Overspill in economy

Katamarino

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Katamarino
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40479311

"As soon as I sat down, the gentleman on my left began LOUDLY huffing, sighing, and readjusting himself in his seat"

While the guy might have acted like a bit of an ass, I think I'd be pretty put out if she ended up next to me and spilling into my seat. I'm not sure why she thought that paying for extra leg room would help.

Worse than being fat, she was nosy too. Why was she reading his texts?

Isn't "plus-sized model" an oxymoron?

And I "readjust myself" anywhere I damn well please!

How does this story change if he's the 'plus size' and she behaves the way he did? Is it even a story then?

Why do we choose words that fit our narrative?

Why is it a "plus-sized model"? How do you "fat shame" a plus-sized model? Would it be "plus-size shame" a plus-sized model, or fat shame a fat model? Pick a word and go with it.

BTW, I'm 250lbs and proud.

In the USA, we have a double standard. Like it or not, it exists.
As you get older, most people gain weight. The general philosophy is men become distinguished or have a "beer gut".
Women become fat or lard barges or....

Therefore, if a man complained like this model did, people would just laugh and say what is he talking about. There are some topics which are still considered taboo to discuss: religion, a women's age, and a women's weight. You will notice, that men never enter into consideration in the final two.

Tim

Supposedly, and from the video, it looks like an exit row. Don't they require you not to need a seat belt extender in the exit row? From her photos(ugh) it looks like she'd need an extender.

Wow. What a bee arch. Yeah the guy was a jerk but she shouldn't have been reading his texts in the first place. When he apologized she should have gracefully accepted it and let it go but no she continued to verbally badger him and then post the whole thing on social media. That is uncalled for.

She is fat and gets paid for being fat.

She paid extra to have room on the airplane because she is fat and wanted more room.

She is not able to say she is fat because women cannot say they are fat even though she goes to a job that she has excels in because she is fat.

To quote an old line from King of the Hill.......

It's unfortunate that he chose to write what he wrote. But I get it.

It's unfortunate that she chose to read his texts.

A lot of unfortunate to go around, here.

A few thoughts...

First, were we not all taught at a young age that it was impolite/rude/morally wrong to make fun of someone or heckle them for their physical attributes?

Second, while she may be overweight she's not an extreme case. Maybe the airlines should make bigger seats or if this is an issue for you on either end maybe you should pay for first class or stop whining?

Third, why are hurtful comments made between two adult strangers in a brief window of time news? Like if a friend or family member happens I'd say "oh well gee people suck, sorry that happened" and move on because it's not that big of a deal.

Oh, he also invited her to dinner as they were leaving the flight.....

Perhaps an act of humanity that takes away from the shock value?

<--- That guy isn't fat.

In fact, plenty of threads to confirm Ravioli is not only NOT fat, but probably even TOO thin.

That said... set the way back machine to 1995.

I was a youngster (29) and doing one a business trip. I walk back to my CENTER seat and there were JUMBO women in the aisle and window seats. They had the armrests up and their legs were almost touching.

This was only a transcon from LA to Philly. No biggie (excuse the pun)

I told the flight attendant I'd like a different seat and she said she couldn't help me. Then I said, "you can butter me up and slide me between them, but I won't be happy"

I was re-seated in First.

<--- That guy isn't fat.

In fact, plenty of threads to confirm Ravioli is not only NOT fat, but probably even TOO thin.

I was a youngster (29) and doing one a business trip. I walk back to my CENTER seat and there were JUMBO women in the aisle and window seats. They had the armrests up and their legs were almost touching.

I told the flight attendant I'd like a different seat and she said she couldn't help me. Then I said, "you can butter me up and slide me between them, but I won't be happy"

That's fantastic.

<--- That guy isn't fat.

I had a similar experience on Delta, 1983-ish, Chicago-Houston. It was a man in window, a woman in aisle, both simply huge (not plump, obese). They were chatting animatedly, and were pretty much touching across the middle seat.

Pointed out the problem to a Flight Attendant, who understood the issue - i ended up in an aisle seat iun coach, but had that not been available, she told me they'd have moved me up front.

Had there been no such alternative, I would not have flown that flight.

I suffered the middle seat squeeze on a flight from Houston to Seattle one time. At least it was two men and the tried to stay in their seats.

I was dead heading and that was the only seat available.

Had an aisle seat with a rather large fellow in the center seat. It was okay until he fell asleep. He was a leaner. Fortunately, there were other seats in the back and I hung out there for most of the 14 hour flight.

Had an aisle seat with a rather large fellow in the center seat. It was okay until he fell asleep. He was a leaner. Fortunately, there were other seats in the back and I hung out there for most of the 14 hour flight.

That's why you have elbows. Snuggle one into his ribs, make a fist with that hand and slap it with your other hand. Then look innocent . . .

I few back to Atlanta from Gainesville, FL last month on a CRJ. The guy next to me was a bit plus sized himself. He wasn't fat, just a tall, big boned guy with a bit of a gut. Truth be known, he didn't exactly fit in his seat, he had to splay his legs out and was partly in my space, but there wasn't anything either of us could do about it. There are some people who are in the normal size range that just don't fit in a coach airline seat. There's no comfort section or first class in a CRJ, so short of buying a second seat, this man had no good options. Fortunately the flight was short.

Back