TN. to WA. epmty GA. ramps.

Free as in not occupied, not free as in $$$ free.
Waitlist because these unoccupied spaces are never officially "cleared", even though no-one has used them in years. The airport admin simply cannot be arsed to go check out what the status of them is.
Maybe they're being paid for?

But still, OP's desire to dwell on the topic is rather peculiar.
The OP has a bad habit of throwing out his observations and opinions on the immenance of GA's demise in these threads every couple of months and then stays out of the multiple pages of replies discussing how far off he is. Definitely a peculiar obsession.

We should start a group: Pilots Against Fencing. I'm only half-joking, because I totally agree. There is no reason for small GA airports to have this style of security. Those fences do their job, which isn't necessarily to 100% prevent access, but to be visually off-putting to discourage attempts at illicit access. Problem is, those fences also discourage LEGAL access. They discourage drop-bys and whoa-was-that-an-airport-lets-turn-around-and-go-looks and little kids getting to see airplanes up close, etc, etc.

I fly out of FRG (decidedly NOT a small GA airport, but still...), which at times feels like a federal prison. The place is simultaneously super busy and completely lifeless and sterile. The terminal is a half-abandoned dump. The flight schools are scattered around the perimeter of the field, and all the jet and charter operations are building their own brand-new, gorgeous facilities around the edge of the field also. It feels very every-man-for-himself.

I don't know the answer but I just got my license and part of me feels like I've spent a lot of money to enter a dying field. Hopefully I'll find some of those hopping fields soon and actually MEET someone in aviation, which hasn't really happened in all the 70 hours of my training.

I'm at FRG and you hit the nail on the head.

I will take it if your giving it away. So give it up or stop saying this. :) I will even come get it you don't have to deliver it.

I do it one better, I will pay twice what DFH65 is paying you. :)

Back