I want (airplane drool thread)

Ditto. Been watching the videos and they're making progress. But not sure how this is EVER going to sell for $130K. But still watching with interest...

The price is not the most attractive part. With those specs, people will be willing to buy it at 10 times that amount (if certified). Heck it beats even an SF50 on almost everything.

I hope they don't focus so much on the price that they forgo the specs.

The price is not the most attractive part. With those specs, people will be willing to buy it at 10 times that amount (if certified). Heck it beats even an SF50 on almost everything.

I hope they don't focus so much on the price that they forgo the specs.

Problem is, they're approaching 900 deposits. Even if half of those people drop, if you put a deposit in today, I think it would be at least 15 years til you take ownership.

Velocity had a flying prototype in 8 months and was cranking out kits within a year. This thing, while it is more complex, has taken 5 years and it still isn't flying. Like both the GA and military, takes forever to bring something to market today.

NOT without the gun though....

images

If it burns 40gph, does it really matter if you're cruising at 380kts?

Although I used to think they were very ugly, I have a soft spot for a Diamond DA40. Very practical, modern, superb visibility (one of the best in the business), and great access for front seat and back seat.

A flight school near me used to have one for rental, but unfortunately they have since sold all their planes :(

The maintenance on that is going to be way higher than an airplane.

N31TT turns my crank. I don't know why. But I really like it.

aecea918bfbc77b6f98345aa121ee0d2.jpg

He said 7,000fpm

Not only 7000 fpm, but he's does that at 280 kts. That's the really insane part about it.
Marty Abbott's Legend can climb as fast initially, but only at ~180 kts according to one of the fellows that built it, who dropped by my hangar this afternoon.

He said he is building a new Legend for another client to see if they can close that gap.

Problem is, they're approaching 900 deposits. Even if half of those people drop, if you put a deposit in today, I think it would be at least 15 years til you take ownership.

That's the key point: how quickly can they turn out the kits. In the golden era of Velocity in the 90s they were doing 60 kits a year. That's not an apples to apples comparison obviously but even if they double that rate you are talking almost a decade.

The maintenance on that is going to be way higher than an airplane.

N31TT turns my crank. I don't know why. But I really like it.

aecea918bfbc77b6f98345aa121ee0d2.jpg

Very cool plane. I actually sat in it, missed the A* convention when I could have had a demo ride. I miss my A*.

Tim

That's the key point: how quickly can they turn out the kits. In the golden era of Velocity in the 90s they were doing 60 kits a year. That's not an apples to apples comparison obviously but even if they double that rate you are talking almost a decade.

I don't even think they'll come close to 60. This is a far more detailed kit than the Velocity and from what I've seen, they have smaller facilities and workforce than the heyday of Velocity. Unless they really expand their operation, I can't see any more than 30-40 annually.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the aircraft. I just don't see them meeting the cost / performance goals and with 5 years in with no flying example, these things aren't going to be "flying out the door."

I believe they are over 1000 deposits at this point. IIRC, the goal was to have 1000 deposits to be able to help negotiate prices on items. I would like to see a flying prototype this year yet.

I've always really, really loved the look of Epic's aircraft. Sleek, sexy, fast... hubba hubba.

img_0007_1.jpg

Of course, an Epic is wildly out of my budget, so, really, basically ANY airworthy airplane is my dream plane, but I would gladly settle for one of these beauties...
995f5190871c79f0fbefb355de92c74c.jpg

Edited to add: a Spartan Executive is ALSO wildly out of my budget, now that I think about it. *sigh* I need to find a 1/4 share of a 172 at KCPS...

I've always wanted a twin. Mainly C-310 or Baron. Why I have no idea. But I still do.

An F-16 Viper. I will never own one but hopefully the Air Force will be kind enough to pay me to fly it.

Also An A-10 Warthog would be nice too.

@Omalley1537 that plane is based at a fly-in several of my good friends live at, I frequently see it when visiting them, got a pic sitting in it once! Beautiful bird

@Clark1961 you have excellent taste, best thing in this thread so far

I happen to think the SF50 is ugly, BUT I want it anyway. It's ugly and unique looking, and a jet with one engine sign me up.

Still prefer a TBM930 over just about anything in that size range

Ditto on the TBM. There is one hangared with me, and I drool every time I see it. Really nice

I don't even think they'll come close to 60. This is a far more detailed kit than the Velocity and from what I've seen, they have smaller facilities and workforce than the heyday of Velocity. Unless they really expand their operation, I can't see any more than 30-40 annually.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the aircraft. I just don't see them meeting the cost / performance goals and with 5 years in with no flying example, these things aren't going to be "flying out the door."

not to mention an unproven auto conversion and and unproven reduction drive that has yet to even run on a test stand. Don't get me wrong, its a good looking airplane, with some great ideas. but im not sure it will ever be delivered, and if so, i don't think they can meet the performance goals and they will never meet the cost goals. look how may carbon airplane kit have been introduced and how many have made it. I wish them luck, but I just don't see it happening.
bob

not to mention an unproven auto conversion and and unproven reduction drive that has yet to even run on a test stand. Don't get me wrong, its a good looking airplane, with some great ideas. but im not sure it will ever be delivered, and if so, i don't think they can meet the performance goals and they will never meet the cost goals. look how may carbon airplane kit have been introduced and how many have made it. I wish them luck, but I just don't see it happening.
bob

They ran it on a test stand I believe last month. But, test stand vs the conditions that it will be required to operate under are two different things. We'll have to wait and see.

The airport is 30 minutes from me so I await the first flight with anticipation.

They ran it on a test stand I believe last month. But, test stand vs the conditions that it will be required to operate under are two different things. We'll have to wait and see.

The airport is 30 minutes from me so I await the first flight with anticipation.

very true, the history of reduction drives and auto conversions is poor at best. the crank bearings on an auto engine were never designed for the loads that are put on it by a re-drive system, and the harmonics are a real bi..h to design out. I wish them luck but time will tell.

bob

Back