Prop on the camshaft

brien23

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Brien
Was it Continental or Lycoming that had the Terra engine that had the propeller flange on the camshaft?

ive never heard of that, anyone have any more info? sounds fascinating.

TCM, Continental built this engine. For some reason the manufacturers didn't want to make a lot of airframe changes for such little return. My only experience was on a Pawnee brave.

Wasn't there a British twin that ran those... a Beagle or something like that...

The Beagle I worked on had TCM GTSIO520 H engines. The same as the Cessna 411. I really dont what other engines they used.

Kevin

come to think of it the GTSIO's do have the prop off the cam dont they? jeez i shoulda known that i have like 70 hours in 421s...

Tiara engine

tiara8.jpg

This engine was supposed to be both cheaper to manufacture as well as cheaper to operate than existing engines. It incorporated several innovative features such as a combined camshaft and propeller drive, torsional vibration control via a quill shaft, and fuel injection. Because of the reduction gear, propeller noise was low and propulsive efficiency was high. The engine was certified and went into production but buyers were few and far between. Operationally, the engine wasn't significantly different from others (it was supposed to be slightly lighter but that didn't pan out) and no one cared about noise in the 1970s.

http://www.prime-mover.org/Engines/GArticles/article2.html

What might have been the future of the piston aircraft engine. Pushrods above the cylinders and a belt driven alternator at the front. Also note the eight cylinder Bendix dual magneto at the back. The only Continentals to use the Bendix dual mags were the Tiara line. Spur geared with a quill shaft to control torsional vibration. Port fuel injection. Circa 1970.

Tiara engine
torsional vibration control via a quill shaft,

Spur geared with a quill shaft to control torsional vibration. Port fuel injection. Circa 1970.

I'm curious how the torsional vibration is damped by the quill shaft, and the efficiency of that method, anybody know?

Back