PA28 down near SEE, San Diego

Says it lost power and then 'just fell out of the sky.'

They walked away with minor injuries, so that's all that matters.

'just fell out of the sky.'
I was surprised by that... while certainly not a great glider I would think at best glide they had *some* options.. the radar track in the link I posted suggested they were tooling around in the practice area than lost power somewhere on the downwind. I recognize that hill in the photo. If they were past the threshold and low I am not sure they could have glided back either.. so putting it down on that road seems like it was the smart move

They walked away with minor injuries, so that's all that matters.
exactly, at least here we still have a fairly vibrant aviation community, our last crash had some fatalities so glad this one didn't!

F-4s fall out of the sky (have seen it) while Cherokees should glide.
in the realm of GA planes I have experience with I would put Skyhawks as the best gliders, Cherokees after that, and then Cirrus way after that. With the power out those things really come down fast

Luckily the door was on top:
upload_2017-9-18_10-34-6.png

If they were on the other side is there any other exit? Baggage door maybe?

Looks like a tapered wing (Warrior maybe?) to me - should glide just fine. Certainly a lot better than the hershey bar models.

Yeah, the one door thing really bothers me exactly for that reason. I always flew with a hammer. The PA28 models I flew all had baggage door on same side as cabin door

I was surprised by that... while certainly not a great glider I would think at best glide they had *some* options.. the radar track in the link I posted suggested they were tooling around in the practice area than lost power somewhere on the downwind. I recognize that hill in the photo. If they were past the threshold and low I am not sure they could have glided back either.. so putting it down on that road seems like it was the smart move....
Yeah. The ol' power off 180 is a different animal in right traffic to 27 at SEE. If he lost the engine beyond abeam the numbers while doing the usual extending downwind a bit to go around the hill he would have been committed to "picking a spot." So far it looks like he did a good job once getting into that situation. It is easy enough to stay in gliding distance to the runway though unless extending pretty far out. No persons or property on the ground hurt. Time will tell what led up to the engine failure.

Last edited:
The ol' power off 180 is a different animal in right traffic to 27 at SEE.
Yeah, I personally hate right traffic at SEE, I opt for 27L whenever possible so I can shoot left traffic

Time will tell what led up to the engine failure.
I'll be very curious about that. Those Lycomings are pretty solid, so I'm wondering if it was pilot error or mechanical

Yeah, I personally hate right traffic at SEE, I opt for 27L whenever possible so I can shoot left traffic

I'll be very curious about that. Those Lycomings are pretty solid, so I'm wondering if it was pilot error or mechanical
What was the Wx then? Moist?

Didn't seem out of the norm but we were out in Descanso. I will say that carb heat methodology is much different in PA28 vs C172..

Cherokees have really crappy glide, they come down like bricks. When I was flying mine I always knew right where I was going to land in an emergency. All I had to do was look down.
I fly taper wing models and the book suggests similar glide performance to Skyhawks.. but in practice I agree, I find they're easier to get down in a hurry. Pull the power and you can ride that elevator straight down. Oddly enough they feel faster in cruise.

Anyone got a tail number on it? Looks like a Warrior I used to rent from National Air College at MYF.

Cherokees have really crappy glide, they come down like bricks. When I was flying mine I always knew right where I was going to land in an emergency. All I had to do was look down.
???

Are we talking Arrows or fixed gear PA28s?

I've never noticed a problem in any of the PA28s 160-180s I've flown. Tapered or Hershey bar. They glide just fine.

???

Are we talking Arrows or fixed gear PA28s?

I've never noticed a problem in any of the PA28s 160-180s I've flown. Tapered or Hershey bar. They glide just fine.
Please do not inject facts or personal experience into a POA fallacy. Thank you.

PA28s glide just fine. Just need to maintain best glide. (Usually trim full up.)

It didn't fall out of the sky, it was gliding. The local news tonight showed a video of it. Here's a link.

LINK

You're not kidding....when foreflight came out with their glide advisor, I was excited to try it in my Cherokee...problem is, when you are under 5000 feet, the glide circle is so small, that you can hardly see it on the foreflight map!

Luckily the door was on top:
View attachment 56444

Almost impossible to get to the baggage door from the front, almost impossible to open the baggage door from the inside. I keep D-cell Maglite, which turns the left front window into a somewhat useable exit.

You're not kidding....when foreflight came out with their glide advisor, I was excited to try it in my Cherokee...problem is, when you are under 5000 feet, the glide circle is so small, that you can hardly see it on the foreflight map!

Just curious what did you set your glide ratio to in ForeFlight?

If 9.5 to 1 is gliding like a brick, then a helo (3 to 1) would be gliding like an anvil! 9.5 to 1 is like a sailplane ratio in my world. :D

It's pretty much the same as the PA-28. The 172's best glide is slower so it seems like the ratio is better but it really isn't.

Yea that is interesting!

BE3012D3-972E-4FDF-AD02-F99853360F21.jpeg
in the realm of GA planes I have experience with I would put Skyhawks as the best gliders, Cherokees after that, and then Cirrus way after that. With the power out those things really come down fast

SR22 best glide ratio is 9.6:1 so it’s actually about the same. With the fat chord composite prop that acts like an air brake it is reduced however. Were you flying a turbo by chance?
By the way where in San Diego do you fly from? I just moved here and based at MYF

Back