the food.

Hey can I have that microwave? I figure I will just turn the food around when it's half done.

:rofl::rofl:

I bet we could have a fun with a Cheap Boss thread!
You know, "I worked for a guy who was so cheap.........."

You are 'thrifty and resourceful" fer shure! :D

As other threads point out though, sometimes it costs more to be "thrifty".

I would have just kept the shoes as is to draw attention to myself.

Or when nuc l'year winter comes
I just thought of something thanks to you post.

If we start to get too hot from Global warming we can set off a few nukes. The nuclear winter to offset the global warming and we end up with a nice protracted spring.

Should work :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Back