Pirep for Columbus OH

Rneuwirth

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Rneuwirth
My daughter is moving to Dublin OH, a suburb of Columbus just west of Ohio State. I'll be visiting four or five times a year, flying out, staying for 3-4 days then off for home. Flying my Mooney Ovation. Looking for local knowledge about airports. KOSU is closest but we'll not be associated in any way with the university. Bolton (KTZR) or Columbus Southwest (041) are pretty close too. Does anyone use Port Columbus (KCMH) for small private planes??

She was at the University of Iowa. KIOW with KCID as backup was wonderful.

Any local knowledge and experience will help.

Thanks

You don't need affiliation for KOSU. Friends used to fly there to go shopping guide along Sawmill Rd. Port Columbus / John Glenn is a drive from Dublin. Call them for their rates, I have to been in ~4 years; expect to fly airline patterns, they liked to turn me downwind 6-8 nm out.

P.S.-- Bolton Field has pretty good barbecue (JP's? PJ's? one of them). Never drove away from there, I lived east of town.

OSU is very friendly and I use them all the time. Way better for Dublin than CMH. 4I3 is pretty good, but the drive is a little farther.

I have a daughter and son-in-law that live in Dublin. I am in Dayton, but plan to move to Dublin/Hilliard soon. When I fly to visit and will probably base there as well is Marysville. Great little GA airport, lots of friendly folks there, Eric who manages the FBO is top notch. Best of all, only easy 15-20 min drive to Dublin right out 33. Check it out.

OSU would be closest for Dublin. MRT is another option, especially depending what side of Dublin she's on.

I'm based at Bolton but I live downtown. For Dublin, I would agree with others to go to KOSU. It's affiliated with the university but is just as public an airport as any other.

Last edited:
What the others are saying. OSU is perfectly usable for anyone out of town. That said, if you want to hangar your aircraft while you're here TZR is the better bet. They have 7 hangars open and will have 8 after this month.

Been to both OSU and CMH, both will suffice. While OSU is owned by the university, it is still just a public airport complete with FBO. For going to Dublin I'd recommend OSU.

CMH is like any other mid-size commercial airport, complete with fees for the little guys. Still a nice airport, but definitely aimed at the bigger crowd.

My daughter is moving to Dublin OH, a suburb of Columbus just west of Ohio State. I'll be visiting four or five times a year, flying out, staying for 3-4 days then off for home. Flying my Mooney Ovation. Looking for local knowledge about airports. KOSU is closest but we'll not be associated in any way with the university. Bolton (KTZR) or Columbus Southwest (041) are pretty close too. Does anyone use Port Columbus (KCMH) for small private planes??

She was at the University of Iowa. KIOW with KCID as backup was wonderful.

Any local knowledge and experience will help.

Thanks
You don't have to be associated with the University to use KOSU. You are welcome (unless you are from Michigan. ;-) ). The picture on my avatar is on the ramp at OSU. I have been into most of the Columbus area airports including CMH. You may want to check the ramp fees there. It has been a few years and they did not make us pay. I have heard from others it has gotten expensive.

Back