Which plane can carry a road bike best?

Old97

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Old97
Im planning on riding in the hotter n hell hundred in wichita falls on 26 August.

I am checked out in my club's PA-28-180, 7ECA and i could get checked out in the 152 and 150 pretty easily by then ( i think).

Any tips as to which plane will be easiest to fit my cannondale in the back?

Unfortunately the club skyhawk is down from a prop strike. Driving is plan B but id rather fly (from houston). Its just me and the bike, no pax

Of those 3, I would say the Citabria.

I managed to fit my bike with both wheels off through the baggage door of our Archer. Fit nicely in the baggage area. YMMV

'79, but I imagine your Cherokee 180 still has that sizable baggage door.

I would think the ECA would be best too but you will have to remove the door and back seat. The Cessna may work with the passenger seat off but I think the door will have to come off too.

I would think the ECA would be best too but you will have to remove the door and back seat. The Cessna may work with the passenger seat off but I think the door will have to come off too.
This is what I was thinking too. Should be plenty of room in the back of a Citabria.

Any high wing....
plane%20in%20air_0.jpg

Some years of Archers have easily removable rear seats. You push a little button and they slide forward and out. I remember renting one once and with the seats out is was pretty easy with the front wheel removed. I don't know which years that was but it's easy to tell by looking at them.

I frequently carried a Raleigh International in the back of a 7ECA. Remove the front & back wheels and it goes right in the back. I don't remember having to remove the door, but it is so easy to remove the door I could have forgotten that step. Mine was a 1964 and as I recall it had a folding seat back which made it simple to get the bike in and out. Ample structure to secure the bike but you want to be clear of the rudder cables.
Have a great ride.

I've done it in a 152, which has the advantage that the seat backs fold down flat. Haven't tried it in a 150.

I've done it in a 172 but never in anything smaller. I can't imagine it will be easy to load into anything with only one door. Even in my Cardinal, I sometimes have to maneuver the bike into place from both sides.

Since the ride called "Hotter n Hell" I think you are going to want the Cherokee 180 (with or without rear seats)

You'll be getting into some high DA and the extra power will come in handy.

I've ridden the HHH a couple of times. Great time and yes, it is Hotter than Hell. One year the air temp was 109. No bueno.

You clearly need to buy a Maule. This picture is me getting ready for an airplane camping trip. The backseat is out (it removes in 90 seconds with fast pins) and the cavernous cargo doors are open. Bikes are EASY to get in here too.
4K58LuU.jpg

Some years of Archers have easily removable rear seats. You push a little button and they slide forward and out. I remember renting one once and with the seats out is was pretty easy with the front wheel removed. I don't know which years that was but it's easy to tell by looking at them.

My 78 has those. I think the challenge would be actually getting a full size bike through the doors, I think you could probably pull it off going through the front but it would probably be... interesting.

If you have access to all the planes before the day you need to fly, why not just bring your bike down there one day and try them all to see which one fits best?

Back